Details on the Christeli PALAIS GRAND ROYALE

Does anyone know the foam densities and types of the PGR?
1" Firmer Memory Foam - ?lb
4" Plusher Memory Foam - ?lb
7’ Latex supper layer - ?LDF, type of latex and natural to synthetic ratio
3" Firmer Memory Foam - ?lb
Edge foam - type and ?lb
I’m trying to understand how to compare this mattress to other high-end memory foam mattresses.

Hi jadespider,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The specifications I have on the Christeli Palais Grand Royale are:
Comfort Module Stand-alone (this module swapped for support)
1" of 5.3 lb. firmer Super Cool™ Memory Foam
4" of 5.3 lb. softer Super Cool™ Memory Foam
Support Base Module stand-alone, Edge support encasement
7" of Natural Latex Foam 5 zone Support Base
3" of 5.3 lb. firmer Super Cool™ Memory Foam (this module swapped for comfort)

I do not have the polyfoam rail density and ILD, but that would less important that the comfort and support layers. Side foam rail encasements are commonly quite high in ILD (40-50 range), with densities in the 1.5 lb+ range.

Phoenix

Christeli reply to me with these specifications
5" Comfort top with:
1" 5lb 20ILD Memory foam
4" 4lb 10ILD Memory foam
Latex Ortho Core
3" Comfort Top with:
3" 5lb 20ILD Memory Foam

It still sounds like a very nice mattress but I wish I could feel it before I invested money in it. I wonder if Tempurpedic Could Supreme would match the feel. Also what type of box foundation would be good for this mattress? I don’t like Christeli metal foundation.
I’ve also been looking at the Pure Talalay Bliss Beautiful or Reverie Dream Supreme 2 hybrid mattress. Would either of those be compatible to a Tempuredic/Christeli or is it an apple to orange comparison?

Hi jadespider,

Thanks for providing the results of your chat with Christeli. Those specifications don’t line up with what they provided me, so I’ll double check to see if I made a mistake. Thanks!

The Cloud Supreme would be best described as a “soft” mattress in the Tempurpedic lineup. It uses 1.2" TEMPUR-ES 4.1LB memory foam on top of 2.75" TEMPUR Material 5.3LB memory foam. The support system consists of a 3" polyfoam base at 2.0LB on top of a 5" polyfoam base at 2.0LB. As you’re aware, the Palais Grand Royale uses different materials in a different arrangement, most notably the use of a latex core (versus polyfoam in the Tempurpedic). I don’t know that testing the Cloud Supreme would be a very accurate comparison to the Palais Grand Royale (Christeli compares it to the old Grandbed (more in features than feel, I believe), which also didn’t have latex in it). Christeli will be the first one to tell you that their models don’t imitate Tempurpedic (or any other brand), as their mattresses use slightly different materials and won’t feel identical. The comparisons are best used as “references”, and they say their Madeline is a closer “comparable” item to the Cloud Supreme. I know that for some people shopping in-store is preferable for something that can be so subjective like a mattress.

Per Christeli: You can use your existing box spring if it’s in new condition. You can also place your Christeli mattress on a platform bed, the floor or a slatted bed frame — just make sure the slats are no further apart than four inches. If they are indeed wider, you can use plywood or a bunkie board.

There’s more information about appropriate foundations for latex or memory foam mattresses in the foundation thread here.

These are very different items. The Beautiful is an all Talalay latex mattress (no memory foam at all) and the Reverie uses their Dreamcell latex “springs” combined with latex and memory foam – again, a very different item, and not something that would at all be “comparable” to the Palais Grand Royale. There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place). Especially in this scenario, as these two items are quite different from what you’re considering and you could only rate them on the comfort that they specifically provide.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I was trying, on forum, to find out more information on Reverie Dream 2 Supreme Hybrid. I really like the reconfigurable dream cell idea but I want to make sure it’s a good investment.

Hi jadespider,

The last specifications I have on the Reverie line are in post #6 here, which is the last generation.

Overall … while they are a higher budget choice … they would certainly be well worth considering for those that believe they would benefit from a customizable DreamCell zoning system.

I’ll work on getting the specifications on the new line.

Phoenix

This is what I’ve been worried about ever since a Christeli rep told me Christeli no longer discloses the density of their foam materials. I’m not sure if the 4 lb density is unique to the Palais, but many of their mattresses have that same 4" memory foam layer beneath a higher-density memory foam layer. I am going to call them again later this morning and see if there is any way they can let me know what the density is of their Charleston and Daniel layers. If not, I will have to assume that each of their mattresses has a 4" 4 lb memory foam layer and cross Christeli off fo the list, as I am 225 pounds and need to keep my foam layers at that 5 lb+ density level. It’s beginning to seem like very few companies, if any, are still using 5 lb+ in their comfort layers. If they do, they aren’t disclosing it. I may end up with a Temour-Pedic since the model I’m after is confirmed to have the 7 lb/5lb comfort layer. That dogone price though, man…

:sick:

:silly:

Hi Phoenix! Did you ever find out from Christeli what the actual density of the comfort layers of foam in the Palais are? I’m getting a little concerned with the Christeli and their transparency. I’ve mentioned this in other threads but I spoke to a sales rep a few days ago who informed me that Christel no longer discloses their density figures. That info, coupled with the the fact that they reportedly went from an 8 lb top layer to a 6 lb top layer, and now possibly to a 5 lb top layer, is concerning. Admittedly, I’m basing the 5 lb top layer statement off of the data in this thread (Palais mattress) but the Danieli, which I am considering, has the same 1" firmer layer and 4" softer layer configuration as the Palais, as do a few of their other mattresses. I may be wrong but am assuming they’re using the same density for all of the 1" firmer top layers. Also, if their 4" softer layer is now using 4 lb foam, that would be a deal-breaker and quite surprising, given their price point. I’ve spoken to a rep from the company again this morning and she says she will call me back when she gets info on the densities.

I’ve also been wondering what your thoughts are about thicker comfort layers of memory foam. For example, most Tempur-Pedic Contour series mattresses have a 1.2" to 2" 7 lb layer and a 2" to 2.8" 5 lb layer. This is a total of 4". How might a mattress with a 2" comfort layer with an additional 4" comfort layer beneath it feel relative to one with less foam, assuming they had the same specs and were manufactured by the same company? Lastly, is there anything else about a thicker grouping of comfort layers that might stand out that you’re aware of?