DIY build: have old innerspring - is it usable?

Hi bulge,

Just for reference … a “frame” is the steel or wooden bedframe that is used under a mattress and supports a foundation or box spring … not a component inside the mattress itself. I think you mean the innerspring in the mattress.

I’m not clear if you are trying to build a DIY mattress on your own or if you are hoping to have your mattress professionally rebuilt. If you are professionally rebuilding your mattress then I would go by the suggestion of the company that will be rebuilding it.

If you are taking on the challenge of building a DIY mattress on your own then this would be a “best judgement” call depending on how much you think the damage would affect the feel and performance and the look of the final DIY mattress, the risks you are willing to take, and the amount you are willing to spend on a DIY mattress.

Give its age and the damage you described … if it was me I would probably replace it.

If you are considering building a DIY mattress out of separate layers and components I would also read post #4 here before you start.

Phoenix