Dormeo Octaspring Mattress

Are you sure that is not the other way around? Since the Dormeo post has the old names, did the old models have a 1.5" top layer?

I am also starting to get some densities: the two firmnesses of memory foam octaspring are both 5 lb density and the lower layer eco-cells are either 3.5, 3.0 or 2.5 lb density.

Hi demackison,

According to the information that Dormeo posted on the forum … the current versions of the Octaspring mattresses from the 6500 to the 9500 all have 1.5" top layers of memory foam (they used to be 2").

Dormeo also sells two other lines of mattresses (the Dolce and the Serenite) which would have different designs but they didn’t post the thickness of the top layer for these. The Serenite line uses Talalay latex in the top layer instead of memory foam.

Phoenix

The Dolce and the Serenite lines are the new beds with the black cover, names instead of numbers, etc I was talking about.

Wow, I forgot to subscribe to this thread and see that it’s gotten really long. Thanks for that tutorial, but we have no money to do this again. Our income has gotten progressively worse since 2008 and we’re avoiding credit card slavery.

But I’m having problems with this memory foam one. I’m overweight and most of the weight is in my hips and torso area. I’m also a side sleeper and so my torso sinks in, but it tries to make my legs stick up, unless I put one leg on top of the other, to weight it down. I wound up having a meniscus problem in my left knee, that won’t go away now, and the only time it gets worse instead of better, is when I wake up after the mattress has pushed my left leg up in the air, while sleeping on my left side.

Has anyone ever heard of mattresses actually causing injuries like this?

Which model did you buy. We ordered the octaspring 6500 from Brookstone and should get it next week (king size). The price was good and they have a 90 day trial period less initial shipping. I’ll let everyone know what we think.

Hi Mama Bear,

Yes … anything (or a combination of things) that leads to misalignment of the joints or spine so they are outside of their neutral position or that causes repetitive stress can either cause or aggravate an injury over time.

These all appear to be “symptoms” of a mattress that may be too soft and isn’t a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

It’s very difficult to “fix” a mattress where either the comfort layers are too thick and soft or where the support layers are too soft without removing and replacing layers in the mattress but there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be “somewhat” helpful.

Phoenix

Just wanted to share my experience with the Dormeo bed. After 2 refused deliveries due to damaged merchandise (damaged like you’d find in an as is clearance center) I would never buy this bed. I have no idea how comfortable it is because we never got to sleep on it. The 1st time it was delivered damaged, I just figured it was a one time thing and said I’d be willing to accept a new one. The 2nd time the box spring was ripped, had marker stains and the carton the mattress was in was open on one end. I don’t blame Brookstone, they were wonderful and customer service refunded my entire purchase right away. But Dormeo, how did this item make it out the door is beyond me. Just wanted to make everyone aware if you should buy this mattress, check it out carefully.

Got a quick question

Tried several mattress this afternoon and the seller offers me a Dormeo 6500 (Double) for 1370 CDN. Is it an ok price?

Had hard time finding reviews on this type of mattress. I was going for a Tempur Pedic but the seller told me it wasn’t a good idea since I can move a lot and I’m used to be a lot too warm when I sleep.

Still, I don’t know this company and some reviews are worrying to say at least…

I got a 60 days warranty.

Thanks for your help

Hi Mercador,

The “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to the other mattresses you are comparing it to or that are available to you in terms of suitability and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), the durability of the materials inside it, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. A mattress that would be good value for one person or in one area may not be good value for another person or in a different area where there are different mattresses available.

I would be very cautious about using reviews (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information about either the suitability or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a good choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

There is also more information about the Dormeo Octaspring mattresses in post #2 here that may be helpful but I would make sure you can confirm the thickness and density of all the layers in the mattress (see this article) before considering it.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Actually, I read pretty all much of these threads before creating my account.

As for the material, they don’t really know. The seller told me that the companies don’t tell them specs like that because it messed up customers… well, I’m not sure it’s the good reason but oh well, I don’t like to get an argument with a seller.

I’m living in Quebec City, CA.

I’ve checked other places for the same mattress and it seems the price is quite good. I’m just worried by the durability of the mattress, more of the springs in fact. Moreover, maybe it’s just me, but I feel the springs in my back, not sure it’s quite good.

I was thinking buying a Tempur but I’m afraid I’ll get to much heat. Still, it’s a lot of money and I really don’t want to make a bad choice… :frowning:

Hi Mercador,

I would be very cautious with buying any mattress where you can’t confirm the quality and durability of the materials inside it because without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comparisons with other mattresses and you would be making a very risky purchase (see the guidelines here).

I haven’t done a great deal of research in Quebec partly because of the language barrier but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #276 here.

As you know from your reading here the value of a mattress has little to do with it’s regular price or the amount of any discount on the mattress. If for example a mattress is twice the cost of another mattress but uses lower quality and less durable materials then even if you were to buy it at half the regular price it would still be a lower quality/value mattress and have a shorter useable lifetime than the other mattress that used higher quality and more durable materials.

You can’t “feel” the quality or the durability of the materials in a mattress and lower quality and less durable materials can feel the same as higher quality and more durable materials in a showroom … they just don’t last as long. This is why it’s always important to make sure a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) AND that you also make sure that there isn’t more than about an inch or so of unknown or lower quality materials in a mattress (see this article). If a retailer either can’t or won’t provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice or doesn’t understand the importance of making sure that a mattress uses good quality materials then I would pass the mattress by because the risks of the premature loss of comfort and support relative to the price you paid would be too high.

The “value” of a mattress always depends on …

1. Testing the mattress for PPP
  2. Checking the quality of the materials inside it to make sure there are no weak links in the mattress
  3. Comparing the mattress for “value” based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Dormeo is very hush hush about the specific materials in the mattress (proprietary) and I think that’s a bit of an issue, especially if someone wants to be reassured about toxins. Just an observation, but Eastern Europe isn’t the first place I think of when it comes quality or full disclosure.

Hi slewmart,

At least they have disclosed some of their specs so they are “somewhat” transparent.

To the best of my knowledge …

The MemoryCoils are 5 lb density memory foam
The Eco-cell EcoSprings are polyfoam that range from 2.5 - 3.5 lb density.
The top 1.5" - 2" layers in the Octaspring and Dolce lines are also memory foam which I believe is 3 lb density.
The Serenite line includes a 2" layer of Talalay latex (I don’t know if it’s blended or 100% natural but I would guess it’s blended)

Phoenix

Hello,

After a bad car accident (hit by a drunk), I found that my firm mattress wasn’t cutting it for me any longer. My spine was just too stiff.

So, approximately 1 year ago my doctor advised a more suitable bed, and I found the Octaspring. I referred to this very thread, I believe, and noticed a general lack of reviews for this product, so I’ll share my non-expert opinion here so perhaps others in my position will have an easier time deciding.

I ended up purchasing an Octaspring 8500 from Sleep Country Canada, who at the time had a Canada-wide exclusive on the model (believe they might have renewed it, though it was due to expire at the time). The price they were asking, including the bed platform was approximately $4000 + tax CDN, which again at the time was roughly equivalent to the US dollar (if not a little stronger).

I tried the 6500 and found it too hard, but that’s only over 30 minutes of lying on it in the showroom. The 8500 was too expensive for my budget though. In the end, through hard negotiation with multiple locations (pitting salesman against salesman) I was able to purchase the mattress itself without the bed platform (retail ~$3300), for $2200, and I made them throw in two of the Octaspring Evolution Plus pillows as well (retail $159 each). This was a tough price to obtain… the salesman was adamant that he could to no better than $3000 on the mattress by itself… but I don’t give up easily.

As for the bed, I can tell you that the springs are NOT arranged exactly as shown in the literature. In fact, if you remove the mattress cover that it comes with, you can see only one colour of spring all the way around (the densest one). I called to ask about this and found out that the reason is that they want someone sitting on the edge of the bed not to crush the springs down, so the single row of dense springs at the edge allow for edge support (I suppose it keeps you from rolling off the side too). So, don’t be shocked if you cannot see all the different colours… they’re present, just not visible.

Be sure not to use a bed platform that varies from their solid-base design. It needs to be on something solid with not too many perforations or you’ll both void your warranty and damage the mattress. However, I don’t find the stock platform very worthwhile as a purchase and so I recommend the “Structures by Malouf Highrise” bed platform at about $100. It is durable, but you must find a way to make the base solid as it is heavy metal wire. I ziptied 5/8" plywood to the frame and it resulted in a super-strong base to place the mattress on. I’d put this setup against any Octaspring platform and come out the winner, and at 1/10th the price too.

The bed is definitely cooler than a solid foam mattress. I don’t have hard data to back that up, but you can tell the airflow is excellent.

On the 8500 you do seem to sink in a bit as the top layer seems fairly soft. I’d say the 8500 is just a 6500 with an additional softer layer on top. However, since I’m 6’6" and 210lbs, I found the 6500 a little bit too hard, especially given my sore back from the car accident. My wife, who is 5’7" and 105lbs found little difference between the 6500 and 8500 - she sinks in quite a bit less than I do on either bed.

Durability is hard to predict, but so far it’s been quite good after about one year of use. I don’t know if it will last 20+ years, but so far I haven’t noticed much of a change in the original feel/comfort of the foam. I think there is a very sleight imprint in the foam since I sleep in the same position each night, and while you cannot see this imprint, I think I can feel it a bit. No matter, it just makes it feel like the mattress is holding you a bit more snugly, so it’s not too bad of a feeling. Note that an Octaspring Mattress is not made to be flipped or rotated at all. Doing so voids the warranty and the manufacturer claims it’s not necessary and in fact harmful to the mattress to do so.

I have noticed that when I come to bed late, I no longer disturb my wife from her sleep. Movement is greatly reduced because the springs are independent from each other (largely, at least).

The pillows are a good match with the bed. My wife finds them too hard, but since I have a head like an Easter Island statue, I find it holds my head well though definitely on the firm side. It does allow for a good spine alignment though… everything ends up being pretty straight and comfortable. These pillows are really hard on stomach sleepers though - don’t buy them if you sleep that way. My wife sleeps on her stomach and finds the bed very comfortable, just not with one of those pillows.

I should also note that my mattress was manufactured in the U.S. (Texas, I believe) and showed up with some grime on one side underneath the zip-cover. I would not have noticed it except unzipping to see the colour of the springs, but when I called Octaspring they offered to have Sleep Country replace it if I wanted. Ultimately I didn’t feel the discolouration was enough to ask for a replacement. I don’t know if I was passed a “used” bed or not, but I think the odds are it was just stained at the factory and nobody noticed it before packing it up.

So, my verdict on the bed is that it’s a good choice provided you have the money to spend on it. Dollar-for-dollar against a more traditional coil spring bed, I don’t think it stands up so well. For example, my Sealy Posturpedic at $800 was better “bang for the buck” than the Octaspring 8500 at $2200, but the Octaspring is hands-down more comfortable if we forget about how much was spent. To summarize, if you have the money to spend on a high-end comfy bed, this is a good choice, especially if you’re worried about how hot a traditional memory foam mattress can be. Put up against all the other memory foam mattresses I tried out briefly, I would say it’s your only choice if excessive heat bothers you.

I think that’s all I have to say about the Octaspring for now, but I can probably answer general questions if there are any. I don’t frequent this website very often, but I’ll try to check over the next few days.

Hi Otrex,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed, balanced, and insightful comments about your Octaspring … I apreciate it!

It certainly seem like your 8500 is a great “match” for you in terms of PPP … and congratulations on your new mattress (a little belatedly) :slight_smile:

The Dormeo website here (click “technology”) and here have pictures that show the firmer edge support that you are mentioning.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Better Than a Memory Foam Mattress Topper | The Premium Mattress Topper by Dormeo® | Archived Footprint 2: Better Than a Memory Foam Mattress Topper | The Premium Mattress Topper by Dormeo®

If a mattress is well inside the comfort/support range that is suitable for someone and isn’t close to the edge of the range that is too soft for them when it is new and it doesn’t have any weak links in the design then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

While the 5 lb memory foam and the 2.5 - 3.5 lb polyfoam they use are certainly higher quality and durable materials and there are no obvious weak links in the mattress … the cutaways of the foam springs would probably reduce durability to some degree. It’s also more realistic to think of about 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress no matter what the quality of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

Having said that … with higher quality materials throughout a mattress and/or for people whose needs and preferences or physical condition or body type hasn’t changed much over 10 years then “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” with higher quality/density and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam or natural fibers is much more likely than with less durable materials. With the most durable mattress constructions and materials it would be more likely that some people would sleep “well enough” on a mattress for 20 years before they cross the threshold into “tolerating” a mattress and deciding to replace it but I think this would be a fairly rare exception in the case of the Octaspring.

The Octaspring mattress can’t be flipped because it’s a one sided mattress but like all mattresses it could certainly benefit from occasionally rotating it 180 degrees which can help even out the wear and foam softening and may extend its useful life to some degree (see post #2 here).

Thanks once again for taking the time to share such helpful and detailed feedback.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response. I’m glad I could offer some review of what appears to be a fairly difficult product to find information on.

As to rotating the mattress, we were instructed by Octaspring not to rotate it at all because of the difference in the position of the springs for the head and foot of the mattress. Of course, if we can confirm that this is not the case, I’d be happy to rotate it, but based on the drawings I saw, you would indeed be swapping the zones around if you rotated it.

Hi Otrex,

If the zoning pattern is designed so that it’s not the same in both directions then I would agree that it shouldn’t be rotated but my understanding (which may not be correct) is that the zones are the same in both directions. There are some pictures here that also seem to indicate zoning that is symmetrical in both directions.

Phoenix

Thanks for the review, I got the 6500 yesterday so I will give my impressions after a while.

Though, is the logo should be in the head or the feets? Just to be sure…

Phoenix is correct, the zones are the same in both directions.

The Octaspring beds with one layer of octasprings have two firmnesses of memory foam divided into three zones: a firmer center zone and a less firm head and foot section.

In addition to that top layer of octasprings, those beds with two or more layers of octasprings have variable firmness in both the top two layers. The second layer has three firmnesses divided into five zones with, again, the center zone the firmest and symmetrical gradations as you head away from the center toward the head or feet.

Hi demackison,

Thanks for confirming that the zoning is the same in both directions :slight_smile:

Phoenix