Dormeo Octaspring Mattress

Plastic bag, but not compressed

I actually spent time at their store trying both the dreamy and heavenly. I liked the heavenly best, but it is very pricey for the size bed we have (Cal King). Based on your post, it sounds like it’s a good quality mattress. I tried several other brands, but by far these two felt the best on my back and side. Even my kids loved them. Thank you for the information. I will read the other information you mentioned.

Hi mgaines,

As you mentioned the Dormer is in a higher budget range than many other mattresses that use similar quality materials (although the Memorycoils they use are also somewhat unique) and it’s also a very large jump in price from the Dreamy to the Heavenly when the only material difference is that the 1.5" memory foam layer is higher quality/density and it has an additional 2" of latex in the design.

Hopefully the other mattresses you were comparing to the Dormeo were at some of the other stores on the Los Angeles list and not just some of the other brands that are carried at the same store and I would make some careful value comparisons so that you are confident that the differences between the Dormeo mattresses and some of the other mattresses that are available to you in terms of suitability, durability, and “value” would be “enough” in your actual experience to justify the higher cost.

Phoenix

Hello Forum,
We just put a deposit on a Dormeo 6600 (King) through Sleep country, which puts us in the medium/firm range of their product. While I see the potential and design considerations of the Octaspring model, I wonder if the less dense foam at the center of the mattress will break down quicker?
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepcountry.ca/products/tabid/131/products/500/mattresses/dormeo-octaspring-6600/default.aspx

As Dormeo is a new product in the marketplace, the upper end price is making me do some more investigation. There certainly seems to be plenty of other options and design configuration to consider. As we read reviews and comparison sites, it is clear that this industry has a tendency to obfuscate the shopping process to such an extent that diligent comparison will only lead us to greater confusion. Since we are in Vancouver, Canada we looked toward a Canadian manufacturer. (even though we could equally receive beds from the folks like Bed in a Box, Leesa, Casper, Ultimate Dreams, the exchange rate sucks at the moment!) So this choice points us toward Novosbed, who seem to have a strong product, with good materials and a strong guarantee. Lower price too!

Still it feels like we are comparing Apples and Cactus… Can anyone provide insight into recent Dormeo Octaspring purchase and if/how they compared other brands?

Hi CharlieVancouver,

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would also keep in mind that as long as the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines I lionked to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

[quote]As Dormeo is a new product in the marketplace, the upper end price is making me do some more investigation.

As Dormeo is a new product in the marketplace, the upper end price is making me do some more investigation. There certainly seems to be plenty of other options and design configuration to consider. As we read reviews and comparison sites, it is clear that this industry has a tendency to obfuscate the shopping process to such an extent that diligent comparison will only lead us to greater confusion.[/quote]

I would certainly encourage you to do some very careful “value” comparisons when you are looking at mattresses in relatively high price ranges like the Dormeo mattresses and I would need a compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” compared to many other mattresses that may be just as suitable in terms of “comfort” and PPP, just as durable, and that are in much lower budget ranges to justify the higher cost.

If you can provide the information listed here about type and quality/density of the materials and components in their mattresses and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside it and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if I can see any lower quality/density materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of the mattress. If a retailer or manufacturer is either unable or unwilling to provide you with this information then it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about a mattress and it would be a very high risk purchase … and I would pass it by.

I can certainly understand your concerns about the current exchange rates.

You can see my comments about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious with any mattress that uses more than “about an inch or so” of 3 lb memory foam which is a lower quality and less durable material that don’t meet the minimum quality/durability guidelines I linked and I would consider this to be a weak link in their mattresses which I would avoid.

You can also see some comments about Casper and Leesa and many of the other what I call “simplified choice mattresses” in post #2 here the simplified choice topic. Leesa also has 2" of 3 lb memory foam in their mattress and even though it’s deeper in the mattress (which generally improves durability) … I would be cautious here as well since it would also be a potential weak link in the mattress.

As long as you aren’t in a higher than average weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) then the materials in the Casper meet the minimum guidelines that I would suggest although there may also be better quality/value options available to you as well.

Dreamfoam (Ultimate Dreams) makes a very wide range of mattresses but they use good quality materials and outside of a very few of their very lowest budget mattresses they also don’t contain any lower quality materials or weak links in their mattresses and would be well worth considering.

Novosbed also uses good quality materials in their mattress and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of their mattresses either (again assuming you aren’t in a higher than average weight range). NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

Some of the better online options I’m aware of that ship across Canada (including Novosbed and Dreamfoam) are listed in post #21 here.

Your own careful testing and/or your actual personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness, etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The better local options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Vancouver, BC area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks for the great feedback and homework! One must be diligent in this space and become better informed on products and design aspects when making this important decision. Taking a pure health value position, (see Surprising Reasons to Get More Sleep at 7 Surprising Health Benefits to Getting More Sleep) buying a mattress is a bigger deal than most people think.

Good point on the weight discussion, I’m over 200 lbs (but working on it), so need to make sure the quality material is in there. It’s not easy to find specifications on the materials in the Dormeo 6600, which in and of itself raises questions.

I did look at Ultimate Dreams Supreme 12″ Gel Memory Foam, which seems to be our second choice in the Canadian Market.

Keep up the good work!

Hi CharlieVancouver,

I included a link to my last reply in this topic along with some additional information that would be relative to your higher weight range and the other questions you asked in my reply in your other topic here.

I would completely agree with this. The mattress you sleep on is one of the most important purchases you will make over the next 10 years or so and can have a bigger effect on your overall well being both waking and sleeping than almost any other purchase you make and it’s well worth the time and effort and research involved to make the best possible choice.

Phoenix

I stumbled upon Dormars UK site when looking for mattresses with a free return policy (there aren’t as many options in the UK). They offer a 60 day “white glove” collect and return policy and the mattresses are sufficiently different from anything else I’ve tried so I thought it would be worth investigating further.

The problem for me is that they are well over my budget, but I did find some third party retailers who were selling them considerably cheaper. I phoned the company anyway, and when I mentioned this price difference, they said that they had some “custom” designs that they weren’t advertising on their website that they could do a special offer on. The two he described to me were the Mistral, which was a variant on the 6500 at £699 (£1399 on their site, £899 elsewhere) and the Sirrocco, a variant on the 8000 at £799 (£1899 in their site £1249 elsewhere). After a sufficient grilling over the veracity of their return policy, I bite the bullet and ordered a Mistral, with an assurance that they would collect and refund, or exchange for a Sirrocco if it wasn’t right). He also threw in a couple of EU Memosan Anatomic memory foam pillows, which they sell for £39.99!

I can’t find much out about these variants, very little comes up online, but I found some references from 2012 to the range being exclusive to Dreams (there is a third variant call the Levanto, which is cheaper than the others, so I guess it’s based on the 5500).

The company said they would send more info, and I received this shortly after placing the order:

Mistral
• 3cm Top layer of Memory Foam
• 2 Layers of Individually placed Octaprings
• 5 Individual Eco-cell support zones
• Similar to the Octaspring 6500

Sirocco
• 3 layers of individually placed Octasprings
• 5 individual Eco-cell support zones
• Similar to the Octaspring 8000

So it looks like the main difference is the Mistral has two extra “zones” and the Sirocco has three less?
Interested to hear if anyone else has encountered these and knows of any other differences?

Hi paddyb,

[quote]I can’t find much out about these variants, very little comes up online, but I found some references from 2012 to the range being exclusive to Dreams (there is a third variant call the Levanto, which is cheaper than the others, so I guess it’s based on the 5500).

The company said they would send more info, and I received this shortly after placing the order:

Mistral
• 2 Layers of Individually placed Octaprings
• 5 Individual Eco-cell support zones
• Similar to the Octaspring 6500

Sirocco
• 3 layers of individually placed Octasprings
• 5 individual Eco-cell support zones
• Similar to the Octaspring 8000

So it looks like the main difference is the Mistral has two extra “zones” and the Sirocco has three less?[/quote]

The description of the Octaspring 6500 on the UK site indicates that the top Octaspring memory foam layer has 3 zones and the Octaspring polyfoam base layer seems to have a single firmness level with no zoning so if this is correct it would have a total of 3 zones. Your description of the Mistral doesn’t indicate the number of zones in each of the Octaspring layers so it’s not completely clear how the design or zoning configuration compares to the 6500 but if the bottom polyfoam Octaspring layer (that they call the Eco-Cell layer) has 5 zones then the total number of zones would be 5 plus the number of zones in the top memory foam Octaspring layer.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: dormeo.co.uk/octaspring-range/luxury-octaspring-mattresses/octaspring-9502.html

The description of the Octaspring 8000 on the UK site indicates that the top Octaspring memory foam layer also has 3 zones and then there is a 5 zoned polyfoam Octaspring layer underneath this with a bottom polyfoam Octaspring layer at the bottom which seems to have a single firmness level with no zoning so if this is correct then between the top and middle layers it would have a total of 8 zones. Your description of the Sirocco also doesn’t indicate the number of zones in each of the 3 Octaspring layers so it’s also not clear how the design or zoning configuration compares to the 8000 either. If the top memory foam Octaspring layer in the Sirocco also has 3 zones and the middle Octaspring polyfoam layer has 5 zones and the bottom polyfoam Octaspring layer is a single firmness level then it would also have a total of 8 zones (the same as the 8000).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: dormeo.co.uk/octaspring-range/luxury-octaspring-mattresses/octaspring-9503.html

Zoning systems can sometimes be useful and worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else with any certainty because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Unfortunately the specs you listed don’t include the density of each of the foam layers in the mattresses and without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality/durability and useful life of the mattress or identify any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern (regardless of how the mattress feels when it is still new). I would always make sure that you find out all the information you need to know about the quality and durability of all the materials and components in any mattress you are considering before making any purchase.

Other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful but I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because most consumers have little knowledge about mattresses and mattress materials or how to assess the quality or durability of the materials in a mattress and any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

A forum search on Octaspring (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about the Octaspring mattresses as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

Thanks for getting back to me and the links to the various articles, most of which you’ve posted in response to every new post I’ve made! I’ve read all of these, and the various tutorials on this site. I still find it very confusing though things are becoming clearer as I go. In terms of PPP, my problem is that I don’t have a partner to comment on the alignment of my spine when shop testing any mattress, and there aren’t that many retailers near where I live. So I’m having to rely more on the feel either n store or preferably after sleeping on them for a while.

I’m a lightweight side sleeper, 5’11" and 131.4lbs. The advice I’ve had to go for soft to medium mattress, but these have given me back ach in the past, so I’m looking for something slightly firmer. In terms of how much I sink in, it’s never more than about two inches at the hips, I’m skinny and small boned, not curvy. Even on a firm mattress I find it hard to slip a hand under the curve of my back. One thing that strikes me when laying on many sprung mattresses is that I get the feeling that the springs are hardly coming in to play at all, the work is being done mostly by the comfort layers. Maybe I’m wrong and the springs are subtly at work, but I often wonder what the point of a 10" deep one sided mattress is when just the top few inches seem to be utilised?

I might be wrong, but it looks like the top layer of Octosprings in these mattresses works at bit more like the intermediary layer in other mattresses. So I’m willing at least to give it a go. The zoning thing worries me though, I’ve read the threads and not sure if this is a help or a hindrance to me. Five seems like overkill, eight is just marketing!

Regarding the materials, I thought in this thread and another that that these were “somewhat” known and relatively ok? I don’t think the two mattresses I’m looking are here are vastly different to the ones on offer elsewhere.

Hi paddyb,

I have a group of several hundred reference posts that I’ve developed and edited over the years which I use to reply to the more common questions that are asked in the forum so I usually take the “better safe than sorry” approach and link them again if they are relevant to the questions you’re asking because I’d rather post them again than not at all :slight_smile:

Testing for PPP (particularly with alignment) is normally a combination of “eyeballs” and listening to what your body is telling you when you lie on a mattress (completely relaxed) and in most cases a knowledgeable retailer can help with the “eyeball” part to tell you if you are obviously out of alignment on a mattress but I would also keep in mind that nobody sleeps with their spine perfectly straight (like a ruler) in all their sleeping positions so as long as your alignment is “close enough” and you are able to sleep without any pain or discomfort and there is only slight “bending” in the spine that doesn’t produce any pain or discomfort that your alignment will likely be fine.

If you are are more sensitive than most to spinal alignment and are more towards the “princess and the pea” than the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range or if for any reason you aren’t confident that a mattress will be a suitable “match” for you in terms of PPP then the return or exchange policy would become a more important part of reducing risk and the “value” of a mattress purchase just in case your mattress doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it.

All the layers and components in a mattress will affect the “feel” and performance of all the other layers both above and below it so what you feel on a mattress is a combination of the “feel” and firmness and properties of all the layers … not just specific layers or components so any mattress that uses a different combination of materials and components will be different from another mattress.

All the layers and components of a mattress also compress simultaneously (one doesn’t start compressing when the ones above it are “finished” compressing) but they each compress to a different degree or percentage of their thickness based on their firmness level, thickness, what is above them, and how deep they are inside the mattress. Softer layers compress more than firmer layers, thicker layers compress more than thinner layers, all layers compress less when there are thicker or firmer layers above them, and upper layers compress more than deeper layers.

How much you sink into a mattress isn’t particularly important as long as your alignment is “good enough”. Spinal alignment has more to do with how evenly you sink in rather than how deeply you sink in to a mattress. Post #6 here has some comments that may help you visualize what good alignment “looks like”.

Again the only way to know whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience.

While it’s probably more information than you need … there is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be helpful as well. The middle layers in a mattress can act more as a “primary support” layer for someone that is lighter and act more as a “comfort layer” for someone that is heavier.

Manufacturers can change their materials over time and they may also be different in different countries so I would always make sure that you know all the information here and confirm the quality/density of all the memory foam or polyfoam layers in a mattress that you are considering because assuming that they are “OK” based on previous information can be risky.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix, I’ll have a look at the additional info.

From what I’ve told you about my height, weight & sleeping style, does the Mistral sound like a good candidate for me, or am I way off course choosing this?

Hi paddyb,

In terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP you would be in a better position to tell me this than I would be to tell you. The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball that can predict which specific mattress or combination of materials you will like best or that you will sleep best on with any certainty based on specs or “theory at a distance” and I would be very skeptical of anyone who claims that they do because it just doesn’t exist.

When you can’t test a mattress in person (or if you would like some preliminary suggestions about whether a particular mattress may be a suitable candidate) then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

I purchased a Dormeo mattress 3 wks ago. At first it was wonderful and then I started to feel lumps like fingers poking me around the waist area. As the weeks progressed the lumps have turned to bars in several areas that poke my body. I have fibromyalgia so sleeping is hell since all my trigger points are being pushed causing pain. I wake up every day with a sore back and hips. I’m a side sleeper and sometimes on the back . Even thought the mattress isn’t sagging it feels like the far side is higher when I lie there. I wanted to share this with you. I asked someone else to lie on the bed and they did not like the feel of the mattress. It is also a very warm mattress.

I just got rid of my 8500 after 18 months, it is terrible, vastly ovepriced and over hyped. While it may work for some, the zoning is bad. Mine ended up with a head part which never broke in as it was too firm,neither did the hip part but the softer shoulder part got softer and softer so the bottom of my neck was cricked with the top of my head on an upward slope ad all my weight into that one shoulder. I had headaches and neckaches every day.No pillow ever worked on it and I tried every type you could think of. You could visably see indentations all over, some parts higher some lower. I see others now complaining of the same thing and that the upper thin layer of memory foam has split as well. I didn’t claim on the warranty because quite frankly I didn’t want another one it was so bad. I could never get into a comfy position and I was so restless, I was waking 30 times a night on it. The first 3 months were good but that was it.

Hi Tanzanite.

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback.

You are certainly having your share of challenges in finding a suitable mattress (see your other topic here and my reply) and I’m sorry to hear that your Dormeo mattress was another in a long list of mattress that hasn’t worked out as well as you hoped for.

For the sake of others that are reading this … I think that the issue with your mattress may not be as much about a poor design or zoning (because this is relative to the specific needs and preferences of the person on the mattress) but because it just wasn’t a suitable “match” for you and some of the health challenges you are facing (although if the memory foam layer has split then it would probably be a defect and would most likely qualify for a warranty replacement).

Each person is unique and a mattress that is a perfect “match” for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on.

Phoenix

My experience is somewhat similar to Manitoba’s with the feeling of something digging in to me. I think it might be where there are gaps between the octosprings, perhaps indicating that the top layer of foam is too thin?

I solved this somewhat by adding a memory foam topper, but then it felt a bit too soft and I started to get back aches. After a week, it’s starting to feel a bit better, but after reading these last two posts I have decided to return it with the 60 day guarantee. They didn’t make too much fuss when I phoned them to request this, they even said I could keep the pillows!

I think there is some mileage in the octopspring idea, it perhaps needs some more refining or perhaps just wasn’t right for me. The mattress had quite a unique feel to it, nothing like a sprung mattress at all, but was different to the foam mattresses I’ve tried, much more of an impression of the support action working through the whole depth of the mattress.

The quest continues…

Hi paddyb,

[quote]perhaps indicating that the top layer of foam is too thin?

I think there is some mileage in the octopspring idea, it perhaps needs some more refining or perhaps just wasn’t right for me[/quote]

All the layers and components in a mattress will have some effect on the feel and performance of all the other layers above and below it and on the mattress “as a whole”. While the top layer may have been too thin “for you” and the mattress may not have been a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences) … it’s very likely that others that are in a different weight range or have a different sleeping style or that are more or less sensitive to specific materials and components in a mattress may have very different opinions.

Regardless of the specific design of a mattress … a mattress may be “perfect” for some people and may be completely unsuitable for others to sleep on. The only thing that can be said with any certainty about the Dormeo design would be that the specific Dormeo mattress you own doesn’t seem to be a good “match” for either of you.

Phoenix

Hi phoenix,

Just bought a Dormeo, it will be delivered next week. The salesman said this is a whole new line, with the others from last year being discontinued. Our model is aDX220. On their website their is nothing like that. The dimensions are not like any on their website. Have you heard of this new line? The salesman said they just got them 30 days ago. I’m hoping it’s not going to be too hard.

Hi Msabq323,

As you mentioned there isn’t any information on their site about their DX220 mattress.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Hopefully you had the chance to do some careful testing on the mattress (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that it’s a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP but if you didn’t have the chance to test the mattress in person or if for any reason you aren’t confident about whether it would be a suitable choice in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP then I would always make sure that you are comfortable with the options you have after a purchase to exchange the mattress or return it for a refund (and any costs involved) just in case the choice you made doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

I also hope that you were able to find out all the information you need to make an informed choice about the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress and confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

A good retailer should be able to provide you with all the information you need to know about the type and quality of the materials and components in any mattress they sell so if you can find out the information in this article about the mattress specifications you need to know that I linked earlier in this reply and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and components in the mattress and the mattress “as a whole”.

Without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about a mattress or to assess whether the mattress is likely to maintain the comfort and support that is the reason you purchased it over a reasonable period of time.

Phoenix