Down to final 3 choices. Please help with technical specifications!

I’ve narrowed down my choices to these three, and the first two are my leading contenders:

Select Foam: Cirrus Supreme 11"
2" 4-lb. soy gel memory foam
2" 5.3-lb. soy gel memory foam support layer
7" 2.5-lb. HD soy foam core (got this last detail from a phone call to SF)
$1400

Brooklyn Bedding: Cool Supreme 11"
1.5" 4-lb. Gel Memory Foam
3" 5-lb. Memory Foam
6.5" 2.17-lb. BB HD Foam Core.
$1200

Brooklyn Bedding: PureCool Supreme 11"
1.5" PureCool 5-lb. Memory Foam
3" 4-lb. Gel Memory Foam,
6.5" 2.17-lb. BB HD Foam Core.
$1800

My question is how to interpret these spec’s. I read Phoenix’s comments in a previous post that said BB’s use of the more-expensive “PureCool” gel technology accounts for the difference in price between the two BB models. But what about the difference in price between the SF and the cheaper BB model? Obviously SF’s core layer is of higher quality at 2.5-lb. That’s getting near HR-level quality, right? And that should translate to a longer-lasting mattress in general, correct?

But I’m still a little unsure how to determine which mattress has the better-quality first-two layers (from the top going down). The BB model has its 5-lb. foam closer to the body (1.5 inches away); SF’s second layer is of higher quality at 5.3-lb. but it’s 2 inches away. Will that make much of a difference, or am I splitting hairs here? I’m not asking how they’ll “feel”, as I know that’s totally subjective at this point, but is one model generally indicative of higher quality?

Also, I’m a little confused as to why SF describes that second layer as a “support” layer, as I thought that the support layer was equivalent to the “core”–i.e. the layer that determines how much you “sink down” as opposed to “sinking in,” which as I understand it is determined by the comfort layer.

Hi colchao,

You are down to final choices between “good and good” which means that all of the mattresses you listed are good quality and value and none of them have any obvious weak links in terms of the quality of the materials.

Post #2 here can help you make final choices based on all the objective, subjective, and intangible criteria that are most important to you. There is no longer any “better and worse” choices … only choices that for your own personal reasons are more attractive to you. None of them would be a “mistake” in terms of quality or value but only you can decide which is best for you.

There are different types of “support” (primary and secondary support) and the different types and degrees of support in different areas of the mattress under different parts of the body are the means of accomplishing one of the goals of a mattress which is good spinal alignment. You can read a little more about both and the relationship between them and pressure relief and how the different layers of a mattress combine and interact to contribute to all of these in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thanks very much, Phoenix. I hadn’t seen those other threads that you linked to, and they definitely helped. I’m probably gonna go with the SF model. Looking forward to the process finally being over! This site has been a huge help. Thanks again for all the useful information.

Hi colchao,

I’m glad the site could help … and I’m looking forward to hearing about what you end up deciding.

Phoenix