DIY Hybrid Mattres Configuration Help

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post but have been reading more than I can take in from this forum and it has some amazing information.

I’m in the process of deciding what my DIY mattress configuration should be. I haven’t yet purchased the layers but I am working with a local foam distributor and have pricing etc and just need to pull the trigger. Before I do that I was hoping to get some assistance and opinions. I know that mattress comfort varies a lot from person to person but none the less am hoping for opinions.

Configuration: A hybrid memory foam and latex combo with a poly foam core. Latex will be top layer with memory foam below and poly as the core.

Polyurethane Foam Core
Thickness = 6.5"
ILD = 34
Density = 1.8lb

Memory Foam Visco Elastic
Thickness = 1.5"
Density = 4LB

Blended Talalay (Top comfort layer)
Thichness = 2"
ILD = 24

Some information about me. I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 195 lbs. I have somewhat of a bad lower back and sleep on both my back and my side. I also have a history of shoulder injuries (All pain and injuries from hockey.) So I like a medium ish bed where my back is still very well supported but yet I can sleep on my side with comfort.

Will the above config fit my needs? Is the 3.5" comfort layer too thick? How do you feel 2 inches will work on top of a 1.5 inch layer of memory foam? And lastly do you believe that the ILD’s listed will provide a medium feel with comfort when sleeping on your side (or will it be too soft or too firm)?

This will be my first attempt at a DIY mattress so I am sorry all the questions. I have read all the posts I can and just want some feedback.

Thanks
Danny

Hi DannyOceans,

If you are building a DIY mattress then I would read option #3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to so that you have realistic expectations about the learning curve and trial and error that may be involved in a DIY mattress. In most cases the most effective approach is to start with the specs of a local mattress that you have tested in person and have confirmed works well for you in terms of PPP as a reference point (assuming you know the specifics of all the materials and can buy the same layers and components individually) or to use a “standard” design that is suggested by one of the online members that sells component mattresses as your starting point and then you can make changes based on your actual experience instead of “theory at a distance”.

While I can certainly help with providing information about the quality of any materials you decide to use … there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to give you meaningful suggestions based on “theory at a distance” or specs (either yours or a mattress) that can possibly be more effective than your own personal testing and experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would start with a combination of materials and layers that seems to be similar to a mattress that you know you like or that works well for others that have the same body type and sleeping style and then once you have an initial configuration that you believe should work well for you then you can use your actual experience as a reference point to help you decide what to change from there.

Phoenix