diy

I have read the dyi links here but still have questions.
I was considering buying a 6 inch med-firm core, I already have a 3 inch soft topper to put on top.
I then thought maybe it would be better to buy two more toppers in 3 inch, one firm, one med and then add my topper. This would give me 9 inches. I guess I am wondering if replacing the core with 3 inch pieces will have any major drawbacks?
I tend to like a soft mattress, my husband medium(but he’s really not picky lol)
I could easily buy the core instead. All would be sleeponlatex.
Any suggestions?

Hi pennies,

There is more about the pros and cons of a single 6" core vs two separate 3" layers in post #2 here.

If you are purchasing all your components from a single supplier then when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their layering combinations and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific combinations and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Other than that … there isn’t much I can add to my suggestions about building a DIY mattress that I linked in my earlier reply here.

Phoenix

The idea of DIY beds is new to me. But I wonder if it isn’t the second layer that is most important? I don’t know but maybe keep the 3 inch topper and pick two twin second layers to accommodate the different needs?

Hi Jimmie,

All the layers and components of a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” to different degrees. The only way to know for certain whether any specific layering combination will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

For those who decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

This site has helped so much, thank you very much.
I have decided to go with the 6 inch core which says it is 34IDL. I do not have a lot to compare this to but am hoping it will make a supportive core under my 3 inch soft topper…fingers crossed :silly:
I would go with the extra firm but am very worried it will be really really firm.

Also does anyone know the code to use with sleeponlatex for discount?

Just for fun…My hubby had to cut apart our old mattress today for easy disposable in trailer so I was able to see what was inside :sick:
I wont gross you all out but it was not pretty! and the latex they advertised being inside when I bought for “proper support and natural bla bla” was the thinnest little slice you could imagine!
it was between 1/4-1/2 hahaha

Hi pennies,

They don’t have a discount code. You just need to let them know you’re a member of the site.

As sad as it is … it not particularly unusual where a description that says latex is more “label copy” than anything else.

Phoenix

[confidential]Because Sleep On Latex protects itself against the code harvesters you can request the code in a Private Message or email. Alternatively you can always place your order over the phone (312.487.2865) and mention that you are a member of The Mattress Underground to receive your discount.[/confidential]

Not to hijack your thread, but I just purchased two 6" TwinXL cores from sleeponlatex (one medium-firm and one firm). The quality seems very good, though I’m not sure they labeled the boxes correctly–the one labeled firm actually seems softer than the one labeled med-firm, so we’re assuming they just put them in the wrong boxes. Also, one core had labels on the end indicating which way to orient it, and the other one had nothing on it. Otherwise, everything’s good. Right now we’re sleeping on just those to see how they feel.

I’m definitely going to want to add another layer to soften my side up, but I’m unsure whether I should go with 3" of medium (which is only slightly less dense than the med-firm core) or 3" of soft. Or perhaps 2" of soft and 2" of medium? Or 1" of soft and 2" of medium? Price is somewhat of an issue, but comfort is more important.

Hi mainertodd,

I hid the code you posted because I’m not sure that SleeponLatex wants to make it publicly available and they may want to retain the flexibility to change it. If they confirm to me that they are OK having it on the forum then I’ll list it on the membership list and remove the confidential tags in your post. Until then they will provide the current code to the members here when they contact them.

Phoenix

Thanks! Good point–I hadn’t thought of that.

[quote=“pennies” post=63300]This site has helped so much, thank you very much.
I have decided to go with the 6 inch core which says it is 34IDL. I do not have a lot to compare this to but am hoping it will make a supportive core under my 3 inch soft topper…fingers crossed :silly:
I would go with the extra firm but am very worried it will be really really firm.
[/quote]

Just to respond more directly to your post: based on my experience, I think you’d be fine with either. Either one of them is plenty firm for both me and my partner, and both of us prefer firmer mattresses. I’m thinking that 3" of soft over either core would be comfortable but still firm and supportive. Perhaps one side in extra-firm and the other in medium-firm would make sense since you and your husband have different preferences. (As you’ve probably noticed, two TwinXL cores are considerably cheaper than one king-sized core from sleeponlatex.)

Though I would give an update on my latex mattress for others thinking to go this way.
We ordered the queen med/firm core from sleeponlatex, 3 inch soft topper and a case to fit it all.
Shipping was very fast and putting it all together with two people is pretty easy.
I do notice a faint smell but it is not bothersome.

So we tried sleeping on the 9 inch setup for a week, now I’m not sure how to explain it…it is not bad but not nice if that makes sense. I think after sleeping on crappy (material unknown) mattresses for so long our bodies are used to ? something different. We have not been waking up with back pain(we used to) so thats a plus!
but we both seem to be tossing and turning like mad, me especially. The odd thing is I cannot figure out if its to hard, too soft or just right lol, so am unsure how to adjust. I am hoping time will fix it.
We had a 3 inch soft latex topper before we bought this setup so have added that tonight and will see how it goes. :stuck_out_tongue:

The major are of concern for me after the tossing is neck pain, my old pillows are not cutting it for some reason which may be the problem.

I will update as we get it right!

Hi pennies,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update … I appreciate it.

Spinal alignment is the most important factor in your body’s ability to rest and recover over the course of the night so it’s good news that you are waking up without any back pain.

There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials like latex can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so.

While I can’t feel what you feel so I can’t know for certain … if I had to I would probably guess that your mattress may be a little too firm.

I’m looking forward to finding out how the extra topper works out for you.

When you sleep on a new mattress you will generally sink into it either more or less than your old mattress so it’s not unusual to need a new pillow with a different profile as well. A suitable pillow is an essential part of good alignment for the head and neck and upper body because the gap between the head and the mattress and the curve of the cervical spine needs to be supported just like all other parts of the spine. Like mattresses … there are certain “needs” that depend on body type and sleeping positions but with pillows, personal preferences play a more important role because the face is much more sensitive to textures, temperature, smells, and other more subjective “feel” based properties of a pillow. There is more about choosing pillows in the pillow thread here.

Better sleep shops will often have samples of their pillows available for you to try (they should be in a pillowcase and not a plastic wrapping) so you can try different types of pillows and pillow materials in person and use your own personal experience rather than just “theory” to help you decide on the types of pillows and pillow stuffing you tend to prefer.

Phoenix

The 3 inch soft topper defiantly made the mattress more comfortable. Reduced tossing by at least 50%
Something still seems off, Im wondering if it could be the frame my husband made. The slats are 2 inches apart and i know thats within limits. I have taken a level to it(when he’s not around lol) and it seems ok.
I think we will just give it a try like this for a few weeks and see if we adjust.
As far as the pillows…need replacing for sure with this mattress. I have ordered a shredded latex and a kapok from diy bedding. We are going to test them out and see what works. We already have reg. poly filled ones and buckwheat so have ruled them out.
The lanoodle looks really nice! so we may look into that one too.

Hi pennies,

Thanks for the update.

That sounds promising but I would agree that it would be a good idea to give it more time.

If the slats are rigid and don’t have any flex and they are 2" apart and there is a certer beam with good center support to the floor then it’s unlikely that it would be an issue.

I’m looking forward to finding out how your new pillows work out for you as well.

Phoenix

Update

The 3 inch topper on top was way to soft(I think) woke up with the worst lower back pain i have ever had(I cried lol) So off the topper goes.
I am still waiting for new pillows that were very late shipping out to me but in the meantime I shredded apart part of the unneeded topper and stuffed some pillows myself, they defiantly help and seem comfortable.
Side question…while shredding i ended up getting bits in my mouth and it tasted awful, like burning, but my latex is tested as safe and all…so i hope the taste is normal haha. Not sure anyone here could verify that one!

We have always had our bed elevated a few inches but took the legs off to make it flat again, this seemed to help some but Im not really sure how this would have affected the feel…but it did.
The mattress feels useable for now but we are both feeling a lot of pressure under the shoulder /high back area. And a little bit in the middle back/curve of spine /just above hips.
Im thinking a soft topper is not the answer but maybe ours failed as it was more than we needed being 3 inches.
My question is what to do now. Im thinking we need a small change, something to add a bit of extra support and also softness in some spots
option 1. a thinner talalay topper
option 2. a wool topper
Im just wondering if one wold work better.

Hi pennies,

Thanks for the update.

I’ve never tasted latex so I don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like and while it’s certainly safe for sleeping … I don’t think I would consider it particularly healthy to eat :slight_smile:

[quote]The mattress feels useable for now but we are both feeling a lot of pressure under the shoulder /high back area. And a little bit in the middle back/curve of spine /just above hips.
Im thinking a soft topper is not the answer but maybe ours failed as it was more than we needed being 3 inches.
My question is what to do now. Im thinking we need a small change, something to add a bit of extra support and also softness in some spots
option 1. a thinner talalay topper
option 2. a wool topper
Im just wondering if one wold work better. [/quote]

If a 3" soft latex topper was too soft for you it would make sense that a thinner soft latex topper would probably be a better “match” for you in terms of overall firmness and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) than the 3" topper. There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that may be helpful.

There is also more information about wool toppers and how they compare to various foam or latex toppers (at least in very general terms) in post #8 here and in posts #3 and #6 here and there are some additional comments about wool toppers and a list of some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

Unfortunately the only way to know for certain whether one would work better for you than the other will be based on your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Phoenix

[quote=“pennies” post=63787]
As far as the pillows…need replacing for sure with this mattress. I have ordered a shredded latex and a kapok from diy bedding. We are going to test them out and see what works. We already have reg. poly filled ones and buckwheat so have ruled them out.
The lanoodle looks really nice! so we may look into that one too.[/quote]

I am also in the process of making my own DIY pillows. I purchased bulk lanoodles from cozy pure and bulk Kapok and pillow from DIY bedding. The kapok is quite lumpy and cannot be used unless you shred it to very fine pieces. This is quite messy and I would recommend shredding the kapok outside as it makes a mess! if you want to mix your shredded latex into the kapok, shred the kapok first then add the latex and mix it together so it is uniform.

I have not perfected my DIY pillow yet but its been a fun experiment :slight_smile:

Thats funny, I also purchased kapok from diy but am still waiting for it.
Thanks for the tips :slight_smile: