DIY - duplicate my tempurpedic?

We are happy with our present Tempurpedic but it’s dry rotting from old age. It’s around 15+ years old. It looks to be 9 inches thick - 5" convoluted base, 3" mid layer and 1" top layer. If my research is right the base layer is 2.2lb polyfoam, the middle layer is 5.5lb memory foam and not sure about the top layer.
Is it possible to reproduce something close to this mattress diy?

Thanks

Hi masher,

[quote]We are happy with our present Tempurpedic but it’s dry rotting from old age. It’s around 15+ years old. It looks to be 9 inches thick - 5" convoluted base, 3" mid layer and 1" top layer. If my research is right the base layer is 2.2lb polyfoam, the middle layer is 5.5lb memory foam and not sure about the top layer.
Is it possible to reproduce something close to this mattress diy?[/quote]

There is more about the different ways that a mattress can “match” or approximate another one in post #9 here. While it may be fairly simple to match the quality and density of each of the layers … it would be much more difficult to match or approximate the “feel” and performance of the mattress.

You would need to know the exact specifications of all the layers and components in your Tempurpedic mattress including the thickness, type, and density of the foam layers, the firmness of each layer, the specifics of the convoluting in the base layers, the specifics of the temperature sensitivity and response rate of the memory foams, and the specifics of the cover. Once you had this information then you would need to have access to the exact same type of layers and components to duplicate the mattress. This is very unlikely since Tempurpedic doesn’t provide all the information you would need and they don’t sell their foam layers to other manufacturers or foam suppliers and even if you had all this information you probably wouldn’t be able to find memory foam layers that had the same response and feel as the Tempurpedic memory foam. There is more about the different properties of different types and chemical formulations of memory foams in post #9 here and in post #8 here.

Without duplicating all the layers and components in a mattress you would be involved in a process of trial and error because the only way to know how close any combination of layers would feel to you would be based on your own personal experience.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then you would need to use the specs of your Tempurpedic that are available to you even though they are incomplete (I don’t know which specific Tempurpedic mattress you have but if you let me know I may have some information about the layers inside it) or use a “bottom up” approach along with some trial and error with different polyfoam and memory foam layers (see post #2 here) until you find a combination that is “close enough” for you.

Phoenix

Thank you sir.
We bought this mattress used for $200 from a lightweight couple. It’s been by far our best mattress purchase. I think it was manufactured in the late 90’s but I have no model name or info. I was hoping someone would be able to give me a reference point to work from based on the time of manufacture and measurements. I thought it might be one of the original tempurpedics but not sure.

Let the guessing game begin.
masher

Hi masher,

There is some information in post #2 here about some of the older Tempurpedic mattresses that may be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks! That’s a very helpful post. By those specs I would say I have the Tempurpedic Classic.

So using a bottom up approach, I like Albany Foam’s price (and reputation) on Ultra Foam Medium 2635 (2.6 density / 35lb compression) for a 5-6 inch base. I realize I may be erring on the firm side. I could add a convoluted poly topper to add compressive softness. I’m not so worried about the breathability of the convoluted section as I’m considering latex from here up. Hey, if it’s a guessing game anyway, why not? :slight_smile:

Next I’m guessing a 3" 24ILD talalay layer, and try sleeping on this to see if I’m headed in the right direction.

Feedback appreciated.

Mike

Hi masher,

It sounds like a reasonable starting point but I would keep in mind that latex is nothing like memory foam and they are very different “animals” that will feel very different from each other so you won’t be able to “match” or “approximate” your old Tempurpedic using latex comfort layers. There is more about how latex and memory foam compare in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which material you tend to prefer in general will be based on your own local testing or personal experience.

Phoenix

Thanks. So if I choose to stick with memory foam I’m curious about the top two layers in my TP Classic.
0.8" TEMPUR 5.3 lb memory foam — Softer formula for enhanced responsiveness
2.8" TEMPUR 5.3 lb memory foam
5" AirFlow System 2.2 lb base layer

Can you point me to suppliers that offer different ‘formulas for enhanced responsiveness’?

Hi masher,

The better online sources for memory foam layers I’m aware of are listed in the component reference post here.

Every different version of memory foam can be different from other versions of memory foam made by other manufacturers in some way and “enhanced responsiveness” is just a marketing term with little specific meaning.

The best source of guidance about how any specific memory foam you are considering compares to Tempurpedic in terms of temperature sensitivity, response time, and firmness will be a conversation with the supplier.

Phoenix