Does latex come in ultra-firm?

We just got a new mattress from Sleep-on-Latex.com, a 6" firm latex core ILD 44 Dunlop plus a cover (with a bit of wool quilted into it). From what I read on your site, this is the firmest latex available, but our new mattress feels soft and squishy. When I was growing up we had foam mattresses, which I thought were latex, but they were much firmer - more like a comfortable version of sleeping on the floor. Has latex changed over the decades? Or were those old mattresses likely to be some other type of foam? They would have been manufactured in the 1960’s and lasted for many decades.

I’m also wondering what to do now. Is it possible to find a firmer latex mattress, or should we be looking at something completely different? If I understand your site’s info. correctly, ILD 44 is the firmest latex available. We prefer thinner (6-7") mattresses without springs. In recent years we’ve been sleeping on synthetic foam cores (“Qualex”), but they are not firm enough and don’t last. Sleep on Latex has been more than helpful, by the way, so returning the mattress we just got shouldn’t be a problem.

Thank you for your help - and very informative website.

Hi decuevas,

Latex formulations have improved over time so the latex today is more consistent than it was then but latex now is basically the same as it was in the 1960’s. There are a few manufacturers that make latex that is even firmer than 44 ILD but this would be the firmest latex that is commonly available and would normally be considered as extra firm.

I don’t know whether your old mattress was latex but if it was then it would be very similar to a latex mattress made today that used the same type and blend of latex that was the same thickness and ILD (thickness will also have an effect on how firm a mattress feels) and had a similar cover. Most people would find a mattress that had a single 6" layer of 44 ILD too firm to sleep on but it’s possible that either your perceptions of firmness and softness are different from most other people or it’s also possible that you were shipped a mattress that was softer than what you ordered.

I would call Sleep on Latex and discuss your situation to see what they suggest and if necessary they have a great return/exchange policy that would let you exchange the mattress for a firmer version (assuming that you have a softer version than you ordered) or return it for a refund.

It may also be worthwhile testing some firmer latex mattresses locally (if they are available) to see if they are as firm as you remember. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area that may carry latex mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks for your fast response. Life got in the way here and I’m only just getting back to this. Sleep on Latex believes we did receive the correct, firm mattress based on shipping weight (the box says 110 lbs - for a 7" queen size mattress). We like the construction and quality of the cover, so we are now wondering if it’s possible to replace the core of the mattress with something firmer. Do you know of any stores (on line or brick and mortar) that might sell a 6" latex core that’s firmer than 44 ILD? We are in Baltimore, MD.
Thanks, Maggie

Hi decuevas,

If the Sleep on Latex 100% natural firm Dunlop core is 5.9 lb/ft3 (see here) or 95 kg/m3 then it’s probably a little firmer than 44 ILD (see post #2 here).

With a quick look through the DIY components list here …

diynaturalbedding sells “hard” 3" 100% natural Dunlop latex layers here which is rated at 5.92 kg/m3 and 43 - 48 ILD
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: diynaturalbedding.com/product/3-natural-latex-slab/

Latextoppers on eBay sells a 5.92 lb/ft3 6" 100% natural Dunlop core here which is rated between 45 - 49 ILD.

Both of these are 95 kg/m3 so they would be a similar firmness to Sleep on Latex if it’s also 95 kg/m3

Latex toppers on eBay also sells a 6" organic Dunlop core here which is rated at 45+ ILD.

Foam Order also sells 100% natural Dunlop toppers here and the firmest is rated at 58 - 64 ILD but this seems unusually firm and I don’t know the density (which you could check to see if it would reasonably equate to the the ILD they list).

Phoenix

Are you sure you want firmer than the 44 ILD?? I just purchased a latex matteres my build is 4" of xtra frim, 4" of firm and 1" of medium all talalay. I love a firm mattress and this is by far the firmest mattress I have laid and or slept on. To be honest it is too firm and we are going to purchase a topper to soften it up. It literally feels like i’m laying on a carpeted floor with a thin blanket under me. I am a stomach sleeper and rarely even use a pillow. With this firm mattress it literally hurts my head/cheek, feels like my face is resting on a piece of plywood with a sheet over it, no give what so ever. I am 6’ 1" 205 athletic build, Just FYI:0)
Bryce

I was hoping for a mattress as firm as the one you are describing. The one we recently got is 6" firm 44 ILD Dunlop but I sink right into it (and I’m not much over 100 lbs!) - more supportive cloud than plywood. The company (Sleep on Latex) has been very helpful and assures me we got the right thing, so I don’t know why it feels so soft. I guess I should ask them again…

Hi decuevas,

I would keep in mind that different people can have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply … it may be a good idea to test some “firm” latex mattresses locally to see how they compare to your mattress so you have a better frame of reference and I’d be happy to let you know about any of the options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area so you could check and see if any of them carry any “firm” latex mattresses.

Phoenix

We’re in Baltimore, MD. Thanks.

Hi decuevas,

The Baltimore list is in post #2 here and there are a few stores where you should be able to test a firm latex mattress (you may need to make a few calls first to confirm what they carry on their floor).

Phoenix

Wow that is an impressive list. Thank you!