do pocket coil mattresses require special box springs

Hi all

I bought a Simmons pocket coil mattress about two years ago and at the time I didn’t buy the matching boxspring. I’ve been using it directly on the floor, but I’ve decided to get a frame and a box spring to raise the height and possibly to add a bit more flex (it’s a firm mattress).

A salesman told me the other day that some boxsprings will not provide the correct support for a pocket coil mattress. Is there any truth to this? How can I determine whether a boxspring will be appropriate)

Thanks

Hi mediocrejoker,

A salesman told me the other day that some boxsprings will not provide the correct support for a pocket coil mattress. Is there any truth [quote]to this? How can I determine whether a boxspring will be appropriate)[/quote]

This would depend to some degree on the specifics of the mattress and it’s overall design but in general a pocket coil mattress will do best on a firm foundation (slats or wire grid type) that provides firm, even, and either “no flex” or “limited flex” support and doesn’t require a traditional “box spring” (that has active springs). Innerspring mattresses that use helical wires will usually do best on an active box spring which provides some shock absorption for the mattress. You can read more about the types of foundations or box springs that are most often used with different types of mattresses in post #2 here.

The “ultimate” authority though for the best type of foundation or box spring for a specific mattress would be the manufacturer of the mattress but in general terms a pocket coil will be fine on a firm non flexing foundation (like the floor)

Phoenix

Thanks for the detailed response, and for the link to the other thread.

From what I understand, it sounds like a box spring is not required to add flexibility to a pocket coil mattress, which can be used directly on a surface with no flex such as the floor.

I was wondering if a box spring would reduce the firmness of a pocket coil mattress in the same way it would do so for a firm foam mattress.

I don’t think I will worry about a boxspring ruining my pocket coil mattress.

I was also considering a set of bentwood slats such as the ones sold by IKEA, however a boxspring is less expensive and it also has the benefit of adding height.

Thanks for your help.

Hi mediocracker,

If anything … a box spring would have more “give” under a pocket coil mattress than it would under a foam mattress because steel springs absorb and dissipate less of the compression force than foam so the energy “goes through” it more efficiently.

Some of the most expensive mattresses in the world such as Hastens or VI Spring use pocket coils with a box spring or divan underneath them.

Phoenix