DIY Latex Mattress Help - SUPER firm base layer

Eddie,
KTT had 50 lid a few weeks ago. They can slice it to any thickness and their prices are similar to Arizona Mattress. I am not sure that you want it though because you are not extra-extra heavy. :lol:

slicing it thinner won’t do anything to the ILD numbers from what I understand ? ratings are not about a persons weight ? they are about firmness ?

Hi CKMaui,

That’s correct. If you have a 6" core and you cut a 1", a 2" and a 3" layer out of the core they would all be rated at the ILD of the original core although they would all “feel” different because the thickness of a layer will have a significant effect on how it feels and performs compared to the same material that is thicker or thinner (see post #14 here for more about the effects of the thickness of a layer or a mattress).

The actual “feel” of a certain ILD is subjective but in general heavier people will sink in more deeply to a specific layer than a lighter person so the same material in the same thickness may feel firmer or softer to different people.

Phoenix

Thanks for everyone’s input. Update is I’m somewhat back to square one…well, we’ll call it square 3. Give ourselves some credit here.

So with CKMaui’s input and in talking to Greg at mattresses.net (who is great, by the way) it really seems like I’d need two 2" toppers or a combination of 2" and a 3" topper together to work with my body size with such a hard base. And in having to get 2 toppers as opposed, that pretty much makes the savings on this clearance 44-50ILD base irrelevant in doubling the topper cost. Oh well.

But at least now having been able to lay down on some latex mattresses I have a better sense of what I want in a DIY latex mattress:
6" 32ILD Dunlop base
3" 28ILD Talalay
something wool/bamboo-y sans polyurethane filler in a cover
And in general hoping to be as natural as possible due to chemical sensitivies

SO…with a topper from mattresses.net perhaps, first I have a potential dunlop base lined up via the ebay seller “latextoppers” which Phoenix has said is trustworthy in terms of having accurate listings. And indeed, they’re reps have been very attentive over email in answering questions.

My question for now is on the variability of dunlop ILD ratings. As far as I can understand, dunlop doesn’t really have set accepted ILD ratings that are uniform industry-wide? That as a result of the dunlop process, there is a lot more variability in the material. So what it seems is that as a result, some companies are just listing an average ILD of their dunlop, and some are listing a range. The issue is that I know I skew a little firmer than “average” when it comes to the preference side of things and what I liked I was told was 32ILD - no range. But the ebay store more in my price range offers “medium-firm (28-33ILD)” and “firm (34-38ILD)”. So I’m not sure how to rationalize the range when, in skewing firm, my 32 seems to be in the middle. Should I be worried that the parts of the “medium-firm (28-33ILD)” that are 28ILD are going to feel noticeably softer and go for the firmer? Not sure of the discrepancy for one company giving a range, and one just a single number.

Wish the range had just been 30-34 for one of the options and made my choice a little easier!

For what it’s worth, mattresses.net (the one that rates just a 32 with no range) I believe use LatexCo. ebay’s latextoppers say this particular line is via LatexGreen (the 28-33 ranged mattress). Both are 100% natural.

I was reading somewhere on here that LatexGreen tends to be listed a tad softer than maybe “average” listings from other places? Or maybe that was just misconception because they leave the factory rated in IFD’s as opposed to ILD’s originally.

Aggghhh. Information snippet overload! Anyone have any thoughts on any of this? Thanks as always for how helpful everyone has been!

UPDATE: Well they MAY have solved that problem more or less. Just got an email back from ebay’s latextoppers:

"…
Regardless, if you prefer to receive a 32 ILD, you may purchase either one of the two latex types and choose Medium Firm and we will request that they hand pick one for you that is closest to 32 ILD, if you want to.

We hope that this helped. Let us know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards,

• latextoppers"

Just wanted to double check…is that even something that can be done? Or just salesman allaying my concerns here? Of course if they DO is another question, but CAN that be done - hand picking those differences in ILD in the distribution center after it’s already left the factory?

Hi Eddie Bedder,

I would add to this that some ILD ratings are just incorrect as well. You can read more about this in post #6 here. In the case of Latextoppers they will provide accurate information that comes from their suppliers and they are particulary “fussy” about making sure that the information they provide to their customers is correct and accurate to the degree possible.

Latexco is a supplier for Latex Green. You can see their ILD ranges for 100% natural Dunlop in post #2 here. Both are sourced from Latexco.

I would also keep in mind that when you are working on a DIY mattress that you haven’t tested in person that your own personal experience is really the only reliable way to know whether a specific combination of layers and materials is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP because there isn’t a reliable formula that can predict this with any certainty. You can read more of my thoughts about a DIY design vs buying a complete mattress where you can exchange the layers in post #15 here and the other posts it links to.

I don’t think you will be able to narrow down your choices to the degree of specificity that you are looking at because there is a range of ILD’s across the surface of any latex layer and even if you could most people wouldn’t notice any difference with a variance of a few ILD anyway … particularly in a base layer. The kind of specificity you are looking at is subject to the law of diminishing returns and probably wouldn’t make as much difference as you may believe or as much as some of the other variables that are involved.

In the case of Talalay … ILD is tested in multiple places across the surface and if the supplier is willing to go through their cores and choose the one which has an average ILD that is closest to the specific ILD that you are requesting (or if the merchant keeps stock on hand and can do this with any of their layers that still have the original label from the 6" core attached) then they could. With Dunlop it can be more difficult because the variance is more than with Talalay and ILD’s aren’t as listed as specifically. I do know that latextoppers will do whatever they can or make special requests when their supplier makes it possible but once again all of this “fine detail” probably isn’t nearly as important or critical as you may believe it is.

Phoenix

Hi Eddie Bedder,

Phoenix has great advice, and I’d try to not get too caught up in the specs. I’ve done more DIY than most people have the heart for, and among other things I’ve encountered…

1. Whatever you imagine will be amazing, is a total crap shoot if it is that amazing when you feel it. That’s true even when you own all the materials, and have some experience - there were things I was positive would be perfect, having tried something near identical, only to find it wasn’t perfect at all.

2. Whatever you think is stupid, might actually feel amazing. Try putting a softer layer under firmer, for instance. I generally like it, and at least one of my mattresses has that design. Thick (2" to 3") of wool over soft talalay is also something I’d never have thought I’d liked and would have guessed it’d totally screw up alignment, but personally I think it’s amazing, and it actually firmed up a bit in my experience.

3. Specs in the industry are funny in how non scientific they are. About the only thing that is true is that given a specific vendor, using a particular style of their product (as latex comes in different styles, using different blends, different zoning, different thicknesses, different patterns, etc), then firm will usually be firmer than medium, which will usually be firmer than soft. Remember, you’re not building a mechanical item here where tolerances are important, and the bedding industry seems to know that. It functions a bit more on the feeling aspect ‘does it feel good? Or do you need it a bit softer or a bit firmer?’ Even semi close is usually good enough. (Talalay is a bit more consistent it seems).

• the really good designs seem to be simple, but may have subtle things done to give it that secretly amazing feel. Subtle zoning in particular is something that’s really hard to predict, and I suspect is used by a lot of the Dunlop brands. Certainly, my green sleep has it.
  1. The mattress case / ticking will impact the feel as much as the specs. Maybe more. Good ticking is expensive.

2. No amount of theory at a distance worked for me (except for generalities, like I want a firmer base and softer top).

3. Only buying materials and trying them told me anything useful.

NOTE: This was originally a reply to this post and has been transferred to a new topic. More background information is in this thread and in some of your other posts here (added for reference as this thread develops).

I agree with your 6 points dn!

I too have been experimenting, trying to come up with a comfortable solution/combo for my mattress.
I thought I would ask you and Phoenix f you have any ideas for me to try.

I have 3 -3" natural talalay, N3, N4, N5. Right now I have it arranged from top to bottom, N4, N3, N5, or 32 ild, 26 ild, 38 ild. I cut the top of my mattress cover completely off. It was a quilted organic cotton with wool. This cover was so thick and stiff that I could not even tell that there was latex inside. I have the 3 pieces in the bottom of this case and covered with a St. Dormer pad. I have also done N3, N4, N5 and with this I have good alignment but when I add to it a comfort layer, my hips sink to much and I get sciatica.
I am used to firm innersprings and I do not like sinking down into a mattress. For latex to be comfortable do you have to sink deeply into it?

I cannot sleep on the talalay alone, way too firm. I am 5’5" 125lbs. and a side sleeper. So, I have these materials to create a comfort layer.
1. wool fleece topper, 1 1/2 inch with a thick/ stiff poly backing.
2. 2" dunlop topper, 14 ild, mostly synthetic
3. 1 1/2 inch omalon convoluted foam, supposedly 22ild, 2.7 density
4. thick poly/bamboo mattress pad with elastic sides. soft but not too supportive
5. 1 1/2 inch 2.7 memory foam - will return this… felt hard.

So, I’ve tried so many combinations… my head is spinning. The best is probably when I layer all of these on top. wool topper on top of mattress, then dunlop topper, then omalon foam, then poly/bamboo mattress pad.

I have had so many aches, pains, nerve issues after I bought my mattress. Never had these issues before. I’d like to just scrape this all mattress and start over but I still want to try to fix it. Am I overlooking something, a better solution for a comfort layer? I do feel that latex on the very top does not feel right, maybe too bouncy? My body does not rest well on it… at least the pieces that I have. I did try some talalay toppers in a store and I felt the same jiggly yet hard pressure from them. I believe that I need 3" of soft yet supportive foam or wool or a combo. I want firm support along with pressure relief.

I see that IKEA has toppers now so I may check them out if they are returnable.

Any suggestions from would be much appreciated. I am really close to giving up.

Thanks

Hi Diane,

I’m happy to make a few suggestions although as dn mentioned there are so many variables and can be so many surprises that it will take some trial and error (as you’ve already experienced) and some detailed feedback on each configuration and the differences between them to find the “best” possible combination with the layers you have.

I’ve also transferred your post to a new topic so that it will be easier to follow and keep the posts together.

A few questions first …

Are you exclusively a side sleeper. Do you go to sleep on your side and wake up that way as well or are there times you sleep in other positions?

Could you provide a few more details about this mattress pad. Does it have polyester fibers in it? About how thick is it?

Is this zoned or is it a single ILD across the surface?

You will need to sink in “enough” into any material (latex or otherwise) that the more recessed parts of your body are in good contact with the mattress and bearing “enough” of your weight to relieve the pressure points on your hips and shoulders without sinking in too much that your spine or joints are out of alignment. Your experience and “symptoms” on different combinations will be more informative than trying to “measure” how much different parts of your body are sinking in.

I would probably start with the N4 on the bottom and the N5 on top of that which will give you the firmest possible support and then experiment with various combinations on top of that but your answers to the questions will help with knowing what you have to work with and where to begin with the comfort layers.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I am a side-sleeper, exclusively, all night. My husband sleeps all ways but can sleep on anything.

When my combos have been too firm, my hips, rib cage, legs hurt and I have nerve tingling.
When my combos are too soft, I get sciatica, hips hurt fro sinking too far.
I am trying to find middle ground. After 3 months of

I just switched out my base layers as you suggested. Now I have form top to bottom: N3, N5, N4. On top of that I have the St. dormier pad, then the dunlop 2" 14 ild , non-zoned topper, then the 1 1/2 inch omalon convoluted foam, then the bamboo/poly cover. I took off the wool fleece topper. It does tend to stiffen and create a slight hammock effect. I will sleep on it tonight. After 3 months of trials and tribulations, I have pains that have not gone away, so it’s really hard to judge right now. My alignment looks fine with this new combo though. ( I did not think to put the N4 on the bottom.)

I am thinking that I should get rid of this bamboo thick/mushy pad: ( It is Polyester fibers, and it is about 1 1/2 inches at the fullest segment)

Amazon.com

It feels like I am losing support with it… but it seems to give me extra pressure relief.
The omalon is Martha Stewarts, Macy’s. It is very light weight and thin but I like it. It take the roll/jiggle away from the latex on top.

I do need a thin stretchy cover to fit everything though. I am looking at this one:

Have you seen this cover?

This is the dunlop topper I have:

http://invigocollection.myshopify.com/products/simply-latex-2-mattress-topper

Thanks,

Diane

Hi Diane37,

Thanks for filling in the gaps.

I would keep the layers and components you have for a little bit until you’ve had the chance to test them in various combinations to make sure that they aren’t part of a successful combination.

Since you have the combination you described put together already you may as well try it for a few nights but if it isn’t successful then I would follow the next steps.

I would start off with a few “test” combinations on top of your two base layers (N4 under N5) that you try for 1/2 an hour or so (completely relaxed as if you are going to sleep and using the testing guidelines) so you have some reference points for a few layer combinations and can get a sense if there are any clear indications that you won’t be able to try them for a few nights to see how they work in comparison to other combinations.

I would start without the N3 layer and use the 2" of 14 ILD Dunlop by itself and then test the bamboo/poly down alternative mattress pad on top of it to test how well these isolate you from the firmer support layers or where you have pressure points.

Once you’ve tested these if one of them seems to be “good enough” to try sleeping on them for a few nights then that would be the next step. If it’s clear after testing each of them for 1/2 an hour or so that you couldn’t sleep on either combination for a few nights then it’s time to test a few other possibilities but your specific feedback about each layer combination will be a very useful part of the process regardless of whether it works or not.

This is a mattress protector (like the St Dormeir) not a mattress cover. For the moment I would avoid making any more purchases until you have some clarity about what may be the best options for you.

One step at a time.

Phoenix

Okay, thanks Phoenix.

I will try to keep patient and take it step by step. It’s hard to not freak out after 3 months of terrible sleep.

My dunlop topper is very soft and spongy… I sink right through it on the floor, but will try it on top of N5, N4. I suppose that you are thinking that my N3 is too thick and too firm for a comfort layer. What happens when it is below the N5, N4?

Do you not want me to use the 1 1/2 inch omalon convoluted foam for now?
(It sort of works well on top of the dunlop topper.)

Diane

Hi Diane37,

I can completely understand but a more systematic and planned out approach has much higher odds of success than a more random approach … but unfortunately it can also take some time, some experimentation, and some discomfort along the way (hopefully as little as possible) to get to the “best possible” configuration.

At this stage we are still in a learning curve (or at least I am) about the differences between different combinations so I would avoid speculating about the “theory” behind certain combinations (such as the “dominant layering” you are considering with a firmer layer under a softer one) until that becomes one of the combinations that your testing indicates may be worth testing. The simple answer is that it will depend on all the layers below and above because every layer will affect all the other ones to some degree but it’s unlikely that sleeping directly on the N5 or N4 with anything underneath it will work well for you (although I’m always open to surprises).

[quote]Do you not want me to use the 1 1/2 inch omalon convoluted foam for now?
(It sort of works well on top of the dunlop topper.)[/quote]

Not yet … this will be part of the “learning curve” and step by step approach. For now I’m trying to get a sense (with some initial 1/2 hour testing or overnight for a few days if initial testing indicates that it’s worthwhile) of some of the differences between individual layers over common support layers so getting it right at this stage isn’t as important as the “learning” that comes from each combination and “why” it works or doesn’t and what each combination “points to”.

Phoenix

Hi Diane37, I just saw this and will reply when I get a chance to review all the info you posted.

Hi Diane37,

There were some nights I’d change mattress configurations 4 times before trying to go to sleep, so I hear you on a lot of experimentation. I can share some things I felt I learned, and things I wanted to try, but as you know what works and doesn’t starts with a gamble, and then you refine it and see if you get somewhere good.

For reference, I have my original green sleep in a state that I really really like it, I think oh wow when I sleep in it. That said, I am building a second bed and just getting the final stuff (reusing most of the material I’d bought that wasn’t in the first bed) and anticipate it’ll also be oh wow, but with a totally different feel.

One thing that I did was find a baseline config that allowed me to not be in any pain. Testing a new mattress config with significant pain (hip / shoulder aches from too firm, or back from too soft) is a horrible way to start testing a new config. So once I’d beat myself up enough trying different things, I’d go back to a baseline. My baseline wasn’t my favorite, but good enough to be mostly neutral and not significantly irritate me / cause pain to use. I don’t know if you have anything similar. Even sleeping on a diff bed or something.

Another thing I did was try to start with a certain base configuration, and then iterate that configuration by changing only 1 thing at a time, trying to make it better based on what I’d learned the materials feel like in prior tests. I’d try to sleep at least 1 night, but preferably more, on each config… Although some were so horrible that I’d do multiple changes a night. Once a fundamental config showed some promise, i recorded it and moved on… I circled back to the ones that showed some promise later on, allowing me to see if there was a trend. Only when I started a fundamentally new config did I totally change the mattress.

Also, I tried to avoid huge swings… So if your mattress is too firm, and the aches could be unbearable at times, you might be up in the middle of the night saying screw this I’m making it as soft as can be. The soft is immediately amazing because it remedies the aches from too firm, until you wake up in major back pain. So then you’re like screw this I need firm, and go really firm again. So I tried to avoid that, again by having a neutral baseline… Otherwise I found I’d over correct on each iteration, and the worse the first config was, the worse I’d over correct and then you’re just back and forth between extremes.

I at times found the liveliness of talalay too distracting. I found that a wool topper over it helped a lot, but firmed it up. So I found that a wool over a soft talalay was more conforming than dunlop, but the wool killed the lively feel. When I say wool, I have a 3" wool topper… But I suspect thinner would do better in many cases. Your bamboo poly fill topper over a soft talalay would maybe be similar, or the omalon as you said. None of your talalay is soft enough to do that in the same way I did I don’t think (probably ild 19 or so I’d guess, maybe even 14, since mine is 24 and I’m 185 lbs). There are several ways I surmised this could be done too, and I don’t know which best…nor if you’d even like it. But a thin polyfoam over talalay, thin firm dunlop over talalay maybe, or wool, etc. But the concept of talalay for deeper conforming, almost too soft to use on its own, with a material above it that will deaden the talalay liveliness and firm it up a bit, hence getting it a bit too soft if being used in its own originally. (Of course, that’s theory and so unless you try it it’s just a wild guess).

Polyfoam always underwhelmed me, and I always found myself circling back to having high hopes for it. I have a convoluted 2.5" 35 ild or something, >2lbs density, and 2 layers of a thin firm 50 ild foam. They weren’t bad (and part of my neutral config for a long time), but I was constantly underwhelmed with what it did for feel.

Finally, I prefer more simplistic designs. I found once too many layers were in play it just felt wrong. That may be a mental thing for me though.

I’ll read more, but instead of saying what to do, shared some of the methods I used :slight_smile:

A couple other notes of things I did…

I attempted to vary my pillow to match the mattress. As you sink into the mattress less, I needed a thicker pillow. Whereas the deeper you sink, the thinner the pillow. While not my favorite, some adjustable wool pillows let me do that quickly. The wrong pillow can contribute to shoulder aches if not tall enough, or neck and upper back pain if too tall or too short, I found. I also have a memory foam and latex pillow that are / were awesome, of slightly different heights which helped a ton.

I varied the top surface material between the wool cover of the mattress case, and a 4-way stretch knit organic cotton. I don’t know if you still have the mattress top you cut off, but for example if you do 14 ild dunlop, n5, n4, and let’s say that’s a touch too soft… Adding the wool to the top will firm it up a bit.

I tried to have fun. Generally I did/do. There were a few occasions I was pretty grumpy in serious pain at like 4am dreading the thought of tearing the bed apart to re layer it. Have Tylenol and Advil or your favorite painkiller nearby (I took many a painkiller for some of the bad configs).

Made it convenient to re layer, which had its own problem later on. I left the mattress case unzipped so that I didn’t damage the zipper with so much zipping and unzipping, and kept all the layers I’d use nearby but safe and clean. That said, once I thought I had it done so to speak, I zipped it all up and found I could feel the extra tightness of the zipper on the mattress case, which had firmed it up again (doh). So had to deal with that.

Followed Phoenix’s advice of ‘just soft enough’ to get rid of pressure points. I found anything more than just soft enough for me inevitably lead to lower back problems.

Tried to remember, especially for the promising but not ‘perfect’ configs, that it really can take a month or two to break in the material and have your body to adjust, and that the measure of success is NOT initial feel but nightlong and day after comfort. So I tried to be mindful of ‘is this options really bad, or might it be good if I adjusted.’ Alignment issues of too soft I considered would get worse with break in mind you.

Thanks so much dn and Phoenix,

I have tried my dunlop 14 ild topper over N4, N5… not close to comfortable. I have tried this 2" topper in so many combinations, I think it is too soft and or thick for any configuration.

This combo was not horrible the first night but too soft/mushy the second night, causing spinal nerve tingling, sore hips and legs.
top to bottom :

bamboo/poly mattress pad
1 1/2" poly foam 22ild
2" dunlop 14ild
3" N3
3" N5
3" N4

I pulled the dunlop topper off and put my wool fleece topper (1 1/2" with a stiff poly backing) on top of N3, then the poly foam and bamboo foam. Feels a little firm but I may sleep on it tonight. I will continue with your testing advice Phoenix, but I do need to have a bed that is somewhat reasonable for me and my husband each night. ( I could do things differently if it was just me.)

After all these trials, my gut tells me that I need a topper that is soft yet supportive… maybe 2". Latex toppers seem to all feel hard on my rib cage, I know that wool compresses and feels hard eventually too. I am tempted to buy another poly foam 1 1/2" an layer them together.

This is the poly foam: http://carpenter.com/index.php/us/en/bedding/omalon

I bought it here: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/martha-stewart-collection-sleep-wise-5-zone-queen-foam-topper?ID=529724&CategoryID=40384&LinkType=PDPZ1

I like the feel of it and I’m thinking that 2 of these will give me pressure relief and support. (22 ild)
(It has a lifetime guarantee for what it’s worth and returnable if it does not work)

My other thought is that I need a 2" 19 or 22ild talalay topper. Do you think this would be supportive and pressure relieving for me?

Any thoughts?

Hi Diane37,

This is the main reason for the “preliminary” testing so you can “rule out” any combinations that clearly wouldn’t be suitable over the course of the night.

I would need more detailed feedback from a “step by step” approach and how each combination compared to the one before it in more specific detail which would give me more specific reference points to work with than a more “random” approach.

Unfortunately “comfortable” is so subjective and has so many different meanings that it really doesn’t provide enough information to work with. I would need more specific information about “why” it wasn’t comfortable and the specific symptoms you experienced.

Did you do any preliminary or overnight testing with the mattress pad over this as well (from bottom to top N4, N5, Dunlop 14 ILD, Mattress pad with nothing else in the mix) and can you compare them in more specific terms with the same combination without the mattress pad (what were the specific differences you noticed between them).

The specifics of each layer by itself isn’t as important as how a combination feels and performs “as a whole” because every layer can affect the feel and performance of every other layer in ways that are sometimes unpredictable.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I purchased my mattress with the impression that I would be able to change the 3 layers and create the best configuration for me and my husband. I did not realize that it would lead to such a long, expensive, series of trials. I will try my best to explain in detail the results of each combo because I believe that you can assist me in coming to a conclusion.

Unfortunately, I have limitations. I cannot pull the N3 out of the mix… no place to keep it (small house), kids and dogs are part of the equation, and I do have issues with the talalay latex. It feels like I have an allergic reaction when it is exposed… burning nose/sinuses. Every time I change my layers I have to vacuum the entire bedroom and open the windows for a while. Therefore, I have to keep the N3 intact. I know this is not what you wanted me to try, but this is my reality.

This is where I am currently. I have moved the N3 to the bottom, then N5, then N4. On top of N4, I have my dunlop topper, then on top the bamboo/poly mattress pad. Slept one night on it. It seems like my alignment is okay. My overnight symptoms were: sore, tingly torso, sore hip and legs. I felt pressure from my hip joints down through my thighs, had to keep changing sides. I think I developed some nerve ending damage, hopefully temporarily. but I have tingly sensations radiating from my spine from neck to bottom of rib cage. I do not have lower back/lumbar issues which I am prone to with this combo. This combo felt really good when I first got into bed, was very hopeful. ( I think that I may need another inch of something soft yet supportive for pressure relief.) The bamboo/poly pad does add to the comfort layer but takes away from the contour of the dunlop topper. I can slide my hand fairly easily under my lower back with the mattress pad on. With the dunlop alone, I really feel too much pressure on my torso and hip to knee areas.

I do think that the N3 on the bottom may be best. I could switch the N4 and N5 so the N5 is at the top of these 3 layers. Not sure what affect that will have with support and the affect on the comfort layers.

This may seem like a random approach to you, but like I said, I need to keep the N3 in the mix, unless I pitch it completely. When I did try the dunlop topper on top of N5, then N4 on the bottom, I had real hard pressure on my hips, torso, and legs.

Hope this helps you with your assessment. Your advice is much appreciated.

Diane

Hi Diane,

You may want to make a post in this thread with a more systematic list of what you’ve tried, and then fill in your comments (for both yourself, and those reviewing). Edit it as you perform trials of different layering. Basically, like a spreadsheet but online. There are too many words for me to follow the combinations you’ve tried and symptoms you experience.

Rules to follow: replace the word ‘comments’ with your actual comments, but keep comments to 1 line or less (this needs to be quickly scannable). If something felt good to try to carry forward to future designs, note in comments. Place a * ahead of any that you liked that are potentials for keeping (I.e. It didn’t cause you huge pain). Don’t change the format half way through, and don’t add extraneous comments or discussion points (you can always post to the end of this thread discussion, but this 1 post is the spreadsheet view only.

I’d recommend a format similar to this:

Tracking sheet, bottom to top layering.

N5 / N4 / N3 - comments
N5 / N4 / N3 / Dunlop - comments
N5 / N4 / N3 / Wool - comments
N5 / N4 / N3 / poly foam - comments
N5 / N4 / N3 / mattress pad - comments
N5 / N4 / N3 / Dunlop / wool - comments
N5 / N4 / N3 / Dunlop / poly foam - comments
N5 / N4 / N3 / Dunlop / mattress pad - comments

You can also see the challenge I (and maybe Phoenix) are having. There will be hundreds of possible feasible combinations (I only got through a portion of n5 / n4 / n3… And there’s all variety of alternatives just on those). With the random hit or miss approach, and without documenting it in a comparative summary format, I have no idea what you’ve tried, nor what worked or didn’t work, and worse yet cannot use your prior trials to learn what you might like future looking.

Since Phoenix is far more of an expert than I, I’d let him comment on the format also. Perhaps he’d like to see it in a different way than I’ve suggested. (I know that in my career, I’m a subject matter expert, but if people don’t present me info in a means I can digest, it’s just random noise that isn’t useful to making decisions with).