diy mattress

Hi dodo,

[quote]en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/memory-foam-mattress.html
By

1. Is this type of “construction” solid? I.e., will the sides of the bed have too much give since there is no reinforcement around the 3 layers?[/quote]

Yes … all the materials are high quality and durable so there are no weak links in the mattress. Foam mattresses generally don’t need edge support if the support layer is firm enough although to some degree this is also a preference. There is more about the pros and cons of edge support in post #33 here. A 38 ILD polyfoam support layer would certainly be on the firm side so it would be less likely to need any edge support.

With a suitable cover (which it has) it shouldn’t be an issue no and I would use the mattress as it’s designed.

It certainly uses very high quality materials and there are no weak links in the design. I also like the options it provides to fine tune the mattress after a purchase. They are also a member here which means I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry. When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most effective way to choose a firmness level is a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests in mind (which they are) because they will know more about matching their specific mattresses to different people and will give you better guidance about which of their options has the best chance of success than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If your futon still has a firm and even surface and there are no soft spots or impressions in it and all you need is some additional pressure relief and comfort then a topper can be a good option to extend the comfort life of a mattress or futon. The “risk” is in choosing the most suitable material, thickness, and firmness level because a topper will feel and perform differently on different mattresses or futons. Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you choose a topper using your actual experience on your futon as a reference.

Phoenix