DIY mattress--Newbie questions

I’d really like to make my own mattress out of 100% wool or cotton. I don’t want to use a pad. Has anybody tried this? I’d love to hear any advice–especially about the choice between wool vs. cotton and batting vs. loose stuffing. Please feel free to treat me like I don’t know what I’m doing–because I don’t!

Any ideas, advice, etc. welcome and appreciated.

Hi Cristin,

I would suggest talking with some of the woolen mills and wool product manufacturers and suppliers listed in post #3 here before starting on a project to make a DIY wool or cotton mattress. This is quite a specialized type of manufacturing and needs significant knowledge about how to tuft, compress, and layer wool batting to make a good mattress and keep the layers from shifting or compressing prematurely. They can also tell you more about the types or species of wool that may work best for your project.

I’m no expert on wool mattresses but they are and would be able to provide you with good information both about their wool and about some of the things that may be involved in making your mattress so you would have a more realistic idea of what may be involved and the tools and raw materials you would need to make your mattress so you can decide whether a DIY project would be a better approach than buying one of the wool or cotton mattresses or futons that they already sell.

Phoenix