Dormeo Octaspring mattress

Hi mojowomyn,

Of course that’s always one of the challenges when it comes to each person’s personal value equation but for me it would need to be significantly “better” in one way or another from other memory foam mattresses that used similar quality materials (but in a much different design) in lower budget ranges. There isn’t a “price” you can attach for comfort or performance that clearly works better for you than something else but there can certainly be an extra cost for a mattress where the benefits of the design or the story attached to it don’t translate into improved feel or performance that you can clearly distinguish and identify.

I’m looking forward to your ongoing feedback along the way.

Phoenix

I am new to this outstanding website. Thank you for this service.

I probably should start a new thread, but I came into this site leaning toward buying a King Octaspring 9500 and I that has not changed much, except I wish I lived closer than 2 hours to the city. I live in SE Kansas, so we are 2 hours from Wichita, Tulsa, KC, or Springfield. (We do have Edna Mattress Factory 20 miles away :slight_smile: )

I am 42 healthy 6’1" 190# marathon runner. My wife is 41 5’8" 135 (except she is 6 months pregnant and obviously bigger now) She is having a terrible time sleeping with hip pain, as she must sleep on her side not her normal back. I am a stomach sleeper.

We have an 8 year old Simmons Beauty Rest (“the same mattress that they used at the Westin” :slight_smile: Its time for a new mattress. I have used a Tempur pillow for 15 years, but have always been scared of memory foam because of the heat. Then one year ago I ran across the YuMe memory foam, which has an option which can heat/cool ± 10 degrees to room temperature. I have been following them since then, and noticed they are coming out with their next version (475, 575, 675) right now.

I was in the city, and talked to a guy I know at the Mattress Firm. They are the exclusive distributor of YuMe. So after reading this site I am probably not going that direction.

But Mattress Firm in Wichita aslo has Octaspring. Their Corporate stores do not carry it. This apparently is a franchise store.

My wife laid on every mattress there, and she liked it the best. Getting on here today and reading the limited info, it appears its pretty positive. Money for me is not an issue. I want my wife to be comfortable. But if there is something else we need to try, please let me know. Its just hard for us to get away with our other 3 kids activities (yes all 14 years old). We need to pull the trigger soon.

We also think we want to get a King with the adjustable base.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Hi odrunr,

Just in case you haven’t read it … the first place I would start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need along with links to some of the more important forum posts that can help you make the best possible choices.

As you will see … I would also suggest avoiding any of the chain stores such as Mattress Firm. At the very least I would make sure you can find out the specifics of all the layers in any mattress you are considering before making a completely blind purchase where the odds are high that you would either be purchasing a mattress with lower quality materials or a mattress that has poor value compared to many other similar options that are available to you. You can see some comments about the YuMe mattress in post #2 here. I believe the prices for the YuMe mattresses are rather outrageous.

I would also take some of the claims you are mentioning and the marketing information you are being told with extreme skepticism and a big grain of salt.

I would also consider buying a mattress for your “regular” needs (with her back sleeping) and then either adding a topper for the extra pressure relief your wife will need while she is pregnant because you will have the mattress for much longer than she is pregnant and it’s not really possible to “fix” a mattress that is too soft without removing and replacing materials. You can remove the topper after she has the baby if she no longer needs the extra pressure relief. I would also consider using a body pillow or a pregnancy pillow while she is pregnant to improve both comfort and support during the more “awkward” staqes of pregnancy. Back sleepers generally need thinner or firmer comfort layers than side sleepers and stomach sleepers generally need thinner/firmer comfort layers yet to avoid the risk of sleeping wit the spine out of alignment. I would also avoid memory foam if you plan to have the baby sleep on your mattress because it is too movement restrictive and too soft for babies and young children IMO.

I would also not translate higher cost as meaning a more suitable mattress and I would make sure that you don’t buy any mattress where the type or quality of the materials inside it is unknown regardless of the “story” attached to it. Again … I would particularly avoid the YuMe mattress unless you are able to find out all the detailed specs and there is a compelling reason that for some reason justifies their prices for what are basically memory foam and polyfoam layers of unknown density. If they can provide the specs but don’t know what they mean you are welcome to post them here and I’d be happy to make some further comments.

You can read a little more about various ways that can be used to cool down memory foam in post #6 here and more about the many factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here.

You can read more about adjustable bases and some online stores that are good for pricing references in the adjustable bed thread here.

I’m not sure exactly where you are but some of the options listed in post #4 here may also be within reasonable diving distance and worth calling and/or visiting.

Phoenix

Phoenix: I belong to several message board and even moderate one myself. I have never seen someone as good and generous with information as yourself. Thank you!!!

What about the Octaspring? Its seems that what I have read on here from you and others the returns are relatively favorable??

Thank you so much, the YuMe thing had me hook, line, and sinker. So glad I found this site.

Hi odrunr,

Thanks again for the kind words :slight_smile:

Some of my thoughts about the Octaspring are in post #2 earlier in this thread.

With the exception of the top 2" layer which is in a lower density range … they use good quality materials and are transparent about what they use. From a materials point of view they are also not great value and IMO its “value” would be based more on its uniqueness than on the materials in the mattress. I would have a hard time justifying the premium price unless the benefits of the specific design was so much better than anything else you tested that you strongly believed that it was worth the premium price you would be paying.

I’m not quite sure what you mean here but if you are referring to Mattress Firm’s return policy then they provide a full refund within 100 days less what they call “transportation” changes which is probably the original delivery charge and you would be responsible for any charges involved with returning the mattress. I would call this relatively favorable compared to other mattress purchases that don’t have any refund policy at all or that have higher costs or fees involved for returns.

Phoenix

Hi odrunr,

I did a web search and made a few calls around Coffeyville (it’s about 20 miles away from Edna so I assumed that’s close to where you are) and I’m including the stores in the area that I would focus on if you are looking to purchase more locally. I’ve also included the brands they carry that I would include in your research. The basis for listing the stores and brands I do is that they are more transparent about the materials and components in their mattresses so your odds would be higher of being able to find out the specifics of what is in the mattresses they make. this way if it “fits” your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then they should also be able to call the factory to find out the specs so that can tell you about the quality of the materials as well.

Most stores will only tell you to test a mattress for “comfort” but have little idea of how to validate the quality/durability of the mattresses they carry so by focusing on stores and brands where the odds are higher of being able to find out the details of all the materials in the mattress you can also make sure that the mattress has no obvious “weak links” that will soften or break down much too quickly.

http://www.ednamattress.net/ Edna, KS. They are a local factory direct manufacturer and these are generally the best source of quality and value for a mattress. They appear to make latex and innerspring mattresses and can custom build. Local factories also tend to be much more open about the materials they use in their mattresses and focus more on educating their customers about mattresses and materials than “selling” them.

http://cooper-herringtonfurniture.com/ Bartlesville, OK. They carry Restonic which makes a wide range of mattresses that are often better quality/value than larger brands but I didn’t have a chance to talk with them so I’m not sure what types of mattresses they have on their floor or their willingness to call the factory to find out the specs of their mattresses. Restonic is a licensee group and some of their factories are more open than others about disclosing the materials they use in their mattresses. You can see some comments about them in post #5 here and I would be somewhat cautious here.

http://www.bobloftisfurnitureloft.com/locations Bartlesville, McAlester, Sapulpa, Muskogee, Grove, Holdenville, OK. They carry Sleeptronic and Sleep Designs both of which are smaller regional wholesale manufacturers that would be more open about their mattresses. They toldme that they would call the factory if they didn’t have the specs about any of these mattresses.

Westco Home | Furniture, Mattress, and Appliance Store in Miami, Pittsburg, Neosho, Grove, Vinita, Chanute, Parsons, Monett, Cassville, Iola, Columbus Dewey, OK., Parsons, KS. and others. Carries Eclipse made by Sleep Designs. They carry some latex hybrids as well as memory foam and microcoils and they also told me (in Dewey) that they would call the factory to find out any information their customers needed. Eclipse is another mid size manufacturer that is more open about the materials they use in their mattresses.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/leslie-mattress-factory-miami Miami, OK. I haven’t been able to reach them on the phone so I don’t know what they carry or if they still manufacture mattresses. They would be worth a phone call to see what type of mattresses they make and a little more about them but I’m including them as a possibility that also needs further research.

Once again … outside of testing a mattress for PPP one of the most important parts of a mattress purchase is making sure that you know all the details of what is inside it. If you find out the specs and the store doesn’t have the knowledge to “translate” them for you then feel free to list them here and I’d be happy to make some comments about them or help you identify any weak links or lower quality materials in the mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you. I am in Parsons and there is a Westco here. Sell cheap to moderate furniture. They also sell several brands of mattresses but I was not sure which “brands” were ones to look at.

Again, thank you so much. I need to learn about Latex mattresses. Innerspring and Memory foam I get, latex I do not. I think of latex I think of hot, sticky and sweaty. :slight_smile:

Hi odrunr,

As you know from the site a mattress is only as good as its construction and the materials inside it but unfortunately most retailers have very little knowledge about the quality of the materials in their mattresses or in many cases even how to tell. The few that do are among the exceptions in the industry … even though outside of the comfort and support of a mattress it’s one of the most important parts of making an informed choice.

The retailers and “brands” I list are based on the likelihood of being able to find out the information you need … but the good news is that I have talked with the owner of Eclipse and Eastman House (who also manufactures Therapedic in some regions of the country) and they will provide this information to their retailers so it’s really a matter of whether the retailer will take the time to find out for their customers.

I’m looking forward to your feedback from a visit to Westco and any of the other options you visit … and of course feel free to post any questions you have along the way.

You can read more about latex here but in general it is the most durable and the most breathable (coolest) of all the foam materials (polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam). You can also read more about all the factors that contribute to the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here

Phoenix

I visited Westco today and they did have eclipse mattresses on the floor. The lady however was not very knowledgeable at all. Very disappointing.

I am still have the Octaspring 9500 as my number one choice as it is the most comfortable bed my wife and I have ever laid upon. But the price has gotten me into researching and finding this awesome site.

Apparently the “exclusive” dealing for Octaspring in the US is Mattress Firm. Again I was looking at the YuMe for the past year (to the day) but after reading on here dropped that option.

Here is what I found out today. The adjustable base on the Octospring is the Dormea Adjustable which is an LP adjustable. Not exactly sure what model, but it does not have Zero G on one, has one memory position. Has message. Mattress firm retails the base for $2500.

Also the Octaspring 9500 is modeled after the Tempur Cloud Lux.

After reading the Atlantic Beds site, their comparable SPLIT KING mattress is 4399 (with LP base). Although I think if I bought Atlantic I would buy their Bliss.

Reading about bases, its seems the LP might not be as good? I wish the Zero G and other options.

I am getting closer but need more focus and information.

Hi odrunr,

I’m not sure who told you this but a quick google search on Octaspring will bring up many other dealers that carry them and they also have a retail store finder on their site here.

I’m not sure which model this is or what size you are referring to but this certainly seems much more costly than many other adjustable beds with better features and a much lower cost. If this is the cost you would have to pay I would buy the mattress and adjustable bed separately (see the adjustable bed thread here).

I’m not sure who told you this either but I would very much doubt what you are being told … even though they may have a similar “feel”.

If you are planning to buy both a mattress and an adjustable bed … I would look at each separately to make sure you are making meaningful mattress to mattress comparisons and bed to bed comparisons. There is no meaningful reason to buy the base at the same place as you buy the mattress unless the value of the base is better than would be available to you elsewhere. None of the adjustable bases will make any difference in how your sleeping system “feels”.

Phoenix

The Mattress Firm Sales persons told me they had a deal with Octaspring in the US.

The same sales person told me this. I am looking to buy a Split King and trying (of course) to buy they best Adjustable with the quietest motor and the appropriate options I can for the money. I thought that price seemed high. I called back and he was not sure which LP model but thought it was called “The performance custom choice collection” I could not find that anywhere. I know it does not have Zero G option.

This same sales Rep, is the one told me the Octaspring 9500 is modeled after the Tempur Cloud Luxe.

I cannot make this stuff up :slight_smile:

I know for a fact I want an adjustable base. It seems these are pretty cut and dry. Which one is best for Split King? Quiet Zero G etc?

I have to get my focus off this Octapring but I hope someone on here can chime in and tell me they were looking at the 9500 and went with something else and are happy.

Hi odrunr,

For me … an adjustable bed is more of a commodity than a mattress (where “fitting” the mattress to your needs and preferences is a major part of the choice) and they all perform the same basic function which is to raise and lower the head and foot. Almost all the adjustables you will come across are made by either Leggett & Platt, Reverie, or Erogomotion and all of them are well made IMO.

I would make the choice based on the features that are most important to you but I think one of the most important for us was the wall hugger feature (to keep you close to the bedside table when you raise and lower the head of the bed). I also like the wireless remote. I tested the massage features and at the time this seemed to be great (and when I tested them the Reverie seemed to have the strongest massage) but we use this feature a lot less than we thought we would … and its noisy. The higher angle of the head was also a consideration for us. I personally wouldn’t differentiate the brands as much as the specific features.

If you buy a mattress and an adjustable bed together I would evaluate each as a separate component because there really is no advantage to buying them together unless the price you pay is reduced compared to buying them separately. One adjustable won’t change the feel or performance of your mattress compared to any other.

Phoenix

I agree. Not I am trying to find the best adjustable base for the best price. The base (thanks to this site) is the easy part.

I am still leaning toward an Octaspring. Can you check with your source about the claims the Octaspring is modeled after ( i assume in terms of comfort? to the Tempur Cloud Lux?

Hi odrunr,

The Dormeo is a completely different design and construction than the Cloud Luxe so it certainly wouldn’t be “modeled” on a Tempurpedic although by “coincidence” it may feel similar to the Cloud Luxe to some people.

I did call Dormeo and they had never heard of such a thing and had no idea what the salesperson would have been referring to.

Phoenix

Again shifting my focus thanks to this site. Now looking Latex ---- now looking toward the Pure Latex Bliss or comparable.

While I agree with the bulk of what Phoenix says about the quality of the bases, some retailers offer additional discounts for buying mattress and adjustable base together over buying them separately.

They may have a regional deal. For example, in Louisville KY Sleep Outfitters carries Octaspring but Mattress Firm does not.

Zero G is a memory position. If your adjustable base has programmable memory positions, you can create a zero G position whether or not it says zero g on the button. I would consider an adjustable base with programmable memory positions to be better than one without, if all other features are the same.

While both are soft, I’ve seen cutaways of both beds. The structure is very different.

Hi demackison,

That’s certainly true and an additional discount could be a good reason to buy them both together at the same place as long as an apples to apples comparison for the set was good value compared to other options they had available. If you take the best available cost of the adjustable base at other retailers and then deduct it from the cost of the set you would have a good reference point for the cost of the mattress to make meaningful “value” comparisons with other mattresses.

I agree with this as well. There is more about the zero G position in post #18 here and as you mentioned there are several adjustable beds (such as the Leggett & Platt Prodigy) that allow the user to program their own Zero G position.

The design of the Octaspring 9500 is here and as you are mentioning a comparison with any of the Tempurpedic models would be very much an apples to oranges comparison outside of any purely accidental similarity in perceived softness. They are very different mattresses.

Phoenix

That is a very informative reply!

I was considering buying the Octaspring 6500 after a trip to Sleep Country Canada today.

Now I’m not so sure.

My issue is, I had a Novaform mattress for 2 years that is going back to Costco. I normally wouldn’t return something after that long but they will take it and I need to make a point. After the first 18 months I started to get a very sore back but it took 6 months to realize it was the mattress, after being away a number of times and not having a sore back in other beds. When I looked into it, the warranty is just a bunch of BS so Costco can deal with it (I confirmed they will take it back).

I love the memory foam concept but I’m a side-sleeper so I think I might have to rethink this. After doing so much reading though, it seems memory foam owners are generally much happier than coil bed owners.

Ugh.

Hi CHERYL,

I see you’ve posted in two of the Octaspring threads so you’ve probably read these but just in case you haven’t post #2 here has more thoughts and information about the Octaspring mattresses and a forum search on Octaspring (you can just click this) will bring up more as well.

I would be very cautious about making a mattress choice based on other peoples preferences (which can be very different from your own) or based on reviews … both of which can be one of the worst ways to choose a mattress (see post #13 here).

I would also be very cautious about believing that memory foam owners are happier than owners of a good quality innerspring mattress (or any other mattress that uses good quality materials for that matter). The industry is dominated by innerspring mattresses which use low quality materials above the springs which will soften and break down much too quickly and are the weak link of the mattress but there also are many smaller independent manufacturers across the country which use much higher quality materials above the innersprings (such as latex, memory foam, or higher density polyfoam) that don’t have the same durability issues and that people are very happy with. These kind of generalizations can be very misleading and some of the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry that are familiar with every type of material and component that is available in the industry prefer to sleep on an innerspring (although they all use high quality materials above it instead of the “junk foam” that is so common). Of course there are also others that prefer latex or memory foam mattresses as well and none of them would choose a mattress of any type which used low quality materials in the comfort layers (which are the first to break down).

I would make your choices based on your own careful and objective testing rather than the “marketing stories” that are so common in the industry.

Also in case you haven’t read it already … I would also make sure that you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix