Do Avocado mattresses use Combi-Zone coils by Leggett and Platt?

I’m looking to DIY a mattress similar to their Green Mattress w/ pillow top. Wondering if throwing 2"+2" of soft talalay over the L&P CombiZone coils would produce that.

Hi dqu and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

The short answer is a reserved ‘yes’! Though they don’t specifically say so, the specifications for the Avocado Green coils are almost identical to that of the L&P Combizone.
The Avocado coils specifications are:

up to 1438 tempered steel coils in 3 gauges, 5 zones
16 gauge perimeter sides header/footer
17 gauge center third
14 gauge sides

While the specifications for the Leggett & Platt Combizone are:

8" quantum edge
1130 count Queen to 1414 count Cali King /wrapped coils
16 gauge perimeter
17 gauge center
14 gauge sides

For pocketed coils, the gauge is more important than the count for the most part,
as the sleepers body profile determines the ideal coil gauge (larger sleepers would likely find lower gauge coils more supportive.

Keep in mind, your ideal mattress will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

The rest of the specifications for the Avocado are:

13"
organic wool tufted cover
2" latex
3" latex

Without knowing your Stats, it would be impossible to say that ‘hrowing 2"+2" of soft talalay over the L&P CombiZone coils’ would match the Avocado green…if you are a larger sleeper, or have specific needs or health conditions, this would determine the ‘right’ thickness and firmness of the latex layers. Also, Talalay latex has a different ‘feel’ than Dunlop, as Talalay is considered.‘bouncier’ (like comparing pound cake to angel food cake) so something else to keep in mind.

A DIY mattress can be very rewarding in that you have the ability to adjust the mattress to the exact comfort and support needs of the sleepers using it …but it’s not for the faint of heart, as it can take quite some give and take, replacing and rearranging layers, to ‘dial in’ the feel - especially if you are trying to replicate a certain mattress. You may want to consider reaching out to one of the DIY experts among the Trusted Members of the site, like Arizona Premium, SleepEZ, or Latex Mattress Factory, among others, who can, with their long experience in helping DIYers with their builds, assist you in finding the perfect components for your new mattress.

If you are willing to put in some time and consideration, you will certainly end up with a great bed customized to your exact needs! I wish you success (and patience!) in your project…please let us know how it turns out!

~ Basilio

Thank you for the comprehensive response. I am 5’10, 190 lbs and mostly a back sleeper - current MF mattress is sagging and causing back pain,. At the same time, it’s too firm on my shoulders. I’m looking for firm support under my butt/hips but also pressure point relief. I am set on the Combi-Zone as my base, just trying to decide between 3" soft talalay, 2" soft + 2" soft, or 2" soft + 2" medium on top of it. Not sure if there will be significant difference between these setups.

Hi dqu,

Since you are a higher BMI sleeper, 2 layers of soft latex will allow your pressure points to ‘sink in’ and bottom out on the coil support unit below.

Since you feel your mattress is too firm on your shoulders and too soft in other areas - depending on what type of mattress you have - this may just be due to your old mattress wearing out. If it’s possible, you should try to test out a few firmnesses of latex, and also of both Talalay and Dunlop just to get a ‘baseline’ for your DIY. You will likely be better off with a medium firm/firm or medium firm/medium firm combo.

A lot of this is subjective to the individual sleeper but soft/soft can leave you with more aches, pains and even alignment issues over time. Some testing would give you a more practical idea of how soft, medium and firm latex feels for you - and could save you time and frustration exchanging/ returning unsuitable layers!

~ Basilio