DIY Mattress Configuration

I want to report the configuration i’ve put together for criticism. I weigh 120lbs and i sleep on my side and wish to obtain optimal price/performance. I find that the queen size is optimal for me.

I’ll be using the “Zinus Upholstered Square Stitched Platform Bed with Wooden Slats, Queen”
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W4DCTK0/ref=psdc_3248804011_t2_B00NHWGGWE
$150
The slates are 4.5 inches apart it seems according to a customer on amazon. A footboard is useless for me. i like a headboard for sitting up for stuff like reading or something.

Top layer:
21 ILD “Celsion” Blended Talalay 2" from sleeplikeabear.com (this is from talalay global)
CELSION TALALAY LATEX TOPPERS: THE COOLEST LATEX WITH PCM, Made in USA – SleepLikeABear.com
$393
i initially felt that i would like “100% natural talalay” for the top layer for its soft, breathing and consistency but after thinking about it i’ve come to the conclusion that the resiliency may be something that i wouldn’t so much respect. i felt that i may be annoyed with that bounciness. Since it still gets the Oeko-Tex certification, i don’t mind so much the synthetics that go into it. And after all, i read that side sleepers can appreciate softness more so i suppose thats not a problem. I was looking forward to the talalay GL slow response after considering not going with “100% natural” but i see that its no longer in production. i read that “Celsion” is talalay GL fast response, i am supposing that this also has the “memory” properties that are attractive without having the drawbacks of traditional memory foam. I think i want it to be around 24 ILD but it is offered at 21 and 27 and seeing as most side sleepers prefer going softer i’ll go ahead and do that. i may regret this which is acceptable.

Middle layer:
28 ILD dunlop 3" from latexmattressfactory.com (this is from sri lanka)
https://latexmattressfactory.com/products/latex-mattress-topper?variant=17415900353
$309
i feel that this will offer the support i require while having some give, maybe this give is preferable for me. it is priced very attractively.

Bottom layer:
36 ILD 1.5lb polyfoam 3"
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: ebay.com/itm/Foam-Mattress-3-T-x-60-W-x-80-L-1536-QUEEN-SIZE-MATTRESS-TOPPER-Medium-Firm-/311540665649?hash=item4889454d31:g:kDIAAOSwJQdXBAGk
$97
this choice was economical. it also fits within optimal range for the slate distance, the latex would sag between them but i read that polyfoam is good for 5" between slates. it provides extra support without the premium of latex, with this i save at least $200. perhaps this would offer no perceivable difference from another 3" of dunlop. i would like to hear honest feedback regarding this from those that are more knowledgeable than me.

Cover:
“Queen Size SafeRest Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector - Vinyl Free”
https://www.amazon.com/SafeRest-Hypoallergenic-Waterproof-Mattress-Protector/dp/B003PWNH4Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494744198&sr=8-3&keywords=mattress+cover
$30
minimal mattress cover, it claims to breathe and not alter the feel of the mattress

total is $979. thanks for your time.

Hi tofues,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While I can’t comment upon the potential appropriateness of a mattress configuration for your personal comfort (there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a mattress for someone else), I’m happy to take a look at the componentry you’re using and comment upon that.

If the slats are 4.5" apart, then this would be close to the maximum that most manufacturers recommend for a mattress using a polyfoam base. One concern I would have would be the strength of the wood used for the slats. Even in the closeup photo for this item some of the slats are bowing inward, so that is something I would keep an eye on as time goes by using this base.

This is a high quality cushioning material in a “softer” ILD. Celsion is just the trade name for the inclusion of a small amount of phase change materials within the latex. The feel would be the same as any “normal” Talalay latex.

Whether 100% NR of blended (SBR/NR) Talalay, both styles will be quite similar in “bounciness” and resilience (most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the NR or SBR/NR in the same ILD in a finished mattress).

Most latex you are likely to encounter (NR, SBR/NR or SBR) will have some sort of third-party certification against harmful substances and VOCs, such as Oeko-Tex or Eco Institut. There is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here.

It is true that side sleepers in general prefer a bit more surface contouring, allowing the shoulders and hips to sink into their “comfort cradle”, while at the same time still maintaining their overall alignment. A slightly softer comfort layer on top of the mattress is a popular choice, as long as it is combined with materials beneath appropriate enough to work as a unit to provide adequate “deep support”.

I think you’re not correctly understanding what the Celsion is in the latex. It’s simply a phase change material that’s added to assist in temperature regulation (although this will tend to have a temporary effect on temperature while you are first going to sleep until temperatures equalize but have less effect on temperature regulation throughout the course of the night), and is not something that takes away from the traditional “buoyant” feel of latex.

This would also be a high quality and durable material, and choosing to go with a slightly firmer Dunlop latex as your “transition” layer is a very popular “progressive” design combination.

Ideally I recommend at least 1.8 lb in a polyfoam core, unless there are other considerations such as price, but with your lower BMI this may work out just fine for you. The concern I have with this product (I’m not personally familiar with Ritchie Foams) is the description of the foam as a rubber, which it is not, so that gives me pause as to what other inaccuracies there may be in the description of their product. I’d suggest a detailed phone call with them before placing an order to confirm the actual product you are receiving.

There would be a difference in feel and durability of this foam compared to Dunlop (the Dunlop will last much longer and be a more supportive material), but some people do prefer the use of a polyfoam core for either the cost difference or difference in comfort.

This would work well as a mattress protector, but I’d recommend an actual mattress cover that surrounds all of your foam layers, and then use the mattress protector over this. There is a list of some mattress cover suppliers in the mattress component post here.

Phoenix

Oh thanks! The mattress cover was stolen after being declared “delivered” so i’m happy to get a better one that fits anyways. I’ll call the polyfoam people and see why they are lying. i doubt this was a mistake, they know what they are doing when they used that word. i fear the polyfoam may not even be 1.5lbs. i’m grateful to hear your feedback. its acceptable that the “celsion” really is what they market it to be, i assumed it was a marketing thing to focus on temperature rather than the “memory” aspect that had previously been discontinued. i thought it was a watered down version of the talalay GL slow response for some reason. i misunderstood and thats alright. the other talalay options are pretty much the same price anyways looking back now AND with not much of a difference at all, is this really the case? besides the more ILD choices.

So i guess my only concerns at this point is fear that 21 ILD is too soft and that i may prefer 27 ILD, and the possibility of getting less dense polyfoam then i was promised. Overall the experience is still very exciting. this is a quote from the amazon product page for the bed frame: “Our bed frame can hold up to 500 lbs of combined weight, excluding the mattress weight”
Sounds like it would be considered a defect on their part if the frame broke or whatever. i’ll watch out for that.

Phoenix could you recommend me a vegan mattress cover which has no animal products? Preferably in line with the optimal price/performance theme? i checked before and they all looked silly expensive for what actual value they added. I’m thinking that if i were to up the 21 ILD top to 27, it would also be optimal to rise the dunlop ILD so that maybe i wouldn’t sink as much through the second layer… thoughts about that as well? Thanks for your time i really value your experience.

Hi tofues,

I’m sorry to hear that. :frowning:

While it may be your supposition, you don’t know that they are “lying” about the product calling it rubber, as it only points to a discrepancy to which you’d want to follow-up and confirm. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt in such cases, as it could be a simply cut and paste error on their part, but it certainly merits further clarification.

Celsion had nothing to do with the slow response Talalay, which Talalay Global has since discontinued. It’s always been about the phase change material added to certain latex that Talalay Global produces.

Many of the mattress cover suppliers I listed in my previous reply are made without wool.

I can’t predict how all of the layers will work together and your reaction to your finished system, as nothing will replace your own personal testing. This is part of the fun (and sometimes frustration) of building your own DIY mattress (see post #15 here). The progressive latex combination you’re following is similar to latex systems produced by some manufacturers

Phoenix

The polyfoam mattress has shipped but its reported to weight about 15lbs, does this sound right for 1.5lb polyfoam?

Hi tofues,

Using rough math…
If the piece measures 80" x 60" x 3" = 14400 in3 / 1728 (cubic foot) = 8.3 ft3 x 1.5 lb/ft3 = 12.5 lbs. If the weight is including wrapping and packaging. then this sounds to be within the range. Without any wrapping/packaging, a piece that is 8.3 ft3 that weights 15 pounds works out to a 1.8 lb/ft3 density.

So it sounds as if you’re in the proper range here.

Phoenix