Does anyone have suggestions on measuring sag in latex toppers or a mattress?

Any ideas are appreciated as I am trying to find out the best method for a new and old topper as it seems the new topper I have is sagging in which may be due to the mattress but it doesn’t appear it has much of any sag… I am seeming to have sag on my new 3" topper as my old topper with supposedly similar ILD ratings. This is only after 3 nights and I am completely puzzled as this I figure shouldn’t happen.
Thanks in advance,
Bunny

Hi Bunny1999,

To measure any sag in a topper you would need to remove the topper and put it on a large and perfectly flat surface (the floor would be ideal) and then either run a string from edge to edge or use a straight edge (such as a broom handle) across the topper and then measure the depth of the sag from the bottom of the straight edge or from the string.

I would also make sure that the flat surface is very clean because latex can pick up hair and dirt very easily.

Phoenix

Phoenix
Thank you!
We are doing just as you suggested!
I will get back to you and let you know what we found out.

I will say this, after explaining to the man we bought the 3" New Latex Topper from on. eBay, he said this! This Topper you bought is Brand New, it cannot be a defective Topper. He wants pictures, measurements, and wants us to talk to his shipper, directly Tuesday.

The Truth is , he sold it to us, we paid Him directly , he never saw the Latex Mattress Topper as far as I know, he works at another job also! His shipper is the one whom boxed up the Latex Mattress Topper, and shipped the Latex Mattress Topper to us. With the Original mans name on Return Address. As he told me , the Shipper did not ship when he thought they would. ( It appears there are more then one person making profits on this Sell and others on eBay). Which is legal, but much more room for errors also.
And the Honest truth is,
"There is not anything made, that are sometimes made defective! "

Phoenix :
Thank you for the great advice on measuring as perfectly as possible!
Bunny

Hi Bunny,

While a defective topper or latex layer would be very unlikely … it’s certainly not impossible with any product.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Well the Topper had sunk nearly -1/2" in 4 nights.
Did the string test, measured it and it came out as almost 1/2 " almost , letting it set for hours after staying off. How much it sunk when I was on it had to be much more!!! I was the only one sleeping on it!

I finally had no choice we left it off, put old Topper on as my back went completely , the night we measured. I did not hold anything as my Hips hurt enornormisly sleeping on the New Topper…It was a bad experience, one I pray I do not have again. It is the worst my back has been since 2011. After 3 back adjustments, today is the first day I was not in a painful condition all day long.

Of course over Labor day, thankful still had other Topper, husband cut off the bad side I slept on and put the Middle Part on for me. My back was in awful condition, I could not stand up straight for several days, but did felt better then the other Topper! Was it Defective I will not, nor will I ever know!

The Man whom sold is excepting it back, We are waiting for it to Arrive and receive a Refund! We are Thankful he was cordial enough to except the measurement pictures, and offered us a Refund! . At first he thought it was on top of Mattress, the Pictures, it was on 2 Clean Sheets on Floor. Had to lighten the pictures to see it well on sheets on floor.

I do know this, I do not know if we will buy a Latex Mattress Topper without seeing it! And we might buy a completely New Latex ot Talalay 3 Layer Mattress, my husband spoke about one, it was a strange New mattress company. Caspers!!! I think it is nothing we want!

Will look other places when I feel better.
Thanks for the measuring ideas.
Bunny

Hi Bunny,

If your topper was sagging by 1/2" on the floor (without any weight) then it certainly sounds like it was defective and I’m glad you were able to return it for a refund.

Casper doesn’t really have enough latex inside it to legitimately be called a latex mattress although it does contain a thin 1.5" layer of synthetic Dunlop latex. You can read more about them and some of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here. A forum search on Casper (you can just click the link) will also bring up much more information about them as well.

Phoenix

Yes I agree Phoenix, , dislike upsetting anyone, but a New 3" Latex Mattress Topper I do not think should sink that swiftly.

Phoenix is all honesty, whom Do you trust to order a 3" Latex Mattress Topper from? If you do mind me asking!

I have read here for hours, about everything about what others talk about too! I am no expert, but for a Complete well made Latex Mattresses , it appears there are Several Good Reliable companies. One being Brooklyn, SleepEZ, Sleeplikeabear, ect! I am leaning towards SleepEZ for a full California King Latex Mattress,… but am in no hurry , as a Good Latex or Talalay Mattress Topper might be all we need!!!

I understand Talalay is like Angel Food Cake, so a Medium firm might be best for the 3" Toppper …,.,or if we choose a complete Mattress in 3 Layers, and Mix with the Firm on Bottom, of the Mattress! Firm bottom, Medium Firm in middle, and Medium on Top?

Although I think the Dunlop Latex might be a better choose with my bad back.

Also I understand ILD rating is very important too!
We bought our Older Latex Topper in Soft, and the Middle is still ok I think it has stiffed from age, it has always been covered. And we Vacuum our Bed, and turn the Bed and the older Topper often.

Ok I have ask you enough things. I trust you and your opinions.
Bunny

Hi Bunny1999,

The list of the better online topper and mattress component suppliers I’m aware of is linked in my reply to you here.

[quote]I understand Talalay is like Angel Food Cake, so a Medium firm might be best for the 3" Toppper …,.,or if we choose a complete Mattress in 3 Layers, and Mix with the Firm on Bottom, of the Mattress! Firm bottom, Medium Firm in middle, and Medium on Top?

Although I think the Dunlop Latex might be a better choose with my bad back.[/quote]

There is more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here. One isn’t inherently any better than the other and the choice between them would be a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. The best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own personal experience.

ILD is only one of several specs that makes one topper or material feel softer or firmer than another (see post #4 here and post #2 here) and the ILD of different materials or different types and blends of latex also aren’t always directly comparable to each other (see post #6 here) so using ILD by itself can sometimes be misleading.

Phoenix