DIY build: have old innerspring - is it usable?

I’ve lurked on this site for quite a while, and while I know that people can get a traditional, two-sided mattress custom made, I’m not sure if we can or should re-use the frame from a old mattress.

We have a Simmons Beautyrest Extra Firm frame, built in 1997, with 1,088 individually covered coils (34 x 32 - King size), I’ve removed the cover and foam. I’ve found that one coil is messed up, as is the connection on the sides between the top “rails”.

It astounds me how firm the “mattress” is just laying on the covered coils - which is why I’m curious. From the firmness of the coils alone, it’s clear that the depression in the mattress came from the components and not the springs.

My question is this: Does it make sense to try and re-use the frame given the above information?

Thanks in advance, and I’ll be glad to answer any questions anyone has.

Edited to add:: I’m a tall, heavy (300 lbs) side-sleeper, and my wife is a normal weight back sleeper.

Hi bulge:

While the innerspring unit tends to be much more durable than the foam layers (the spring unit isn’t the weakest link in the mattress), these springs are 19 years old and they certainly will have fatigued. The steel will have lost some resilience, the fabric wrapped around the springs will have worn thinner in certain areas and will have lost some of its strength, and the glue holding the fabric together will have dried out a bit and in some areas pulled away a bit form the cloth or become a bit looser.

While you certainly could reuse the spring unit, I personally would replace it. You’re going through all of the trouble to make a new mattress, so why not start with all new components. Additionally, from a health standpoint, your mattress is a passive air filtration unit, so who knows what could be imbedded within the fabric surrounding all of those springs.

Hi bulge,

Just for reference … a “frame” is the steel or wooden bedframe that is used under a mattress and supports a foundation or box spring … not a component inside the mattress itself. I think you mean the innerspring in the mattress.

I’m not clear if you are trying to build a DIY mattress on your own or if you are hoping to have your mattress professionally rebuilt. If you are professionally rebuilding your mattress then I would go by the suggestion of the company that will be rebuilding it.

If you are taking on the challenge of building a DIY mattress on your own then this would be a “best judgement” call depending on how much you think the damage would affect the feel and performance and the look of the final DIY mattress, the risks you are willing to take, and the amount you are willing to spend on a DIY mattress.

Give its age and the damage you described … if it was me I would probably replace it.

If you are considering building a DIY mattress out of separate layers and components I would also read post #4 here before you start.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=63814]Hi bulge,

Just for reference … a “frame” is the steel or wooden bedframe that is used under a mattress and supports a foundation or box spring … not a component inside the mattress itself. I think you mean the innerspring in the mattress.

I’m not clear if you are trying to build a DIY mattress on your own or if you are hoping to have your mattress professionally rebuilt. If you are professionally rebuilding your mattress then I would go by the suggestion of the company that will be rebuilding it.

If you are taking on the challenge of building a DIY mattress on your own then this would be a “best judgement” call depending on how much you think the damage would affect the feel and performance and the look of the final DIY mattress, the risks you are willing to take, and the amount you are willing to spend on a DIY mattress.

Give its age and the damage you described … if it was me I would probably replace it.

If you are considering building a DIY mattress out of separate layers and components I would also read post #4 here before you start.

Phoenix[/quote]
First, thanks to MattressToGo for your reply. Good points I hadn’t considered.

Phoenix, thanks for your answers and correction to my verbiage.

I can see how my title caused confusion. To answer your question, my query was about using the innerspring as the basis for a custom mattress that a company would build. The reason I asked the question is because I was thinking that “old” might mean “better built than new”, with respect to the innerspring…

I’ve poked around the site a fair amount, but can’t find anywhere a list of companies who would build a custom mattress. Did I miss it, or are there any specific search terms or manufacturers you might suggest I look at?

THANKS again very much.

Hi bulge,

There are many factory direct mattress manufacturers that build custom mattresses using new materials and components that sell directly to the public but there aren’t many that will rebuild a mattress using used components that you supply. I don’t keep a specific list of mattress rebuilders and some of them are part of the “dark side” of the industry that rebuild mattresses using used materials and components and then selling them as “new” without the proper law tags that identify them as being built from used or recycled materials.

Many manufacturers stay away from rebuilding mattresses (outside of making comfort adjustments on their own mattresses) because of contamination issues (such as introducing bed bugs into their production facilities) and because of the harm it could do to their reputation if their customers came to believe that they may be using used materials inside their “new” mattresses.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to link you to the closest local list for your area so you could check with any of the manufacturers on the list and ask them if they would be willing to rebuild a mattress using used components.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

Based on what you and MTG have said, I guess I’ll drop the idea of reusing the old innerspring, but I am interested in assessing the cost of a custom-built, all-new components mattress, though.

I hope that the new innerspring springs equal the old ones as far as strength & longevity goes. (Your thoughts appreciated that of course)

I’ll PM you my city info, and thanks in advance.

Hi bulge,

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent about the materials and components in their mattresses (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around your area are listed in this post.

There are 3 factory direct manufacturers on the list but I think that Sleeptite would be the one that is most likely to make a custom design that is different from the standard designs that they make and have on their showroom floor (although you would need to call them and make sure).

Phoenix