DIY Latex

Hi Phoenix

I am trying to get more relief for my shoulders with this set up: I have a 32ild 3" base talalay from Ultimate Dreams and 20 ild 3" from Sleep on Latex. I am thinking of adding another 2" or so for the top layer or maybe going all talalay for more softness. Even considering memory foam on top to let the shoulders sink a bit more. Looking at aerus 4lb or sensus 5lb.

I am 6’ 2" and about 230 lbs. Any guidance would be appreciated as it is hard to do this without testing first.

Hi stack,

I looked through your previous questions and the replies you received (from me and other forum members) and I don’t think there is much else I can add to the previous replies you have already received.

If you are going in a DIY direction then you will be mostly dependent on trial and error to find the combination of layers and materials that works best for you and I wold make sure that any layers you purchase have a good exchange or return policy so that you aren’t “locked into” any mistakes you make with your choices. I linked this before but I would also make sure that you’ve read option #3 in post #15 here so that you have realistic expectations of the learning curve, trial and error, and the expense that may be involved if you are designing and building your own mattress.

One effective approach to a DIY mattress would be to use a specific mattress that you have tested and are confident works well for you in terms of PPP as a blueprint and then purchase the same layers and a similar cover.

The other alternative would be to take a “bottom up” approach starting with your firmer base layers (and I would probably use something firmer than 32 ILD which would likely make a more appropriate transition layer than a bottom layer at your weight) and then add each new layer based on your actual experience and “symptoms” on the previous combination.

If I was in your shoes I would probably consider a firmer 3" base layer as the next step (probably in the 36 ILD range or higher) and then I would use your experience on these three layers (3" of 36 ILD and 3" of 32 ILD and 2" of 20 ILD) along with the information in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to as a reference point to help you decide on the type, thickness, and firmness of any additional layers that you may wish to add to “finish” your mattress and then the final step would be to choose a cover to enclose all your layers.

I would also keep in mind that some toppers are made with smaller dimensions than the standard mattress sizes so it may be a good idea to confirm the dimensions of your layers so that they are all the same.

Phoenix