Dormeo Octaspring Mattress

Ok, I was just wondering because ours came in what looked like a sealed up box that had straps around it with the dormeo brand on it, but then the mattress was just in an open ended bag and taped up. The cover is flawless without a mark anywhere on it (any mattress cover could help with that though)… I’ve spoke to customer service and distrubtion and they say dormeo packeges them both ways, some in a sealed bag and some in just an open bag, then boxed! :dry:

Hey folks, greetings from Toronto and I signed up specifically because of this thread.

Me and the Mrs. are in the market for our first ever king mattress and we drove over to Sleep Country since it’s close and would have a lot of beds on display.

What it came down to, ultimately, is two choices. One being these OctaSpring beds, and the other was called a Sealy Atrium that was solid memory foam with a euro top

I have to say that the “techie” in me loves the thought of the technology in the Dormeo mattress, but as you all have noted, there is little to no information out there other than this useful forum thread. And the little that is out there, is mostly negative. But you have to expect that people who are unhappy are ultimately going to be the ones posting about it while generally happy customers will not

I guess what I’m ultimately asking is, does anybody have any current opinions now that some time has gone by since the last response?

Any owners out there that can attest to how their bed is holding up?

And last but not least, Phoenix or anyone else, any thoughts on a Sealy Atrium if this Dormeo is not recommended?

Thank you all in advance for any help, I’ve subscribed to this thread

Cheers!

I also don’t like that a Dormeo rep posted here ONE time then never addressed a single follow up question after that. Take some lessons in Social Media guys, that’s weak

Hi rolex,

Their mattresses haven’t changed in terms of their materials or designs since the later replies in this topic and in post #2 and the rest of this topic as well so my thoughts about them would still be the same.

They haven’t been on the market for long enough for anyone to be able to really be able to make any meaningful comments about their durability based on actual experience. I would also be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable or how durable a mattress or any specific material may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on either in terms of suitability or durability (see post #13 here).

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the quality/durability of the materials inside it regardless of the specific mattress or the name of the manufacturer that makes it and there are much more reliable ways to assess the quality/durability of a mattress or know whether it has any weak links in its design than using reviews (see this article and the quality/durability guidelines that it links to).

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for any particular person because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person, if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new and meets the minimum quality specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer. There is also more about the many variables that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about any mattress unless you know the type and quality of all the materials inside it so you can identify any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress. In very general terms though I would avoid all the major brands (or any mattress where you don’t know the quality of the materials inside it) and the chain stores that often sell them because they all tend to use lower quality/density materials than I would be comfortable with in their comfort layers (see the guidelines here). Even the few that don’t have any obvious weak links in their design are generally not in a good value range compared to many other mattresses that use higher quality and more durable materials and are in lower price ranges.

Just in case you haven’t already … I would also make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

If you let me know your city or postal code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I would definitely like to hear your recommendations. I am located in Brampton, ON. Postal code L6Y 1N7

Thanks again

Hi rolex,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the GTA region including Brampton (and subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #1 here.

Phoenix

Hi Rolex,

Got my Dormeo since 2 months now and still like it. It’s not warm like a Tempur.

As Phoenix said, we can’t say for durability for several years but by now, I’m happy with my purchase (made at Sleeping Country or whatever is called in English :wink: )

Excellent to know - thank you for the first hand experience. What size did you buy?

Double bed

Mercador,

I am curious… when your mattress arrived, was it vacuum packed? (no air)
If not, what delivery company was it?
Was that a Queen Size mattress?
Thanks!

Hello. I created an account because I am mattress shopping and came across the Dormeo brand at Sit n Sleep in CA. I went there because we bought out last mattress there (over 12 years ago) and got great service. Plus, they would have many brands and models to try. The Dormeo models they had were not numbered. They were called the “Dreamy” or “Heavenly”. I have bad back problems (3 bulging discs and sciatica) and the hubby is starting to have back problems too. I didn’t buy it because I like to do my research, but like most of you, I couldn’t really find much information about this brand. However, what I have noticed is that you guys use numbers for the models. I’m trying to figure out the difference and get more info.

Hi mgaines,

The Dormeo Dreamy and Heavenly mattresses are different from the Dormeo mattresses listed on the Dormeo site and instead of using “polyfoam ecocells” for support they use a pocket coil for the support core instead.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between different mattresses you are considering but the most important part of “value” of a mattress purchase is always comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which you will be able to assess with your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial).

Outside of PPP a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it and the durability and useful lifetime of a mattress is also one of the most important parts of the value of a mattress. No matter how it may feel in a showroom … there would be little value in buying a mattress where the use of lower quality and less durable materials leads to foam softening and the loss of comfort and support much too quickly after a purchase and foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t considered to be a defect and isn’t covered by a mattress warranty (see post #174 here). The information you need to assess the durability of a mattress is listed in this article.

The materials and components in the Dreamy that they have listed on their site (and my comments about them) are …

1.5" 3-Pound Memory Foam Comfort layer: While this is a lower quality/density memory foam … it’s only 1.5" thick so it would still be inside the quality/durability guidelines here and wouldn’t be an obvious weak link in the mattress.

3-zoned, 2" Memory Foam MemoryCoils: In their other mattresses this is a 5 lb memory foam which is a high quality and durable material but I would confirm that it’s the same density in this mattress as well.

.75" Ecocell Support Layer: In their other mattresses this is 2.5 lb - 3.5 lb polyfoam and if they are the same in this mattress it would also be a high quality and durable material.

8" 15 and 16 gauge Wrapped Coils in 3-zones. 16 gauge foam encased edge support for additional support and airflow for cool comfort with durable stability: This is also a good quality component and the support core of a mattress isn’t normally the weakest link in a mattress anyway (a mattress will tend to soften, impress, or break down from the top layers down).

.75" Ecocell Support Layer: Same comments as the other Ecocell layer.

I would want to confirm the density of all the foam layers with Sit N Sleep but if these specs are correct then there wouldn’t be any obvious weak link in this mattress in terms of the quality and durability of the materials.

The materials and components in the Heavenly that they have listed on their site (along with my comments as well) are …

2" Buoyant Talalay Latex Pillow Top: This is a very high quality material and Talalay latex is among the most durable foam materials in the industry.
1.5" 5-Pound Memory Foam Comfort layer: This is also a high quality/density and durable material.

3-zoned, 2" Memory Foam MemoryCoils:
.75" Ecocell Support Layer:
8" 15 and 16 gauge Wrapped Coils in 3-zones. 16 gauge foam encased edge support for additional support and airflow for cool comfort with durable stability
.75" Ecocell Support Layer: All the bottom 4 layers and components would be the same as the Dreamy mattress.

I would also want to confirm the density of all the foam layers in the Heavenly mattress with Sit N Sleep but if these specs are correct then there also wouldn’t be any obvious weak link in this mattress in terms of the quality and durability of the materials (and since the memory foam layer is 5 lb instead of 3 and with the Talalay latex it would be more durable than the Dreamy mattress).

If you have tested these mattresses and have confirmed that either one or both of them are a good match for you in terms of PPP and confirmed the density of the foam materials then in terms of the quality/durability of the materials they would be worth considering if they also compare well to your other finalists based on PPP and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is more information about Dormeo in post #2 here and the posts it links to along with the rest of the same topic and the topic we are posting in.

Hopefully this has help you decide about whether to include the Dreamy and/or the Heavenly in your “finalists”.

I hope you’ve also had the chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice and just in case you haven’t seen it yet … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Greater Los Angeles area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked) are also listed in post #2 here and it would probably be well worth visiting a few of the other retailers/manufacturers that are close enough to you as well so that you are confident that any mattress you choose is the most suitable, the most durable, and the best “value” choice that is available to you.

Phoenix

Plastic bag, but not compressed

I actually spent time at their store trying both the dreamy and heavenly. I liked the heavenly best, but it is very pricey for the size bed we have (Cal King). Based on your post, it sounds like it’s a good quality mattress. I tried several other brands, but by far these two felt the best on my back and side. Even my kids loved them. Thank you for the information. I will read the other information you mentioned.

Hi mgaines,

As you mentioned the Dormer is in a higher budget range than many other mattresses that use similar quality materials (although the Memorycoils they use are also somewhat unique) and it’s also a very large jump in price from the Dreamy to the Heavenly when the only material difference is that the 1.5" memory foam layer is higher quality/density and it has an additional 2" of latex in the design.

Hopefully the other mattresses you were comparing to the Dormeo were at some of the other stores on the Los Angeles list and not just some of the other brands that are carried at the same store and I would make some careful value comparisons so that you are confident that the differences between the Dormeo mattresses and some of the other mattresses that are available to you in terms of suitability, durability, and “value” would be “enough” in your actual experience to justify the higher cost.

Phoenix

Hello Forum,
We just put a deposit on a Dormeo 6600 (King) through Sleep country, which puts us in the medium/firm range of their product. While I see the potential and design considerations of the Octaspring model, I wonder if the less dense foam at the center of the mattress will break down quicker?
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepcountry.ca/products/tabid/131/products/500/mattresses/dormeo-octaspring-6600/default.aspx

As Dormeo is a new product in the marketplace, the upper end price is making me do some more investigation. There certainly seems to be plenty of other options and design configuration to consider. As we read reviews and comparison sites, it is clear that this industry has a tendency to obfuscate the shopping process to such an extent that diligent comparison will only lead us to greater confusion. Since we are in Vancouver, Canada we looked toward a Canadian manufacturer. (even though we could equally receive beds from the folks like Bed in a Box, Leesa, Casper, Ultimate Dreams, the exchange rate sucks at the moment!) So this choice points us toward Novosbed, who seem to have a strong product, with good materials and a strong guarantee. Lower price too!

Still it feels like we are comparing Apples and Cactus… Can anyone provide insight into recent Dormeo Octaspring purchase and if/how they compared other brands?

Hi CharlieVancouver,

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would also keep in mind that as long as the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines I lionked to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

[quote]As Dormeo is a new product in the marketplace, the upper end price is making me do some more investigation.

As Dormeo is a new product in the marketplace, the upper end price is making me do some more investigation. There certainly seems to be plenty of other options and design configuration to consider. As we read reviews and comparison sites, it is clear that this industry has a tendency to obfuscate the shopping process to such an extent that diligent comparison will only lead us to greater confusion.[/quote]

I would certainly encourage you to do some very careful “value” comparisons when you are looking at mattresses in relatively high price ranges like the Dormeo mattresses and I would need a compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” compared to many other mattresses that may be just as suitable in terms of “comfort” and PPP, just as durable, and that are in much lower budget ranges to justify the higher cost.

If you can provide the information listed here about type and quality/density of the materials and components in their mattresses and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside it and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if I can see any lower quality/density materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of the mattress. If a retailer or manufacturer is either unable or unwilling to provide you with this information then it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about a mattress and it would be a very high risk purchase … and I would pass it by.

I can certainly understand your concerns about the current exchange rates.

You can see my comments about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious with any mattress that uses more than “about an inch or so” of 3 lb memory foam which is a lower quality and less durable material that don’t meet the minimum quality/durability guidelines I linked and I would consider this to be a weak link in their mattresses which I would avoid.

You can also see some comments about Casper and Leesa and many of the other what I call “simplified choice mattresses” in post #2 here the simplified choice topic. Leesa also has 2" of 3 lb memory foam in their mattress and even though it’s deeper in the mattress (which generally improves durability) … I would be cautious here as well since it would also be a potential weak link in the mattress.

As long as you aren’t in a higher than average weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) then the materials in the Casper meet the minimum guidelines that I would suggest although there may also be better quality/value options available to you as well.

Dreamfoam (Ultimate Dreams) makes a very wide range of mattresses but they use good quality materials and outside of a very few of their very lowest budget mattresses they also don’t contain any lower quality materials or weak links in their mattresses and would be well worth considering.

Novosbed also uses good quality materials in their mattress and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of their mattresses either (again assuming you aren’t in a higher than average weight range). NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

Some of the better online options I’m aware of that ship across Canada (including Novosbed and Dreamfoam) are listed in post #21 here.

Your own careful testing and/or your actual personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness, etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The better local options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Vancouver, BC area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks for the great feedback and homework! One must be diligent in this space and become better informed on products and design aspects when making this important decision. Taking a pure health value position, (see Surprising Reasons to Get More Sleep at 7 Surprising Health Benefits to Getting More Sleep) buying a mattress is a bigger deal than most people think.

Good point on the weight discussion, I’m over 200 lbs (but working on it), so need to make sure the quality material is in there. It’s not easy to find specifications on the materials in the Dormeo 6600, which in and of itself raises questions.

I did look at Ultimate Dreams Supreme 12″ Gel Memory Foam, which seems to be our second choice in the Canadian Market.

Keep up the good work!

Hi CharlieVancouver,

I included a link to my last reply in this topic along with some additional information that would be relative to your higher weight range and the other questions you asked in my reply in your other topic here.

I would completely agree with this. The mattress you sleep on is one of the most important purchases you will make over the next 10 years or so and can have a bigger effect on your overall well being both waking and sleeping than almost any other purchase you make and it’s well worth the time and effort and research involved to make the best possible choice.

Phoenix

I stumbled upon Dormars UK site when looking for mattresses with a free return policy (there aren’t as many options in the UK). They offer a 60 day “white glove” collect and return policy and the mattresses are sufficiently different from anything else I’ve tried so I thought it would be worth investigating further.

The problem for me is that they are well over my budget, but I did find some third party retailers who were selling them considerably cheaper. I phoned the company anyway, and when I mentioned this price difference, they said that they had some “custom” designs that they weren’t advertising on their website that they could do a special offer on. The two he described to me were the Mistral, which was a variant on the 6500 at £699 (£1399 on their site, £899 elsewhere) and the Sirrocco, a variant on the 8000 at £799 (£1899 in their site £1249 elsewhere). After a sufficient grilling over the veracity of their return policy, I bite the bullet and ordered a Mistral, with an assurance that they would collect and refund, or exchange for a Sirrocco if it wasn’t right). He also threw in a couple of EU Memosan Anatomic memory foam pillows, which they sell for £39.99!

I can’t find much out about these variants, very little comes up online, but I found some references from 2012 to the range being exclusive to Dreams (there is a third variant call the Levanto, which is cheaper than the others, so I guess it’s based on the 5500).

The company said they would send more info, and I received this shortly after placing the order:

Mistral
• 3cm Top layer of Memory Foam
• 2 Layers of Individually placed Octaprings
• 5 Individual Eco-cell support zones
• Similar to the Octaspring 6500

Sirocco
• 3cm Top layer of Memory Foam
• 3 layers of individually placed Octasprings
• 5 individual Eco-cell support zones
• Similar to the Octaspring 8000

So it looks like the main difference is the Mistral has two extra “zones” and the Sirocco has three less?
Interested to hear if anyone else has encountered these and knows of any other differences?