DIY wood foundation ?

Just ordered a Sleepez 13000 today and I’m going to build a foundation this weekend for it. I had a question regarding the thickness of the slats. I found where you say 2.75 inch spacing is optimal so I will go with that, but for the wood slats I can use 2,3, or 4 inch wide slats to make it. Which size would be optimal?

Thanks

Hi BreakingBed,

This is only a general suggestion (less than 3") but smaller gaps would be better yet. The more the surface area of the support surface while still maintaining good airflow and the stronger the wood you use for the slats the better. The least possible amount of flex in other words is the goal.

I would tend to use 1x3’s (which are usually .75" x 2.5") or wider (you can cut your own from furring strip board). Again the more surface area to distribute the weight (while still maintaining good airflow) and the less flex in the support surface the better.

The foundation post here has several suggestions you can use that were shared by some of the members here (under the foundation and platform bed sections).

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look at the link you provided. :slight_smile: