DIY Latex Configuration Help

Hi Phoenix–we finally did get it right–we created a 9" latex mattress by using the 6" dunlop mattress from Dixie Foam as our core layer(which Dixie says is medium firm) . Then on top of that we have the Dixie Foam 3" 19ILD Talalay latex topper. We were not comfortable on these two latex layers by themselves as we still needed some pressure relieving layer, so we got a plush wool and cotton topper. I had my doubts, but it really is great. The cover is made in Canada by Natura and it is called the Comfort Plus wool topper and it was the addition of that topper that made the bed finally feel like $3000-$5000 mattresses we had tried at the specialty latex mattress stores…anyhow,We highly recommend this combination…we first tried a regular pillow top mattress cover and a foam bed mattress cover over the two latex layers since they are less expensive than the wool and cotton ones, but they really weren’t great… the Natura wool and cotton cover over these latex layers gives it the feel we were expecting when we started all of this…we feel as if we have finally emerged from mattress hell…Dixie Foam NYC was great…thanks for all your help.

Hi gkmaya,

I’m thrilled that you did so well and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

What I also like in how you put your sleeping system together is how it is similar to a more European style with a separate topper.

Dunlop latex for great support, softer Talalay for great pressure relief, and a separate high quality wool mattress pad (Natura is great even though as you say they can be on the expensive side) for protection and the “final touch” and giving you wool to sleep on for breathability and a great microclimate. The best part is that the components can be changed in the future if your needs change or if one component wears out before the other without having to start all over again with a new mattress. They are all high quality materials.

I’m glad too that Dixie Foam too was as helpful as they were.

I think you did well and it’s nice to see that you persevered until you were happy.

Phoenix