Difference between UD mattress and UD Natural Mattress?

Can anyone please tell me what is the difference between Ultimate Dreams mattress and their Ultimate Dreams Natural mattress?

I see one is Talalay and the other is Dunlop, but is there a difference between “latex” and “natural latex”?

Also, one is polyfoam, and the other is just listed as “foam”

I am looking on their website here- http://www.dreamfoambedding.com/

Hi stockdog,

Post #6 here should help you compare them :slight_smile:

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here. Latex is “differentiated” both by the manufacturing process (Dunlop or Talalay) and by the percentage of natural or synthetic rubber that is used to make it. The word “latex” covers anything that uses latex in any form (Dunlop or Talalay that is made from either natural rubber, synthetic rubber, or a blend of both).

The word “foam” is just a generic term that means a material that is made to have air bubbles inside it. It can refer to any version of the three main foam materials that are used in mattresses which are polyfoam, memory foam, or latex foam. Both mattresses use latex as the comfort layer and have a polyfoam support core so they are both latex/polyfoam hybrid mattresses although the specific type of polyfoam and latex that is used in both of them are different.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix.

Do you know the blend between NR and SR in the Talalay mattress?

And I am assuming that the Natural mattress is 100% NR, dunlop?

Do you have any information about the offgassing in NR vs. SR/blended? I have heard many people say that SR will offgas harmful vapors for many years and NR does not.

Hi stockdog,

Blended Talalay latex uses about 30% natural rubber and 70% synthetic rubber in the compounding formula.

As far as I’m aware … the Dunlop uses 100% natural rubber yes (although they would be the most reliable source for this type of information and you will need to talk with them anyway about your firmness choice). Just for the sake of clarity … this doesn’t mean that the only material in any foamed latex layer is rubber because there are also other substances needed in the compounding formula to make the foamed latex core (see post #11 here).

All the latex you are likely to encounter has been tested using the same testing protocols for harmful substances and VOC’s and in practical terms I would treat them all as being equally “safe” regardless of whether it uses natural or synthetic rubber in the formula (see post #2 here).

Phoenix