DIY talatech mattress - any cover ideas?

Am considering putting together a 9" LI talatech talalay latex queen mattress with the following layers, top to bottom:

3" - 19 ILD
3" - 28 ILD
3" - 32 ILD

Now, I need a zippered mattress to stuff this stuff into. One that stretches, is not tight. Arizona Mattress offers a queen cotton quilted for $199 but am having a hard time shopping for other offers. Doesn’t seem to be any except for those having bedbug problems and such. Any suggestions, bamboo, wool, cotton, blends? Don’t have to worry about bedbugs or puddles.

Am 210 lbs., 5’11". Wife is 5’5", 145 lbs.

Thanks

Hi Mark in Texas,

If you are considering building your own mattress I would make sure you’ve read post #15 here to make sure that you have realistic expectations of success and any cost savings (which you may or may not realize).

The component post here has some sources for covers but which type of cover you choose would depend on the design goals of the mattress and would be a preference issue.

There is more about different types of quilted vs unquilted covers in post #12 here and the posts it links to.

There is more about the different types of fabrics in the reference post about sheets (which would also apply to mattress fabrics) in post #7 here.

Phoenix

https://www.sleepez.com/mattresscomponents.htm

One to check out. 4-way stretch.

Hi KSueSmith,

There’s a picture and some comments about the current version here.

Phoenix

Yeah, that SleepEZ 4-way stretch looks like the cat’s meow. Gonna call them up as it looks like they don’t have a 9", but a 8.5", which might work.

Again, thanks for the info!

After 6 weeks of research, 12 pages of notes, I’ve narrowed it down to 2 choices for a queen.

1. Mimicking Latex Bliss’s “Beautiful”, building my own with the layers listed at 1/3 the cost per post #1. I can get the real LI talatech at $100/inch which is the cheapest in the industry.
    https://www.matt-to-go.com/PLB_Beautiful.html

2. Buying one of Peter Duncan’s “Elegance” and adding a TI 3" Talatech 19ILD topper for that “in the cloud” feel.
    http://www.themattressfactory.com/MattressesBeds/Models/Elegance.aspx

Don’t know what’s in it as Peter is in New Orleans at a bedding convention.

Option one offers me the non flippable option and when I need to move it I can break it down into manageable weights/pieces.

Does the ActiveFUSION Climate Control Phase Change Technology in the Cover wick away heat in the summer? I spoke to an old timer who was candid enough to admit he thought it was a marketing gimmick. Wife tried it with no relief.

Hi Mark in Texas,

I would keep in mind that PLB has MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) and the actual selling price for PLB mattresses can be lower than advertised prices but of course having said that it’s very unlikely that it would be anywhere close to $100 per inch (queen) plust the cost of a similar good quality cover. The PLB also uses Active Fusion fast response in the top layer which will be a little more costly than the Talatech just in case you want to duplicate the layers more exactly.

There is “Active Fusion” temperature regulating technology in both the cover and in the top layer of Talalay GL. While I also think that most of this is more about marketing than real life performance … I also believe that it will have some small effect on regulating temperature. Active Fusion uses a phase change gel material that absorbs and releases heat and regulates temperature in both directions but doesn’t “wick away” heat in the same way as technology that is based on moisture wicking and ventilation (which I believe is more effective and longer lasting). Whether this will have a bigger effect on real life performance that is a bigger factor than the mattress protector you use or the sheets and bedding you use is questionable because once you are in an “optimal” temperature range" then “more optimal” is mostly meaningless and for most people a Talalay latex mattress wouldn’t have temperature regulation issues (although a thinner stretch cover that “allows” you to sink more directly and deeper into the latex itself will be less temperature regulating than say a wool quilted cover). There is more about the factors that can affect temperature regulation in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Howdy, Phoenix,

Quote I got locally on the LB “Beautiful”, queen, was $2,299, with tax, 2,489.

Just pulled the trigger on the 4 way zippered stretch cotton cover offered by SleepEZ and LI talatech talalay slabs listed in the first post. Total cost to my door for a top of the line sleep system - $1,283. In case anyone’s interested KTT Enterprises has the best prices on Latex International products. For the 3" talatech, queen, $100/inch…about half of many. Why? LI is a family business started by his dad, Bill Coffey. I’ve been to them all, KTT is the cheapest and when you order from them, you know you are getting what you order. If I order and demand Latex International, that’s what I expect to receive. Not some product from WonHungLo, Inc.

Been quite a journey, one lasting for about 6 weeks and I must say very pleasant. I have never “met” such a nice, helpful, professional bunch of people than those that you recommend here at this site. I visited with many of them and they were always there to answer the same redundant questions that have been asked by dummies like me a million times.

Now, to show my gratitude, it’s time to head over to the donation door and do a PayPal thang.

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark in Texas,

I think you did well and all that’s left is to sleep on your new “creation”!

Thanks too for the questions and feedback along the way and most importantly … congratulations on your new DIY mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you’ve received everything and had the chance to sleep on it.

Thanks for the donation as well … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Donation is well deserved. Will keep you updated.

Mark