Disinfecting a latex mattress

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!
I purchased an Organicpedic Duo in July and posted here about my horrible delivery experience. Long story short, the delivery men sweat (profusely!) all over the new mattress - layers and all. We were unable to reach any agreement with the seller or manufacturer and then life got in the way. OMI was also unable to answer my questions to see if the cover and layers could be cleaned other than to confirm the cover could not be washed.

I am looking for ways to sanitize the mattress cover and layers. Any ideas? Through a google article from Casper mattress they recommend baking soda and misting with diluted essential oils. Any other ideas?

Hi dazedandconfused123.

Thank you for your kind wishes! :slight_smile:

Generally, latex is antibacterial and light cleaning/disinfecting should be enough to clean/disinfect your mattress, but I would always double check with the store/manufacturer that the procedure you intend to use does not affect the warranty of your product

If you are going to order the Lifekind and OMI detergent, as you mentioned in a previous post, I would recommend that you phone them first and let them know specifically how you are looking to use it to make sure that it is appropriate (they should be familiar with your mattress as the companies are “related”) are both owned by Walt Bader.

I would be cautious using any oils, fats, or heavy metals like copper can these can be very harmful and damage the latex.
You can use water (not harmful to latex) and/or very mild detergents or isopropyl alcohol to spot clean it (Make sure to blot, rather than rub the affected area with a damp white cloth to soak up any detergents or residual cleaning agents) then let it air dry in low light before re-covering it. You can sprinkle it with baking soda and leave it in for about a half an hour to help disinfect it and remove any odor then soak up any excess water, let it dry and then vacuum it off making sure to not rip off the latex in the process.

If you are looking for cleaning all the way through I would vacuum it first. I would then use only cold water and then with a sponge … soak and gently (the foam can tear) press out any excess water several times (or use a piece of dowel or something similar to roll over it carefully) and then soak up as much water as possible with clean absorbent cloths or a chamois so it is as dry as possible. Then let it dry indoors away from any direct light sources or any other sources of harmful exposure (such as electrical machinery that produces ozone) until it is dry. Avoid any exposure to direct sunlight which can destroy latex. You could use a fan to speed up the drying process, but I would be cautious using heat in the as this may cure the foam and change its characteristics.

Hydrogen peroxide would be another alternative to baking soda followed by gently blotting with a water only damp cloth.

I hope this is helpful and wish you all the best for the New Year.
Phoenix

So would having an ozone treatment to my house, which has 3 latex mattresses in it, be bad for my mattresses? We are currently having this treatment done now (it lasts for 20 hours) to deal with a persistent musty smell in our house (despite not having mold - it’s just an old house), and now I’m panicking that we will also be destroying our extremely expensive latex mattresses! The owner of the company who is overseeing the treatment did some research and said that it might take a month or so off the overall life of the mattresses, but it won’t damage them. But he also didn’t really know how to answer my question at first (he said the mattresses would be fine since they’re a petroleum based product…which they definitely aren’t!). I would be fine with the mattresses’ lives being shortened by a month (or hell, even a year!) to have our house smelling better, but it definitely wouldn’t be worth damaging them or making them last significantly less time than they normally would. : / Please help! We’re 4 hours into the 20 hour treatment and I don’t know what to do!

HI Kalm. You can rest easy. You shouldn’t expect any deleterious effect on your mattress. I am aware of a latex mattress company that actually suggests an ozone machine to customers if they find they are sensitive to the smell of latex or wool.

I am confused re: this information, because there is copper-infused latex in mattresses now. {Talalay Global produces copper-infused latex [as well as graphite (mainly for Fire Retardant regs) and Celsion (gel for cooling)].} I’ve read the durability section at TMU and understand that all types of latex (natural, synthetic, and blended) are to be considered durable overall, yet the above info on copper confuses me; is the copper-infused latex durable then? It’s considered a phase changing material(PCM).

What are your thoughts on the other PCMs such as HeiQ, Outlast, and 37.5, etc.?

I’m just trying to figure out things for an informed mattress and topper purchases.

Hi lotsarsrch.

I am not a foam chemist but generally speaking copper (Cu) would have an oxidative effect as copper is an oxygen carrier. In addition to this the presence of grease or oils would facilitate the copper oxidation) Research papers (such as this paper here) attribute the action of copper to the formation of copper chloride which acts as an oxidative accelerator.

Some of the latex producers use fillers in their specialty products (such as TGs “Talalay mineral”) but the Cu in it is microencapsulated as to mitigate the antagonistic impact copper has against latex. and is also used to improve the processability and heat transfer (due to the increased surface area) of the PCM. The amount of Cu that is added to the latex is, of course, part of a formulation which is proprietary, but it would be done in such a quantity as to not negatively impact durability. The benefits of Cu used as a filler in both memory foam and latex are connected with its thermo-conductive properties, I know that copper fillers in Memory foam and latex are advertised as having side “health benefits” (like copper bracelets) but to my knowledge, these benefits have not been proven in copper infused foams. The main benefit for adding Cu to latex or memory foams would be for thermal conductivity (which generally is not an issue with latex, to begin with) so I personally would not make a priority to choose one over the other (with or without copper)

You can read more about phase change materials in post #9 here and The effects of Copper on rubber in Some of the effects of the copper nanowire Cu NW in this recent study here

Outlast materials are normally used in a ticking or in bedding products (sheets, protectors) materials that use Phase Change Materials to proactively regulate body temperature through a continuous cycle of absorbing the heat from the body when the skin cools the absorbed heat is released back to the body. I’ve had no personal experience with Outlast to know to what degree this is better at regulating temperature than wool (which does this by wicking away moisture), but you can see some of the benefits of bedding of the outlast technology. And also a brief explanation of the testing that is conducted by Outlast’s director Volker Shuster and Christoph Russ (owner of c.russ-netconsult) in this Video here that shows that outlast materials can significantly reduce moisture.

I hope this adds to the Phase Change Materials picture

Phoenix

Wow Phoenix, you are a wealth of information! Thank you for the links in your reply along with your expert knowledge. I read and watched them all. (Minus skipping over some the super-detailed chemistry thesis one.) I too am not a foam chemist.

Basically then, it is in a suspension holding those Cu atoms.

I commented about this same thing re: Cu and health benefits in the first and only post I ever started in my life. It was actually on protectors: “phase changing material: 37.5, Outlast, HeiQ affect on latex 01 Apr 2018 19:41 #5” I started it around the same time you had something going on with the Forum platform. …
"Thanks for your input. We both sleep hot. I know there is copper-infused latex as well, and some of those claims are not scientifically backed up. (The antibacterial claim is legit and latex has similar properties.) Sure the body requires copper and the majority of us get the required amount via sustenance, yet retailers are promoting collagen rejuvenation, circulation improvement, arthritis relief, etc. through textiles. Re: mattress components and these claims, your skin will have to be close to the copper material to get a fraction or two of the benefits; and since most people will put at least one layer of protection on their newly purchased mattress ~ be it an encasement, protector, pad, or just a contour(fitted) bed sheet, any health benefit is essentially lost.

In relation to purchasing a mattress, trying the beds out in person is the first step Phoenix, proposes. This becomes challenging, if you don’t have the materials you are interested in, available to test. Lots of us dislike the hassle of swapping out product or returning an item online or at the store to get what we think is the correct product. So we want to get it right the first time either online or at a brick-and-mortar.

So, onward we trudge. Having helpful, detailed info is key."

Phoenix, you mentioned that the main benefit of adding Cu is for thermal conductivity. I didn’t think latex was a thermal conductor yet it’s good at regulating temperature through its open-celled structure; so adding the Cu is unnecessary in my point of view. Adding copper makes it a blended latex and from what I’ve read here on TMU is that blended is less durable than NR. The thesis you attached to your reply to me just now also indicates that PCM and their matrices do not have the higher tensile capacity of the NR and latex. (Yep, I did read some of that 107 page thesis.)

Bummer, I thought I’d get a personal viewpoint. I do know that they are expensive products.

We plan to test the Savvy brand in Auburn, AL this weekend. It’s about 45 min or so from us. This will be the first major latex we will lie on (I don’t call that 1/2" of latex in a mattress we have lain on just recently a latex mattress.). Maybe this store will have a coir bed rug that I’ve just recently been reading about that I can look at. I have one of the Zinus 18" metal bed frames and the smaller gauge wires are 4" apart so I need either a bunkie board or slats or coir that won’t slide for whichever mattress we end up getting. I saw on Amazon a man showing what he did with whatever brand metal frame he got (can’t remember at the moment). He bought a couple rolls of small animal caging with about a 1/2" square holes and wrapped it around the halves of each twin xl, securing it with zip ties (nylon cable ties) - those heavy duty plastic ones that can be used for tying electronic equipment cords. If I were to do this, I’d definitely put some form of wire-poke protection just in case. I know you’ll suggest to talk to the manufacturer of the mattress, but what do you think - would this work with the mattress warranty be it a latex or innerspring bottomed mattress?

We’re looking at latex hybrids and innersprings without memory foam. I am not fond of that quick sand, slow motion, preventing movement material. Ugh. If we get a latex comfort layer it will probably have a cotton/wool mattress cover, and I am also looking into the St. Dormeir protector and others with PCM. If we get a PCM that also has moisture wicking capabilities, it will be a win-win situation.

Phoenix, thanks for sharing your wealth! I do, and I know others do as well, appreciate it so very much!

Hi lotsarsrch.

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

I am glad that you brought up the subject of Phase Change Materials as with the recent developments in this area we are expecting to see more attention drawn to their use in both sleep accessories and foams. For the benefit of those visiting this topic, I will summarize our findings. The use of copper (Cu) in foams that are components in a mattress is a recent development. I am regarding this development as a marketing gimmick, based on a few facts:

[indent]1. To my knowledge, there is no valid scientific research by independent 3rd parties that substantiates the claims of copper as a medicinal health/pain relief benefit in any products where it is in physical contact with humans.

[ul]
[li]The health benefits of the consumption of trace amounts of dietary Copper is scientifically proven. So are the detrimental effects of copper if consumed in quantities greater than trace amounts. (more details here)[/li]
[li]Aside from its anti-microbial properties of Copper that are well studied and known, the extrapolation Copper absorption through the human skin and its external therapeutic effects appears to be more a mixture of fact crossed with fiction.[/li]
[li]There are many products that are being marketed with copper “infusion”, but as far was TMU can determine, all are unproven. (More research on the alleged therapeutic effects PubMed and ScienceDirect)[/li][/ul]

2. The inclusion of copper “powder” or encapsulated copper as a trace ingredient in polyfoam and latex foam appears to be more marketing story with no basis in science.

3. (As you well noted) since the amount of copper in the mattress/pillow foams is at trace levels, and there is no direct contact with the human skin, I regard this to be purely a marketing gimmick by certain suppliers, mattress manufacturers, and retailers. Copper itself has as “story” used in the marketing of mattresses with copper infused foams is an attempt to make a link to the folklore story.

4. To answer the specific question about whether foams with copper are less durable, the contact TMU has had with suppliers of such products has resulted in each denying any detriment to the foam’s durability. They specifically cite the presence of copper is in trace amounts as the basis for this position.
[/indent]

PCM (phase change materials) is an emerging material chemistry that is advancing rapidly in the mattress/sleep accessory industries. Outlast® is the trade name for products using PCM by Outlast Technologies LLC, a pioneer in the use of PCM in bedding, apparel, footwear, seating, etc. The function of PCMs is to absorb, store and release heat for improving thermal comfort. These materials work when in direct contact with human skin. Temperature Regulating Fabric for Ultimate Comfort | Outlast TMU expects to see increased use of PCM in mattress materials, especially products that are “top of Bed”. We are initiating a more in-depth research effort on PCMs in bedding materials and hope to provide it to TMU consumer visitors sometime this summer. For more information on PCMs, you see a brief explanation of the testing that is conducted by Outlast’s director Volker Shuster and Christoph Russ (owner of c.russ-netconsult) in this Video here that shows that outlast materials can significantly reduce moisture.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info Phoenix!

My thoughts mirror yours on the copper infusions.

As for the PCM, these sound much more promising. I plan to buy some bedding with either Outlast® or 37.5°. I already saw that video you linked in; quite amazing what they can do now.

Have you seen the Balluga bed? It’s similar to the Reverie. The Reverie has Brain Wave Sensor (a wireless EEG [electroencephalogram]), and showed it off at the CES 2018. They have a couple videos on YouTube from CES 2018. Technology is infused in our beds and mattresses more and more.

Re: our search for sleep - it would be exciting to check out a Reverie and there’s a good chance coming up this month that my DH & I will be doing so. We have lain on the latex mattress in Auburn and DH is a latex fan now. I showed him FloBeds.com and he really likes the idea of interchangeable top layer sections. I hope we can get that vZone as a topper. I’ll have to contact Mr. FloBeds… Dewey Turner.

I am keeping this short.

'til next time…

Hi lotsarsrch.

It seems that you zoomed more onto the “advanced features” and while I am guessing that you are not considering Baluga (CEO Joe Katan /COO Jason Saunders) the two beds are more dissimilar than similar. Balluga is advertised as an interactive bed with many technology “implants” and it was funded through an initial kickstarter campaign in 2016. I am not familiar with the mattress, but it is basically an air bed which uses inflatable cells to adjust firmness. Their mattresses are made in China and they seem to have major setbacks and Kickstarter backers complaints . There is more information about the bed’s promised features in this 2016 article here As far as airbeds, you can read some of my comments about them here and in this article.. While any mattress can be a good match for a specific person because each person’s needs and preferences or the criteria that are most important to them can be very different … in general terms I would tend to avoid them unless there is a very compelling reason that an airbed would be a better choice in “real life” (outside of the many “marketing stories” and “thecnological implants” that you will hear about them) than the many other options or types of mattresses that are available to you.

Glad to hear you are making progress… “Mr. FloBeds”… Dewey Turner is very passionate about sleep, mattress design and matching people with the right product. I am sure that once you have a chance to get in touch with him you’ll get great insights about how it all fits together.
As you know both Reverie and FloBeds are our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Good luck with the testing and I’m looking forward to your feedback on Reverie and any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix