DIY Mattress - Will stacking a latex topper on top of a egg-crate layer damage the latex?

Hello,
I am in the process of creating my own mattress. My wife & I enjoyed the feel of the tempurpedic breeze but wanted something organic. We loved the Innomax - White Night latex mattress & trying to avoid spending $3300. Following the posted specs I tried to source materials as close to the description & want to include the “breath-ability” of the Tempur Breeze Egg-crate Design.

My plan is to stack (top to bottom) …
2" Dunlop Latex (16-18 ILD)
3" Dunlop Latex (28-30 ILD)
1.5" Egg-crate (2.8 PCF / 35 ILD)
2" High Quality Foam (2.8 PCF / 35 ILD)
4" High Quality Foam (2.8 PCF / 50 ILD)

My main concern is the placing the egg-crate below the latex layers since tempurpedic uses memory foam.
Being a hot sleeper breath-ability is important, is it just a gimmick or is it proven to increase the air flow?
Will the latex be able to handle the peaks for 10 years?

Yes, I realize its not 100% organic but adding a 6" latex core would’ve been another $600 so we opted for the foam for $250. For those curious the final product with a organic quilted zippered cover will run $1100.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations / suggestions.

Hi imVert,

Before you go in the direction of designing and building your own DIY mattress I would read post #15 here along with post #2 here.

Egg crate foam that deep in a mattress may have some small effect but not a lot because most of the warm air wouldn’t penetrate the 5" of foam above it. You can read more about the factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here.

There would be no problem with the latex over the eggcrate in terms of durability.

I would also keep in mind that the mattress you are designing would be very different from the Tempurpedic in terms of how it “feels” and performs. Slow response foams (like memory foam or gel memory foam) and fast response foams (like polyfoam or latex) are very different from each other and closer to being opposites than the same. There is more about how they compare in post #2 here.

Phoenix