Details on the Eight mattress

Talked to the customer service for the Eight mattresses and here is what I found
2" Synthetic Latex 3lb 12ILD - Guessing this more like a polyfoam layer and not latex
2" Visco Memory Foam 4lb 11ILD
2" 1.8lb Polyfoam 22ILD
4" 1.8lb Polyfoam 35ILD
All foams are CertiPUR-US but no details on factory location
Looks like the layers are good for someone with a weight below 250

Personally, I’m trying to figure out if it’s better to get a latex or memory foam mattress.

Hi jadespider,

The Eight Sleep mattress has been mentioned previously here on the forum. You can read more about it in post #44 here. They’ve expanded their lineup since that last post.

Your specifications are just a bit incorrect. The top layer is one of the new breed of what I term " high performance" polyfoams , and it is 2" of 12 ILD 3 lb density. They list is as “latex-like” on their web site, but it is polyfoam. Beneath that is 2" of 11 ILD 4 lb memory foam. Under this is a 2" piece of 22 ILD 1.8 lb poly foam and then a 4" piece of 35 ILD 1.8 lb polyfoam (these two layers are not memory foam as you had listed). These would be good quality materials for most, but I would provide a caution for someone in the “above 200 pounds or so range” with the 1.8 lb support core and the 4 lb memory foam. I’m not quite sure what you’re referencing regarding a BMI score of 250.

When choosing between latex and memory foam, like so many things, it can come down to simple personal preferences. Latex has an unusual combination of surface softness and deeper firmness/support that comes from its elasticity, it’s point elasticity (ability to conform to the shape of a body) and its compression modulus (the ability to get firmer faster with deeper compression than other types of foam). This means that it can enhance the pressure relieving layers above it because of its surface softness and point elasticity but it is also very supportive and can “stop” the heavier parts of the body from sinking in too deeply. It is also very resilient (it returns a high percentage of the energy of compression instead of absorbing it like memory foam which has very low resilience) so it can enhance the “feel” of the mattress by making it more responsive and more adaptable to different body profiles and sleeping positions rather than the less responsive feeling of memory foam or the stiffer and less adaptable characteristics of polyfoam. Latex is also a very durable material (it’s the most durable of all the foam types) so it can add to the durability of a mattress compared to other materials but the deeper layers of a mattress have less effect on mattress durability (a mattress will soften and break down from the top down) and more of an effect on performance and support/alignment so this would be less of a factor in its use. Some people prefer the more “buoyant” feel of latex, while others prefer the motion-deadening feel of memory foam. Regardless of what you choose, make sure you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Does this mean that the claims for the new foams such as Titan Flex claiming to be more durable than Latex are not true?

Hi Napper,

Durability can be measured in many different ways, and I can’t speak to the specific measurements made by different foam companies in their comparisons and their products and exactly how their tests were conducted, how they are evaluating durability, and exactly what types of foams they are using as their baselines for comparisons. You see this mostly with temperature coolness claims, but it is rare that specifics are given as to what foam is being compared to the foam being promoted. There are some very durable newer generation polyfoams that hold shape extremely well, and depending upon the test parameters, they can test out better than certain types/blends/brands of latex. The TitanFlex foam tested out better than latex in an accelerated age study, but it’s rare that the specifics of such studies (type of latex compared to, how strength and durability were measured) are provided in complete detail. So I don’t believe the claims are false. But overall, latex will tend to be the most durable foam type across the board.

Phoenix