DIY all latex mattress (one layer at a time) build. All suggestions welcome.

Hello diynb,

Thanks for your reply. I really like your expandable ticking. What a great idea!

1. If I were to lay a 3" 46ILD Dunlop layer on concrete and laid on my side how much if at all would it contour to my body? If I were to add my medium 3" 34ILD Dunlop layer on top of the 46ILD layer would the med layer “curve” into the 46ILD layer? I’ll be buying or building a frame with 3" or less between the slats. Would a 3" firm/med layer combo “insulate” better from feeling the slats than a 3" med./med. layer combo? I mention it because in this sticky they said it took 4x 3" med layers until they couldn’t feel the slats but the slats were about 3 3/4" apart. The person also didn’t mention their BMI or size. I wonder if a layer of firm would have saved them from needing so many layers.

2. Since I’m a side sleeper I don’t want to feel any pressure on my shoulders and hips while keeping my spine aligned to prevent lower back pain. I’m also hoping that I don’t sink in too far (like memory foam) and get hot. I don’t think that will be an issue with latex though. With only 2 nights on my 3" 34ILD Dunlop sitting on my old firm mattress I can literally feel the latex pushing up against my ribs. It more of a supportive cradling feeling and not painful. I do definitely need something with more give for my shoulders.