Does the Seven Comforts Premium Latex Foam Mattress Pad by Brooklyn Bedding stink?

I’m getting ready to bite the bullet with the Ultimate dreams mattress and thought I’d add this topper for the icing on the cake. There are 5 reviews on Amazon and a couple of people say this thing stinks very badly. One that commented is selling it because it stinks so badly.

For those of you that have this, …do yours smell?
Is there a quality control issue, or do these people just have super sensitive schnozes?

No and yes. I don’t think the topper stinks at all, I rather liked the smell of it but there is a smell. There is a distinct latex smell and that’s a pretty common issue with latex products. This smell will bother some people more than others. Often, this smell will go away but it could take awhile.

If you have latex pillows or a latex mattress, the smell should be similar, kind of rubbery. When I got my topper it came in a box that was wrapped in plastic and was in a special bag. It was also packed really tight. I think the way they are packed and shipped doesn’t allow the latex to breath so when you open it up, the smell is quite strong.

Just a quick note though: The seven comforts topper isn’t made by Brooklyn Bedding. Brooklyn Bedding does sell solid latex toppers through their Amazon store but the seven comforts topper isn’t one of them. The seven comforts topper is made in China by a company called Cocomat. I have the seven comforts topper but not the Brooklyn Bedding one.

Hope this helps

Hi MW,

I’ll add a “ditto” to Coventry’s comments. I also have the Seven Comforts topper (actually two of them now) and they did have a rubbery smell when they were new which lingered for a while but I didn’t find it in any way offensive. The smell is long gone now. My SO is unbelievably sensitive to unpleasant smells and it also didn’t offend her at all either.

Edit: see post #52 here first if you are considering ordering this topper.

Phoenix

Thanks Coventry! I suppose a cover might aid in masking the smell. :slight_smile:

Thanks I’m going to order!

Coventry and Phoenix, I just ordered this and was wondering what kind of cover to put on this? Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks much!

Hi MW,

The Seven Comforts topper already has an unbleached natural cotton cover around the latex so all that you would need above this would be your mattress protector and your sheets and bedding.

FWIW … I just “stuck my nose” in the Seven Comforts topper to see if I could smell anything and there is a very faint smell of rubber but I certainly couldn’t notice it unless my nose was right in the topper and it’s not in any way unpleasant.

Edit: see post #52 here first if you are considering ordering this topper.

Phoenix

Great…thanks again! I guess I was thinking this pad sat on top of the sheets. It seems like a bed pad would squish it down too much. I’m not too worried about rubber smell.

Hi MW,

Most mattress protectors are very thin and flexible and are designed to have a minimal effect on the mattress (and the topper) but will protect it against stains, body fluids, and accidents which will void the warranty.

A “mattress pad” is something else again and is a little thicker and is usually used when you want to fine tune the mattress and add a little softness or local cushioning. Many of these also can act as a mattress protector but will have a bigger effect on the feel and performance of the mattress. They would normally be used when a topper is 'too much" but you need a little more softness on the surface of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

I’ve ordered the Ultimate Dreams Euro-top from BB but have yet to discuss firmness level with them. Should I consider this topper in the “equation” when I choose the firmness level of the mattress? …or am I totally out to lunch? haha Have I gone way overboard with the purchase of the topper? I can always use it on another bed.

Hi MW,

I would tend to keep the variables to a minimum and “design” the mattress to be as close as possible without anything extra. If you “err” on the side of firmness rather than softness then a topper can be part of any fine tuning that may be necessary.

They (and you) would have no way to really know the firmness choice that could work best for you or what to recommend or choose if unknown layers that neither of you have tested or have specific knowledge of are included in the picture.

Phoenix