DIY Advice for Lightweight Side Sleeper / Coils / Softness ILD Questions

Recently, I bought a Brooklyn Bedding Aurora in Medium, after doing as much research as could be useful here and elsewhere, before needing a bed for my new apartment. It basically came down to ruling out other brands for either being the less transparent traditional mattress brands, or for being “mattress marketing shell companies” with little regard to material quality, consistency over time, or transparency either - which led me to Brooklyn based on their transparency and making their own components. After providing them with my body specs and sleep preferences, they recommended going with the Medium Aurora and then adding their free 2" memory foam topper if it was too firm.

Unfortunately, the Medium Aurora ended up being much too firm for me, with noticeable pressure points in my shoulders each morning, primarily, and just feeling fairly uncomfortable. Weirdly, the mattress slopes down a full inch all around the corners starting nearly a foot in, and I often feel like I’m falling off. For context I am a slim 5’8" 120lb younger male, mostly side sleeper but occasionally halfway on my stomach (as I think a lot of side sleepers are in reality), and I also recently had some neck and upper back issues due to working too much / sitting posture, and potentially from sleeping on an old worn out twin bed for a few months recently. I should say that my neck and back pain are definitely helped to some extent (versus a 20yr old twin with 5 yr old topper), but even with the free 2" memory foam topper Brooklyn sent, it’s still too firm as indicated by my waking shoulder pain.

I’ve decided I’d like to take a shot at building my own mattress for the fine-tunability and cost-savings relative to something with comparable materials, and because I’m generally a fan of building your own things when the market doesn’t fit your needs accurately enough. I just have a couple of questions / areas of concern, which I’ll then follow with my current build plan:

1. Should I go with the Quantum Edge Elite [these only come as Bolsa inner coils?], or the Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone? (For some reason I was under the impression that the Quantum Edge Elite was a coil unit separate from the Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa, as in the Bolsa was a separate, purportedly less supportive version of a regular firmness coil unit, but it seems Bolsa has been the standard all along?). For the purposes of longevity, in response to many a thread I’ve read indicating that the Bolsa may not be supportive enough, I’m leaning slightly towards the Combi-Zone to combat middle-sag, which could potentially really mess up the bed’s spinal alignment long-term in a way not solvable via layer swaps. I’m also built broader at the shoulders and thinner at the hips, so my shoulders probably need to sink in more than my hips anyway, and I did have some lumbar pain on the 20yr old twin, presumably due to middle sag.

2. I have this 2" memory foam topper from Brooklyn Bedding already, which I’d like to use for the top layer. I do not know what ILD it is, but it’s somewhere between 2.5-3lbf density per FAQ in the comments on their website. I’d like to put a 2" Talalay Latex layer below it, and possibly a 1" HD-HQ36 Polyfoam transition layer if I end up needing better support from the coils. However, I’m a bit lost on what ILD of the latex I should aim for. Brooklyn support reps told me the Aurora Medium’s top two polyfoam layers are 3.5lb 12ILD and 2.5lb 18ILD, which I absolutely cannot believe – this bed is seriously firm, and 3.5" of those ILDs should be a lot softer. So now I’m thrown off; I was planning on getting 2" Talalay underneath the 2" memory foam as somewhere between 20-28 ILD, but now am thinking I might need something like 14 ILD for adequate pressure relief.

So here’s my potential build plan, with variables in a few of the layers:

(Top-to-Bottom)

A: 2" Memory Foam - Brooklyn Bedding Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper (3lb)

B: 2" Talalay Latex NR - APM NR Supersoft 15-19 ILD or Soft 20-24 ILD vs. APM Blended Soft 19 ILD vs. Latex Mattress Factory Soft 19 ILD vs. Sleep on Latex Soft 20 IFD - (not sure whether Natural Rubber or Blended Talalay, or any brand has any physical advantages here?)

C: 1" HD Polyfoam Transition Layer (optional) - HD36-HQ Foam 2.8lbf 35 ILD

D: 8" Quantum Edge Elite Coils - Bolsa vs. Combi-Zone (or if there was a firmer or more durable non-zoned / not Bolsa version between these? Just based on qualms from other posters about Bolsa)

E: 1" Polyfoam Foundation Layer - Lux-R Foam (is this 50 ILD?) or High Density Foam (45-55 ILD)

[Cover]: Expandable Knit Ticking (12-15") from DIY Natural Bedding (In case I add/remove layers – but do you think this will sleep hot? Made of Cotton Doubleknit)

If you have any knowledge on anything here that you’d be willing to share (esp. about choice of coil units & Talalay latex options and softness), I would very much appreciate some words of wisdom. Hoping to start ordering this week so I can put the full mattress together before I have to return my Aurora.

Let me know what you think – thanks so much!

Hi joshhp.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Your build appears to be well researched/thought out and it looks like you’ve got a very solid starting point to work from. The thing about a DIY as you likely know is that it’s a little bit of a science experiment that can be tweaked and tuned as you gather data based on your sleeping experience.

I think the Combi-Zone coils would be more than adequate for your needs and at your weight.

Polyfoam and latex are definitely going to differ in feel and 12 ILD is as soft as foam gets. I agree that if you found 12 ILD atop 18 ILD too firm, that your thought to try 14 ILD is a good direction to go. There are a number of experienced DIYers in the forum who may also have some thoughts or tips for you on this. I hope they chime in!

NikkiTMU

Hi NikkiTMU,

Thanks for your response! One question I have is how ILD’s differ across different materials. For instance, my memory foam topper in 24ILD seems softer than the 12+18ILD layers of polyfoam below. I’d also like to know if latex (Radium 40/60 Blended Talalay, 14ILD) would feel softer or firmer than either of those polyfoam layers, or even the memory foam at their respective ILD’s.

I ask because if my current mattress with 2" 24ILD memory foam + 1.5" 12ILD polyfoam + 2" 18ILD polyfoam + 1" gel swirl transition layer isn’t soft enough, then I could hardly believe that the 2" memory foam over 2" 14ILD latex would be soft enough. Still, I can’t imagine that the 14ILD blended talalay wouldn’t be softer than the polyfoam, because that stuff really doesn’t feel soft.

Does that polyfoam stuff become progressively firmer a lot sooner than latex or memory foam, which would allow for similar firmness at the measured 25% compression level, but much higher firmness at real-world compression levels?

Actually, the Radium version is 15ILD +/- 2. Also wondering how different the lower (13) vs higher (17) end of this range could feel.

Hi joshhp.

You may find some of what you’re looking for in terms of how ILDs and feel can different between foams in this thread and this thread

If you’re look at, for example, a 24ILD latex and a 24ILD memory foam, you’re going to find that the natural qualities of latex are going to be firmer and bouncier than a memory foam at the same ILD.

Alternatively, polyfoam (when made with durable material) maintains constant support and does not get softer when warmer (unlike memory foam - latex also doesn’t collapse under body heat). So, polyfoam will also provide a firmer sleeping experience (generally speaking).

NikkiTMU