Do you know anything about or recommend Luxepedic mattresses

We are finally going to buy a new mattress after years and hear good things about Tempurpedic. WhenI went on line to compare Temurpedic and I comfort, luxepedic came up. We are a couple in our mid to late 60’s so this will probably be our last mattress. What do you recommend? Is it worth getting an adjustable base?
Thanks

Hi blwis,

Some of my thoughts about Luxepedic are in post #9 here.

I certainly hope not!

If you figure a 10 year lifespan for a reasonable quality memory foam mattress then the odds are pretty good that you will need to buy another one :slight_smile:

Buying a mattress online can also be more “risky” than a local purchase where you can test the mattress for pressure relief, alignment, and any other preferences you may have in person. If you let me know the city of zip where you live I’d be happy to let you know of any better possibilities I know of in your area that would give you a chance to do some local testing. ADDED: I see you’ve already done this in your other thread and I’ve linked to the list of the better choices in the SF Bay area in the other post where you have some very good options available.

Other good online sources of memory foam mattresses (that meet all the criteria of providing complete information about their mattresses including the quality/density of the foams and are CertiPur certified) are in post #12 here.

If you haven’t slept on memory foam mattresses before I would strongly suggest that you test some out in local stores before buying one online because they can be a “love it or hate it” material and are very different from more traditional fast response foams. There is more about some of the pros and cons of memory foam in this article.

As for an adjustable base it really is a matter of preference and whether any benefits are worth it to you. We have one (a Reverie Deluxe) which we really like and while it certainly isn’t a necessity … it’s great to have as a “luxury” for watching movies in bed, reading, or even for the occasional “massage” (although it isn’t exactly a real massage :)). For those who would benefit from it’s more health oriented benefits (such as to help with acid reflux, snoring, or other health concerns where elevating the legs or torso may help) it would certainly have even more value.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I will check out your links and look at your other suggestions. We are now sleeping on a 40 year old box spring and a 30 year old mattress–that’s why I thought this would be a last mattress. Are you saying that memory foam mattresses don’t last as long. I have gone to stores and tries the tempurpedic and Icomfort and when I went to compare on line I found the Luxepedic and YOU…there is still a lot of food for thought. so I know I will come back to you with questions.

Hi blewis341,

WOW … if you are sleeping on a 30 year old mattress that’s remarkable. The only mattresses that you tend to hear of that can last that long are latex mattresses (you can see a video here).

Most mattresses made today will typically last about 5 - 7 years of good use (although some people use them much longer). Mattresses that use higher quality/density polyfoam in the upper layers will last longer and the same is true of high quality memory foam mattresses (probably in the range of 10 - 15 years for most people although it will vary widely). Good quality latex is the most durable material of all the different foams (memory foam, polyfoam, and latex foam).

Mattresses that are typically made today … especially by the larger brands … will not last nearly as long as they did when you bought your last mattress and two sided mattresses and higher quality materials were more common. A lot has changed in the last decade or two (for the worse unfortunately) and even more in the last several decades.

Tempurpedic tends to use mostly high quality memory foam and tends to have better durability but are not very good value compared to many other memory foam mattresses that use similar quality materials at much lower prices. The iComfort uses a mix of lower quality foams in conbination with some higher quality foams but a mattress is only as good as its weakest link (the lower quality foams) and they are also poor value overall and because of their use of lower quality materials which will soften and degrade more quickly they would not be as durable.

I’m looking forward to any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix