Do Dunlop and Talalay feel the same in the same ILD?

I am switching out my SleepOnLatex 9" dunlop mattress in soft (ILD 20) for an Ultimate Dreams Eurotop. I found my current mattress just too firm for my pressure points. My question is will talalay 19 ILD feel the same as a dunlop 20 ILD? On the phone, they suggested I might want 24 ILD for my Dreamfoam mattress but I’m worried that will be too firm.

Hi sretodd,

Dunlop and Talalay aren’t directly comparable in terms of firmness using only ILD numbers because there are several factors that can affect how soft or firm a mattress (or an individual layer) feels besides just the ILD of the material (see post #4 here) and Dunlop and Talalay that are the same thickness and ILD won’t feel the same in terms of their firmness for most people because they have a different response curve and compression modulus (how quickly a material becomes firmer as you sink into it more deeply). There is more about the difference between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

Generally speaking, if a piece of Dunlop and Talalay were both rated at a 19 ILD, the Talalay would feel softer by comparison.

Phoenix