Depth of Comfort Layer

After lurking around the site for a few months and doing more research than I care to admit, I have narrowed my choices down to three.
The 14" Aloe Alexis from BB - http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/14-inch-aloe-latex-mattress
The 12" Bamboo Bliss from BB - http://www.brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/12-inch-bamboo-latex-mattress
or
The King Adjustable Ultra Plush Latex Sleep System from Arizona Premium Mattress. - Latex Mattresses On Sale - Latex Mattress Toppers - Phoenix, AZ

The only question left unanswered that would help me decide is how thick of a comfort layer should I get. I am a 6’2" 230lb side sleeper with an athletic build with wide shoulders. With memory foam I know I should look for at least 4" on comfort layer just so I don’t go straight through to the base foam. Does the same thing stand with latex or does it just come down to the firmness of the latex on whether or not I need 3" or 6"? I generally do prefer a firmer mattress but I don’t want to have to go to firm just to keep from sinking though. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi TweedSAFD,

While it may not be the answer you may be hoping for … the only “real” answer is “just enough” to relieve pressure in all your sleeping positions. The thickness of any specific layer that works best is always relative to the rest of the mattress design. All the layers of a mattress interact with and affect all the other layers so the actual thickness of any layer that is “ideal” would depend on the specifics of all the other layers in the mattress and how that specific combination interacts with your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences. Post #2 here has links to some of the articles that discuss some of the theory and concepts behind layer thickness and ILD for different designs and constructions and a forum search on “critical zone depth cradle” (you can just click this) will bring up more posts that discuss the relationship of the depth of cradle or what I call the “critical zone” to layer thickness and ILD but these are only generic concepts and only your own testing or sleeping experience can tell you whether a specific design provides the best possible balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment. There is no “theory” or formula that can answer this for any specific person without specific reference points based on personal experience but the guidelines can provide a good starting point for those who want to become more involved with the specs of their mattress design.

Post #14 here also has some information about the potential benefits of thicker layers or mattresses for higher weights that may be useful.

In most cases though … there are “many roads to Rome” (Rome being the mattress design that provides the ideal combination of pressure relief and alignment) and there are usually several different designs that can provide a similar outcome.

Phoenix

Thanks for the response Phoenix. This does help a little. I am leaning away from the thicker Aloe Alexis from BB and more towards either the 12" Bamboo Bliss or possibly the Dreamfoam King Eurotop:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Queen-Eurotop-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YC2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1378525706&sr=8-4&keywords=dreamfoam+mattress

I emailed Dreamfoam about the difference between these two mattresses and apparently the only real difference is that the BB version uses 2.17lb base foam while the Dreamfoam version uses 1.5lb base foam. Would that really be noticeable in the overall feel of the bed or only in the durability/longevity of the mattress?

I was doing a little more looking online and came across this mattress from Dreamfoam :
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Queen-Natural-Mattress/dp/B008E0LZHA/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1378525933&sr=8-17&keywords=dreamfoam+mattress

According to the description on this one they are using 2.35lb base foam with a 3" Dunlop comfort layer. The price seems pretty reasonable for that type of material. Besides the Dunlop feeling firmer than Talalay at the same ild would there be any problem in using it as the comfort layer? I could always buy a 2-3" Talalay topper if I found it to firm to soften up the feel.

Hi TweedSAFD,

The choice between Talalay and Dunlop is a matter of personal preference and both of them come in a range of firmness levels. Dunlop feels firmer than Talalay in the same ILD (softness level) because it has a higher compression modulus (which means it gets firmer faster as you compress it more than Talalay because it is a denser type of latex). You can read more about the different types of latex in this article and in post #6 here and there is more about the different “feel” of Dunlop vs Talalay in post #7 here.

My personal preference is Talalay (which is what I sleep on) and my daughter’s personal preference is Dunlop (which is what she sleeps on) and she would have none of my Talalay preference … just to highlight that it really is a matter of preference and not a “better or worse” choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well after a little more shopping and testing around town today I think I have finally made a decision. I am going to go with the BB 12" Bamboo Bliss. The company and their products seem to get very high marks around here and the option of changing/replacing the latex layer is very nice. I will order it this week and report back once I get a little time on it. Thanks for all the help Phoenix.

Hi TweedSAFD,

The Bamboo Bliss uses all good quality materials, and has great value. As you mentioned it also allows a customer to exchange the comfort layer when necessary so that you also have options after a purchase which adds to the value of your purchase…

I think you made a good choice and congratulations on your new mattress … I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and had a chance to sleep on it for a bit :slight_smile:

Phoenix