Dormio Alternative

Wife and I are looking to replace our 10yr old memory foam mattress. I’m a 6’1" 215lb side/back sleeper. Wife is 5’1" 120lb side sleeper… We both prefer a plush pillow top comfort layer, and moderate to firm support/core layers. Zones would be nice, as well as the ability to change layers. Natural materials are important to us, but it doesn’t need to be “organic”… We are looking for king size latex & wool options for a max budget of $2500. Options we are looking at::

FoamSweetFoam 13" (soft/medium/firm/xtra firm)
Dormia (Melrose, Majestic, Lambert)

Ultimately we are trying to find the sweet spot of diminishing returns for this buy. I’m not looking to spend money on “bells & whistles” if they don’t do much for our sleep/comfort quality. We would like to buy during the Black Friday weekend.

We would be interesting in building our own if it saved significant cost and got us what we want. Thank you in advance for any advice / suggestions.

Hi OhioMattressShopper,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Component mattress systems using latex certainly are a way to meet your requirements. Many use cotton/wool in the cover as well, and it sounds like you’re also familiar with the difference that having an organic certification can make to the overall cost of a product, even though many component systems will use the exact same latex foams as some of their organic counterparts, at a substantial savings.

Many of the members listed in post #21 here offer the exact types of “no frills” mattresses you are considering, and they are very experienced in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. I did a quick check and many of them are also having Black Friday promotions. I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

If you’re attracted to the idea of building your own mattress, look at the different vendors in the component post here in the latex section. Some of these will be the same as the members I listed in my previous link, as they’ll often also sell components as well as completed mattresses. If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible, or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here). The best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

I’ll be interested to know what you end up deciding to pursue.

Phoenix