Douglas Bed Failed, Cancelled Simmons at Last Second, Where to Go?

I should also mention I have eye’d up both Nest and Ghostbed a bit I just appreciate the “family values” vibe SleepEZ has going for no matter how goofy that might be.

Couldn’t find an edit button on this forum :frowning:

Hey @jimlaheytpb, we’re sorry to hear that your Douglas doesn’t suit you and you find it to be too firm. If you’re interested, we offer softer mattress brands like Juno and Novosbed that are come with a 120-night sleep trial and a 15-year warranty.

Hi jimlaheytpb.

That’s all very exciting! It sounds like you had quite the mattress testing adventure and have narrowed it down to some wonderful options. I look forward to hearing how your call with SleepEZ goes. :slight_smile:

NikkiTMU

While it was quite the adventure it still feels like we have more on our plate than when we were blissfully ignorant and one day away from a bed :huh:

In talking we really are struggling to narrow it down from “The list of 4”

SleepEZ Hybrid 360 (pillowtop + coils + flippable)
At ~2000 CAD shipped this is the one I’m leaning towards, the coils worry me a bit in terms of motion transfer but the sleep country bed we were going to buy didn’t bother us too too much in this regard, the difference here being latex vs memory foam in terms of topper. This bed offers a zippable pillow top which would provide us the ability to swap out comfort layers while maintaining the integrity of the mattress as a whole. I like the ability to open the cover and swap stuff out if it isn’t working.

SleepEZ Roma (latex + pillowtop + customizable + filippable)
At ~1500 CAD shipped this is the biggest ‘budget’ mattress of the list, it is latex and provides the ability to flip for a more firm or less firm option. It can’t be opened, it doesn’t offer much other than a solid base for us. It has 1.5" of wool pillowtop on both sides which concerns me should it be too firm and we want to put a topper on, would this affect the feeling? I’m unsure, but I think likely. The biggest plus of this mattress is the price. It has 6" of latex.

SleepEZ Latex (latex + customizable + flippable)
At 9"~2150 - 13"~2700 CAD + Shipping this mattress is quite expensive, the biggest plus here are the customization in terms of comfort, the ability to swap out layers to try and suit the mattress to our needs in our own home really speaks to me in terms of value, but it is almost $1000 above my budget. While budgets are meant to be broken I just don’t know if I see the value in having a piece of Latex holding the bulk of me up vs a set of Springs. Perhaps someone here has some more input on the support it would provide. the 13" option would likely be the way to go as the 9" almost brings us to the Roma territory which would likely be the better buy if I started removing inches of latex. My wife asked “why do we need more latex? is there really that big of a difference between 13” and 7"?" honestly, I’m not sure either.

Swiss Dream Bed (latex + wood + wool + customizable)
At ~3000 CAD this is the most expensive mattress with likely the longest wait to sleep in it (1+mo). As I said earlier my wife loves this bed, but I find it quite firm, probably too firm, which would mean another cost in terms of adding more to the comfort layer. I am vary wary of this price point, I see it as “I get 4” of latex, a wool topper and some wood tied together for $3000"; I know there is more to it than that and I know the craftsmanship that goes in to the bed as I am a carpenter myself. I just feel like it isn’t enough. I think the idea is fantastic, I think the message is good, but aside from the “no metal bed, all natural, GMO free, etc, etc, etc,” (this stuff isn’t important to me like it is to others) I just struggle with the price tag. I will say that if this bed was $2000 we would have already purchased it.

I’m really struggling to narrow it down from here and would love to hear more information on Latex in terms of how thick it is. I did real the mattress guide but perhaps I’ve missed a section or skimmed something too hard.

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL

I just contacted SnugSleep from your first post and they said they no longer make mattress’ or toppers.

Hi jimlaheytpb.

Thanks for the update!

It looks like you’ve got quite the list and are in a battle between great, great, great, and great!

From what I gather, you:

• like the option to be able to swap out layers if needed (eliminating the Roma)
  • have questions about an all foam vs hybrid/innerspring option
  • want to know if there is ultimately a difference between a 7" and 13" mattress

You will get less motion transfer out of an all foam build, but you will lose the “traditional mattress feel” and “springiness” that many people like and prefer. A hybrid will also have a bit better breathability, meaning less concerns about mold and offering a slightly cooler sleeping experience.

With regards to thickness…generally, a 9" to 12" mattress would be more than enough for most people. There are benefits to a thicker mattress but this tends to be most relevant to people with a higher BMI.

The Swiss Dream Beds really are a beautiful product, but if you’re not absolutely thrilled/sold on the feel then I would say…it’s probably not the option to go, especially as you will then face the issue of “how do I find comfort on this bed” and then comes the searching-for-toppers-for-adequate-comfort saga. Best to buy a bed that gives you the support and comfort you need off the bat. As you’ve pointed out, it’s a large investment. And, to quote my dad, “if you don’t love it, don’t buy it.” They do offer a 5% discount to TMU members, for what that is worth.

NikkiTMU

Nikki your post really helped us out, but by asking I found some ‘secret’ information on the Roma, the king size and cal king size have a zippable cover. This has narrowed our search down considerably to the SleepEZ Roma and the Swiss Bed we simply cannot get out of our heads.

Concerns with SleepEZ, shipping. They offer no Canadian shipping options other than “we ship it to a company that will take it over the border”

Concerns with Swiss, the price, it’s too much and we will likely cut it due to this, maybe in 10 years we will be more comfortable buying it, hopefully they are around.

Side note, I have contacted 8 local latex places to inquire about prices just incase there is something comparable to the SleepEZ locally.

Hi again!

It’s great you were able to un"cover" that information on the Roma (okay, maybe that’s not as funny a pun as I thought it would be). That definitely makes a difference and allows you a little more flexibility in terms of adjusting layers.

It’s great you’ve been able to reach out to so many latex places in your area. I am curious to hear more about what you find out and if you find anything comparable already in the area!

NikkiTMU

If the border was open I would simply ship the SleepEZ mattress to a mailbox and save the $485 + Duty & Taxes quote I was just given on shipping it over the border.

Not good, and neither are the prices or California King options locally.

Predicament,

The only other comparable latex mattress seller is “Naturelle Organic Beds”. In forum searches there were questions raised but nothing more than “seems suspect” and “BBB rating is bad”

I’m wondering if the company is trustworthy as 3 extra inches of foam is the same price after shipping of the SleepEZ Roma.

Hi jimlaheytpb.

You’re not the first to question Naturelle, as seen on this page.

They clearly state that their latex is organic and that certifications are shown on their site. If they are using GOLS latex as stated the latex itself will have a sticker that says it’s GOLS Certified. Hope this helps!
NikkiTMU

Hello again TMU.

I visited North Shore Linens in Vancouver today met a fellow who sells a Sri Lankin Dunlop Latex mattress (6") at a reasonable $1300 CAD.

He also sells a 3" topper for $750

Medium and Soft respectively.

I still am a little wary of this price but it is one of the better I have found. There is no other mattress other than the Naturelle Lavender bed which offers 8" of latex for 1799 CAD. Which puts it about $500 cheaper.

While I’m not after the cheapest mattress I am after the best deal, I feel like if all latex is coming from 2 places there really won’t be a glaring difference in the feel of the mattress’

I’m going to sleep on this tonight but we may be going with the 6" medium latex mattress they sell at northshorelinens and then sourcing our own topper.

Still not sure, still want to find something better but getting warn out at this point.

We have ordered the 6" Medium Latex mattress from NorthShoreLinens who was recommended to us by SnugSleep, it is from Arpico latex and is some of the last of his stock from this source (I believe he is switching to LatexGreen)

Everything I read about Naturelle seemed questionable, I found the owner on Facebook seems like an oddball, his interaction with the late Phoenix on here seemed questionable, their reviews were questionable, they constantly change the name of their business, it is just something I’m not interested in right now. I will say they legitimately seem like the Latex Green USA’s primary Canada sales company.

We are now sourcing a topper, I found something almost $300 cheaper on Amazon from SleepOnLatex but there are some complaints about off gassing which have worried me a bit. I’m going to think about this one some more as saving $300 would actually put us right around our budget for the bed ($2000)

I’ve had no issue with the SOL dunlop latex myself so as long as you aren’t after talalay I wouldn’t worry about ordering that at all.

Also with shipping and the border closed I have been using a broker to bring stuff across still way cheaper than shipping it via Fedex/UPS/DHL. I just wait until I have a bunch of packages ready on the US side and then bring them across all at once with the broker. You just meet them on the other side and pay the bill by phone. Pretty simple process all things considered.

Again sorry for the double post (triple now), I wish this forum had an edit function.

I have now ordered 6" Arpico Latex Foam Mattress through NorthShoreLinens and a 3" soft topper w/ cover from Amazon.ca (through SleepOnLatex), the reason for this is the price difference of $350 from NorthShoreLinens, I just couldn’t eat that much of a difference unfortunately.

My biggest worry now are the reviews for SleepOnLatex’s topper off gassing terribly, I feel it shouldn’t as it is supposed to be 100% natural GOLS latex, but I have no experience with latex gassing. Canadians have also reported paying over $100 to return the topper to SleepOnLatex, though Amazon in the past has been very good to me with returns.

Should the above happen I will immediately buy the topper from NorthShoreLinens and somehow manage the added costs.

All in all I’m happy, we have 9" of latex on the way, though they will not be housed in the same cotton cover that isn’t a huge issue we reached our goal of a 100% latex mattress at under $2000 CAD. I will update this thread as time goes on.

One thing I will say is buying a mattress, especially a Cal King, especially in Canada and especially Latex is an absolute %&(!$&@!ing nightmare. I have spent close to 20 hours on this purchase which is less than time I’ve spent renting my houses in the past. It is absolutely crazy how cutthroat the market is and it makes me want to start making mattress’ myself (I know I won’t do this but the feeling I get is that I can do this better)

If anyone wants to comment on the off gassing of SleepOnLatex or other Latex I’d be very interested in hearing it as we are pretty worried about that. Hell if SleepOnLatex is on here I’d love to hear from them.

Shoutout to @NikkiTMU for the help throughout this.

Thank you for your response MattreBuild I did not see this until now (that edit button strikes again)

I would be interested in knowing the cost of the broker? The best price I could find was insanely high but perhaps I was searching for the wrong thing. This is the only reason we didn’t go with SleepEZ and it would be very unfortunate to hear that we have just placed an order for something we easily could have gotten from the US for cheaper.

I’ve purchased latex toppers and mattresses from Sleep On Latex and haven’t experienced any significant issues with off gassing from the latex. While it has a rubber like scent when new that dissipates over time, it’s nothing like the strong chemical off gassing I’ve experienced from memory foams which gives me migraine headaches. The covers that SoL uses for their mattresses (not the topper covers) incorporate wool which sometimes has an odor which I found to be unpleasant. The wool they use has a farm like scent which seems to vary by batch due to natural differences in the wool itself and their processing. Of course we all have different sensitivities so YMMV would seem to apply here.

• Bill

[quote=“jimlaheytpb” post=87994]Thank you for your response MattreBuild I did not see this until now (that edit button strikes again)

I would be interested in knowing the cost of the broker? The best price I could find was insanely high but perhaps I was searching for the wrong thing. This is the only reason we didn’t go with SleepEZ and it would be very unfortunate to hear that we have just placed an order for something we easily could have gotten from the US for cheaper.[/quote]

Sorry I didn’t see your comment sooner but this may help later even if you don’t use it on this purchase. I use Derringer as a broker which you seem to have out there by BC as well (broker should be able to pick items up for you from a package mailbox if they aren’t one themselves). Last shipment I had was around $4500 USD worth of stuff and the brokerage charges including all fees was around $230 USD (this does not include any duties or sales taxes on the value of the items you would have to pay at the border if you brought it over yourself). Keep in mind that shipping costs are not calculated as part of the value of the item but any state sales taxes are. USMCA (used to be called NAFTA) still excludes duty on almost all items made in the US/Canada/Mexico so those will likely be very small if any. There’s some base (minimum) fees when using brokerages so economy of scale is your friend when using them. Also this was all personal stuff not for a business or anything like that so the process and costs may be different when going that route. They just bring it to the other side of the border and you need to meet them to load and bring it all home. If they need to transport it further than that, you will get charged for delivery mileage which can get quite expensive for sure. Most brokers make at least one trip across per day so it’s not a big deal to change dates for meeting them.

That makes alot of sense since wool is very oily (has lanolin, it’s why it insulates well even when wet). It could likely carry quite a bit of animal scent if not cleaned perfectly as you suggested or perhaps even if it was left there deliberately to maintain some sort of Eco/Organic branding or marketing standard. Like you said there’s a very tiny bit of rubbery smell if you shove your nose right into the SOL foam or smell your hands after muscling the layers around but my wife has never said a word about our mattress and she’s pretty sensitive to that stuff.

Were still waiting for the mattress, expect to see it Friday.

One thing that has started to worry me a bit is the owner of Northshorelinens repeats that the mattress is made is Sri Lanka, every time I have asked the mattress’ source it is Sri Lanka. He also stated the mattress order he made has a cutting fee to make a California king, which is fine but where is that happening? Sri Lanka. Some questions I neglected to ask include ‘why does the cover say made in Canada if the mattress is made in Sri Lanka?’ ‘Why is the mattress being shipped uncompressed if the source is Sri Lanka?’

I’m getting vibes of ‘we ordered a king size mattress from Sri Lanka and are going to cut it somewhere locally in order to make a calking’ which brings up it’s own sets of concerns for me.

I’m a bit worried I rushed to trust.

As for border shipments the above makes sense as I rarely ship cross border I would never be able to amass an order that large with a broker and their minimums are literally all over $100.

Progress. The topper has arrived, the cover is still on the way but we Jerry rigged some sheets and managed to get it on top of our douglas bed.

It definitely helps, we slept ok last night, the topper helps support us for sure, looking forward to the base though.

One complaint about it is the heat. I slept very very hot last night, hotter than I have in a long time. I’m worried the gel foam does a better job of cooling that the latex. I’m hoping the cover helps with the heat issue.

Smell was non existent to me, minor at worst. Girlfriend said the room smelled like balloons and wasnt a big issue for her either.

Excited for the delivery of the mattress and will continue to update about the heat problem.

I just had the worst sleep I’ve had in ages. I cant explain how infinitely disappointed I am with my purchase.

I have a 6" medium latex and a 3" soft topper. It feels like sleeping on a gymnastics floor. The bed I so unbelievably firm and literally the opposite of what I want, I have no idea where I went wrong but I’m absolutely choked. We hit our mx budget and now have a bed we hate even more. We have no way of returning or refunding anything. To put it bluntly I feel totally fucked.

We are going to buy another topper (the absolute cheapest thing we can find) (50$) in the desperate hope of salvaging my sanity and my back.

What a colossally disappointing experience this has been. At this point I would have much rather slept on a shitty sleep country mattress for a few years before raging about how it didn’t last.

Sure I have a latex bed that will last 20 years, too bad I absolutely hate it.