diy mattress

Hi dodo,

Thanks for the update and you are bringing up some very good points that are often overlooked.

I think that the effect of the cover on a mattress is perhaps one of the most overlooked parts of a mattress and most people only end up focusing on the foam materials. The bottom of a one sided mattress often has a non skid surface and as you discovered it’s not really designed for sleeping on and the difference between the top of a cover and the bottom of a mattress can have a significant effect on the feel and performance for all the reasons you mentioned. It’s always great to have another reminder of this :slight_smile:

Questions are always a “good” thing and are also part of the “fun” of running a forum :slight_smile:

[quote]Is it possible to have a 2 inch latex topper cut in half, that is, made into 2 one-inch layers? (I was thinking about approximating MFC’s flip-topper with the materials I have - replacing the Energia with one inch latex, which I would add to my 2 inch memory foam topper in its original cover; the latter seems loose enough to accommodate another inch of foam.)
If possible, do you have any idea where I could get that cut done, and how much it would cost?[/quote]

While it’s not really possible or practical to do this yourself because it takes more specialized equipment … there may be somewhere close to you with a slitter that could do it for a fairly nominal charge (I don’t know what they would charge but it wouldn’t be very much). Posts #5 and #7 here have a few suggestions that could probably slit it for you.

Thanks again for the kind words … although I’m not sure how I feel about “cult status” :slight_smile:

Phoenix