Disappointed in St Dormier mattress cover

Thanks for actually calling them. I send an email thurs night, and didn’t get a response yet.

There is no chance that this is the wrong tag.

Hi beanbag,

Your tag indicates queen size (60" x 80") so it seems to me that either the amount of wool listed on the tag or the description on their site is wrong. It will be interesting to see what they say when they reply to your email.

Phoenix

We are interested in this cover also. Did you ever get a reply from ST. Dormier?

No. I guess it is time to call.

When I called them, I asked how much wool the mattress protector was supposed to have. The nice person on the phone said 150g/sq m, or 4.something oz / sq yard. Which matches what I have. She said she got that info on the price list. When I asked why the website says 250 g, she wasn’t sure about that, and said that nobody currently at the office knew whether the website was always wrong, or whether some long time ago they changed it.

The fact of the matter is that all the info you will see on the internet is wrong, and you are getting less wool than you expect. 150g/sq m is a pretty thin layer. Go to REI and find the most insultingly thin Smartwool base layer, and that’s what you are getting.

Hi beanbag,

Thanks for sharing the results of your call … I appreciate it.

It’s strange to me that they don’t have accurate specs about their protector or many other sites across the internet but the thinner layer of wool may also be the reason they have less effect on the “feel” of the mattress than other wool/cotton mattress protectors.

Regardless of the amount of wool (which I agree should be listed accurately) … they have some great feedback about their protector from many good retailers and manufacturers that recommend them with their mattresses and they work well.

I’ve edited the description of the St Dormeir in the mattress protector post here and linked it to your post so that at least one place has some accurate specs :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Phoenix

Beanbag,

I was considering this protector. Do you still like the protector besides the fact that the information on the website was incorrect. Does it mess with the feel and comfort of the latex mattress that much?

Hi sleepypeepy,

Yes … I liked it before I knew that the specs were incorrect (even though they were the same) and I still like it but more importantly so do many of the better retailers that I know that recommend it for their high quality latex (and other) mattresses. It’s probably the cotton/wool protector that has the least effect on a mattress.

Phoenix

I don’t have any comments on how it affects the feel of the mattress because I have not compared it to other covers/protectors. Also, I think my mattress cover/case and fitted sheet are not that stretchy either, so I can’t tell. However, I know that it is possible to get much thicker layers of wool in a stretch knit, if that is what you are looking for. For example, if you go to REI, and feel some of the thicker wool base layer fabrics, they are still stretchy. The St Dormier is basically two puffy terry cotton layers with a thin wool layer sandwiched in the middle. It is not particularly stretchy, but more “loose”, and also, the wool sort of acts like a lubricant that lets the terry layers slide.

Hi beanbag,

I think the main benefit of the St Dormeir vs other types that are similar is that it has less wool and is thinner and more stretchy than many other wool / cotton protectors and has less effect on the feel of the mattress.

I own the NaturaProtect Deluxe which is also a similar type or cotton/wool protector but it has more wool and the cotton that is on both sides of the wool is a sateen not a more stretchy terry like the Dormeir so it is thicker and less stretchy. It also has a semi breathable waterproof membrane used as a backing. Overall its greater thickness and lower stretch means it has a bigger effect on the feel of the mattress.

If I had to do it over again I would probably choose the Dormeir because it does what it’s supposed to do and is a thinner water resistant cover that has less effect on the feel of the mattress. Of course if someone wanted a protector that had more wool and the amount of wool was the most important factor then the Dormeir wouldn’t be the best choice but for me thinner and more stretchy would be my preference. There are also mattress pads available that have more wool than either of them.

I didn’t see a mattress protector on the REI site which is more focused on athletic or outdoor equipment and apparel so I’m not sure what you are comparing it to.

Phoenix

Just measured a 12" Drop Queen Protector total weight of 62.5 oz which if you divide by 3.7 square yards you get 16.9oz/yd. Now this is including the fabric (I did take it out of the package) and the skirt which is just one layer of the fabric and the elastic. When I calculated sample fabric’s without the skirt and the elastic I extrapolated a weight of around 13oz/yd. This is not on a perfectly calculated size of fabric. But I suspect that St. Geneves measurement of 250gsm is actually pretty close.

That being said I cannot explain the tag saying 16.4 oz of wool. But it does make sense to me that the fabric is likely about half of the weight of the protector.

When I said REI, I was talking about base layers, which are wool shirts and pants. Anybody can go there and see just what 150g/m^2 vs 250g/m^2 feel like.

Hi beanbag,

The material in wool shirts and pants wouldn’t be comparable to a mattress protector which uses compressed wool and cotton terry on both sides. If you used the same material they were using in their shirts and pants on a mattress it wouldn’t have the same properties, water resistance, or feel as the protector.

Phoenix

For what it’s worth, it looks like St. Geneve changed their website:

http://www.stgeneve.com/products/Protectors/Mattress/St.Dormeir-mattress.htm

Now says 150 gsm / 4.5 oz per sq yard

Hi dn,

Nice catch :slight_smile:

I guess that solves the mystery of the amount of wool they use.

Phoenix

After considering on using an old mattress protector we had ~2 years old with our new SleepEZ 10,000, my wife and I have decided to upgrade the mattress protector as well. After researching a bunch of different protectors we decided on the St Dormier mattress cover for the wool and cotton combination to help us get the most out of our latex bed.

I am hoping we find this fits our PPP for our new mattress.

Thanks all for your comments regarding the St Dormier.

I have a new memory foam mattress that sleeps very hot in comparison to my old inner spring mattress and I’m trying a St Dormier pad to see if it helps regulate temperature. I’m a small side sleeper so have a soft mattress & soft topper but still find it a little hard on the shoulders. Like the OP I was surprised to see how thin this pad is when it arrived. However I love the feel of it and I think it does provide a thermal layer that helps to wick heat away during the night. I also love how I can still feel the softness of the mattress under it but somehow it has taken away the slight rubbery feel of the foam. I guess the body loves natural products. Because it’s so light and stretchy though it doesn’t introduce any tautness at all but just a little more cozy softness. The tips that Phoenix gave for side sleepers (pillow behind back and one under free arm) sound great…will try tonight!

Hi Demeter,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!:)!

Congrats on the St Dormier pad!

Yes, generally the issue of the sleeping microclimate on a mattress is a complex one. Heat and the inability to reposition, both tend to be characteristics of memory foam, especially when compared to previously sleeping on an innerspring mattress. Generally, Innerspring mattresses, do a good job of sleeping cool since they have less foam to trap heat in the mattress, but even so, some innerspring mattresses still end up sleeping hot depending on the very top layer of foam.

I am glad that you are enjoying new pad mattress combo and that it is just right, for you to still feel the softness of the mattress, You are correct that layers that are closer to the top sleeping surface will have the greatest impact upon comfort and sleeping temperature (including your mattress pad, sheets, and linen). There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here.

Thank you for mentioning the pillow sleep tips for side sleepers for any other consumer members that are reading your post. Pillows are a very personal choice and different people will have very different pillow preferences or different opinions about what they perceive as firm and soft or the general type of pillow that “feels” good to them but some of the information in the pillow thread here and the posts it links to can help you choose a pillow that is the best “match” for you and the mattress you are sleeping on.

Thank you again, and let us know how it works out in the long term!

Phoenix

I, too, am disappointed in the St. Dormier mattress protector. I bought it based on the many reviews on this site stating how thin it is and how it would not interfere with the feel of the mattress. I wanted something made of natural fibres and was o.k. with water resistance rather than waterproofing, so it seemed like a logical choice.

The protector is well made and flexible/stretchy. Beanbag notes that it doesn’t contain much wool; I can’t comment on that, but the entire protector (wool/cotton combined) is VERY puffy – I measured mine and it is more than 1/2" thick. That’s not what I would consider thin by any stretch of the imagination! My membrane protector, by comparison, is only 1/8" thick, including the cotton terry top.

My mattress, thankfully, is wonderful as is, but, adding this protector significantly affected the feel. The additional padding transformed my plush mattress to a much firmer surface, so much so, that I could no longer lay comfortably on my side without feeling pressure. I would consider it a mattress PAD rather than a protector.

Additionally, this expensive protector cannot be returned – something I neglected to check before ordering online. I’ve now learned my lesson on that front!

I’ll be continuing to look for something thinner and made of natural fibers; perhaps a wool puddle pad? All the ones I’ve seen online are 1/4" thick and supposedly soft so perhaps would not add that extra bit of firmness that alters the surface feel. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has used one regarding that.

I’ll echo your comments here, the St. Dormier absolutely has an effect on the feel of the mattress. I use it on a latex hybrid mattress and for sure it feels firmer with the St. Dormier on, like 10% firmer. It also makes a noise, like a slight rustling sound. I imagine that will go away over time but that was the first thing I noticed when I laid down sideways. That said, it’s a fine product. It’s well made and it also keeps the fitted sheet in place better than other mattress protectors. Something about the way the material grabs is perfect for the application.

I also bought a CozyPure organic cotton stretch knit mattress protector and it’s really nice too. It has zero effect on the conforming ability of the latex and it is really comfortable. I use it more often than not. I like the fact that I can switch out the CozyPure with the St. Dormier if I feel like firming up the mattress a touch or just having a different feel for a while. Sometimes it’s nice to change things up. I don’t know if I would go to the extent to say the St. Dormier is a pad and not a protector but I think over time once it’s broken in more it will be more like what you and I were expecting.

I didn’t want to be $500 into mattress protectors but I’m glad I pulled the trigger on that cause the ability to adjust the feel of the mattress according to my preference is pretty great.