DFW/ATX

Hello all.

First i’d like the thank Phoenix for running this forum… and without any advertising too, I’m almost confused how this place exists!!!

M/5’11 and will be ~175-180lb area in the coming months.

I went to UM in Dallas and I liked the Dunlopillo branded Ambiance mattress in luxury plush. I did enjoy it on the PPP scale and purports 36% latex (from what I was told by weight, so there’s roughly 28% latex in the layers.). Based on my research here, I do feel somewhat uncomfortable with buying a majorly memory foam mattress v all latex or even an interspring/latex hybrid

I’m concerned about the foam layers linked here:
http://sherwoodbedding.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Duniopillo_Digis_062014.pdf

Based on that diagram, the latex layer looks much less than 28% of the layer makeup. Does the latex provide functionality here even @ 28% sandwiched between foam?

In theory, are these top comfort level layers of “Hyper soft” & softer foams majorly a bad idea? I’m curious whether “soft foam” is another word for “low density” which as I understand signifies low quality.

Does the layering in the ultra firm look potentially more sound with 2 layers of latex layered + the fact i’ll be adding 20lbs to my weight shortly? (ps i’d prefer not needing a topper upfront and the firm didn’t seem as comfortable)

I’ve requested manufacturer information from UM and will receive what they have via email today.

The bed is in the $2k range for king. They also have most sherwood/lumina lines there. Any thoughts on a better value proposition for me in the DFW / ATX area based on my basic concerns above?

I’m slightly uncomfortable visiting mattress factory (although I’ve seen you own a custom bed from here) as It seems too much of a mom-and-pop shop (and try to avoid Ft Worth as much as possible)… I’m thinking I may do custom for my next bed instead :slight_smile:

Best regards

Hi hermanski,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us.

Every layer of a mattress will have some effect on the other layers above and below it and on the mattress as a whole but how the latex layers would affect the mattress as a whole and how much effect it would have would depend on the specifics of the latex layers (firmness, layer thickness) and on the specifics of the foam above and below it. You probably wouldn’t be able to identify the specific effect it was having because you will feel the mattress “as a whole” but if you changed the latex layers with other materials with different properties then you would probably be able to feel a difference. Thinner layers will have less effect and contribute less of the “feel” and properties of latex than thicker layers.

As you know the percentages on the law tag are based on weight and latex is a denser and heavier material than most polyfoam (although it may be lighter than some memory foam) so the percentage of latex in the mattress based on thickness would probably be less than the percentage based on weight but it would depend on the densities of the other foam layers. I would want to know the actual thickness of all the layers in a mattress along with the other specs that you will need to make an informed choice about any mattress … not just a percentage (see this article).

They are certainly a potential weak link in the mattress in terms of durability but it will depend on the thickness and the density of the polyfoam layers. lower quality or unknown layers that are “about an inch or so” or less are generally fine but if there are 2" or more of lower quality/density polyfoam in the upper layers of a mattress then I would consider it to be a weak link in a mattress and I would tend to avoid it (see the quality/durability guidelines here)

The firmness or softness of polyfoam isn’t related to its density and any density of polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels so while density has little to do with the firmness or comfort of a material … it is the single biggest factor in the durability of a material.

I can’t speak to the comfort or suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP because your testing will be a much more reliable way to know that than any “theory at a distance”. I don’t see an Ambiance ultra firm (I only see the luxury firm and the luxury plush eurotop) … but how much “good stuff” there is in a mattress doesn’t matter if there is too much “bad stuff” and to know whether a mattress has a weak link you would need to know the thickness and density and position of all the polyfoam layers regardless of how much latex may be in the mattress. If you can’t find out the information you need then you would be making a much more risky purchase than I would consider and I would pass the mattress by

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Dallas/Ft Worth area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for the quick reply Phoenix.

I’ve received spec information.

QUILT SPEC FR Fiber
7/8" Hyper Soft
7/8" Hyper Soft

MATT BUILD
( Top to Bottom )
1" Graphite Talalay Topper
1.5" 1.5 / 15 S. Soft Topper
.9" 19 ILD Talalay Latex
1.75" 1.5 / 23 Topper
1.75" 1.5 / 23 Topper
3.5" o 2.5" 1.8/32 Convoluted
7/8" 1.45 / 40 Firm Base foam

I’ve read over your poly guide.

To confirm, in theory the 2 7/8 7/8 hyper soft “quilt” layers could be high density (and high quality) foam despite not being disclosed (along with its ILD) on the spec sheet?

As you can see the “super soft” 1.5" layer is listed at 1.5lb density - however again in theory the hypersoft layers could still be high density and thus layers of high quality? – just playing devils advocate, because i’m not sure why the manufacture conveniently left out the density and ILD of these “quilt layers” to begin with.

Also, despite the densities being undisclosed thus far, the top 2 “quilt” layers are still under 1" each and supposedly purposed for quilting - would this really be a major concern as a weak link? (still under the 2inch mark that you’ve mentioned before)

Assuming that the 2 quilt layers are higher quality - the 4 layers of High density foam between latex layers (although not the 2.0# that you seem to have recommended before) are potentially more than sufficient for the long term durability and performance for myself vs a person of more weight? Again I am not a heavy person in general.

How do you feel these listed ILD’s stack up? It seems the layers are ascending in ILD values (which seems to be a good sign of core support + the comfort that I felt.) Why do you think they added the last 7/8 of 1.45lb at the base? Also, despite being 1.45LB in density, It is listed as firm with a high ILD… technically this could also be considered higher quality?

Thank you ahead of time for any insights you may have here - and hope your mattress forum continues to prosper.

J.Hermanski

Hi hermanski,

In the guidelines I suggest making sure that there is “no more than about an inch or so of lower quality/density or unknown materials” in the upper layers of a mattress and this mattress is certainly more than that.

The two quilting layers by themselves would be a weak link (almost 2" of unknown and probably lower density polyfoam) and in the next 7" of the mattress there is about 2" of Talalay latex which is a high quality material but there is also 5" of 1.5 lb polyfoam which is also lower quality/density than I would be comfortable with in a one sided mattress and I would suggest 1.8 lb density or higher would be more suitable unless you are in a very low budget range.

Overall these aren’t specs that I wouldn’t be comfortable with and that I would consider to be a weak link in the mattress even though they are better than some of their major brand competitors who are often even worse.

The ILD’s are comfort specs that indicate the softness/firmness of a material and have nothing to do with the quality of the materials.

Phoenix