Does 100% latex mattress without additives exist?

I am in search of a “healthy” latex mattress for my son and am considering Cozy Pure and Spindle. I talked with Susan today at Cozy Pure and she said their latex mattresses are 100% latex. I told her it was my understanding that all latex mattresses had at least a small amount of additives, but she said their mattresses only have latex in them and no other additives. Is it possible for a mattress to be truly 100% latex without any additives?

I also talked to Kim at Spindle today, and he said all latex manufacturers use some additives to make latex into the final mattress product. He said it is a regulated industry though. Do all latex mattresses have additives, and if so, are they are all well regulated so I don’t need to worry about additives when considering a mattress?

Thanks,
Emily

Hi Emily,

It would depend on how someone was defining “additives” (they may have thought you were talking about “fillers” which are sometimes used in latex which is how many people would understand “additives”) but all latex needs some additional substances in the compounding formulation to foam and cure and manufacture the latex (see post #8 here).

All the latex you are likely to encounter will have been certified by either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut so all of it would be “safe” in terms of harmful substances or VOC’s (see post #2 here).

Phoenix