DIY Hybrid for XXHeavy side sleeper

Hey LeoK,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for joining in and for your question.

Congrats on your new DIY mattress journey! Sounds as though you’ve taken the TMU Train and are heading to the DIY Station :slight_smile: ! You will find many fellow DIY enthusiasts here Leo who will happily share their experiences with you. Here is an interesting post by @Parcelsus462’s 5 year mattress building journey, you may find it quite helpful. Good job on your preliminary research and process. Making the calls and asking the questions are important first steps.

[quote]So I found which pocket springs had the highest ILD rating, then 3" of firmest Dunlop, followed by 3" of medium 100% Talalay latex. No cover yet going to put old mattress cover and sleep on it. Then decide if it need changes

For the adjustable base I found one made in Tennessee with no frills just head and foot with 800# Queen capacity guarantee of 3,5,20 years. This model has virtually no ads, made by American Adjustables for Southerland InMotion model G26, found a local dealer who ordered and will deliver for $800.00

So in 2 to 4 weeks after a total of $1900.00 we’ll see if I have nice bed at half the price the local bed factory quoted. Only down side I have to get rid of the old one. Will have to find a local kid to help me load an old bed and recliner onto my trailer for a dump run another $50.[/quote]

You have a sound plan in place Leo; now let’s see how its execution goes. Hopefully, there is someone close by that can dispose of your former mattress properly for a small fee (unless it is useable for a family member or friend).

That is a good question for the manufacturer that sourced the coils, Leo. I’m guessing that since some days have passed, this is no longer a concern?

[quote]Never spent this much money or time on a bed, but now that I’m retired it was entertaining – success or failure we’ll see
[/quote]

You have a good DIY attitude, LeoK :wink: . Thanks for sharing your initial journey and looking forward to hearing more details following your new sleep trial period. Please keep us updated so that other consumers may learn from your experiences. Enjoy your new DIY mattress!

Thanks,
Sensei