Dreamfoam 12 in 1

Any opinions about combing the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 mattress with an 2 inch organic latex topper rated at 30 ILD to “construct” a low cost high quality sleep experience. Really don’t want to spend 2K on a mattress. Here’s the link to the topper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F49896O/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJ6G0OT6MN45P

Thanks

Hi Bharri45,

There would certainly be nothing inherently wrong with adding any topper to any mattress that was too firm for you as long as the topper was a good quality material (for durability) and as long as the combination was a suitable match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). A topper can be a good way to add softness and pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm for you but if a mattress by itself is already a good match for you in terms of PPP or is too soft for you then adding a topper wouldn’t be the best idea because the combination may no longer be suitable for you to sleep on.

You could also replace one of the layers in the 12 in 1 customizable mattress with a 3" latex layer in a suitable firmness and you would have a latex/polyfoam hybrid that used good quality materials and an extra polyfoam layer that you could use as a topper somewhere else. If you use a different layer thickness inside the mattress cover then it may be too loose and could shift.

If you are considering a mattress/topper combination that you haven’t tested in person then I would start with the mattress and then use your sleeping experience to decide on whether the mattress was too firm for you (in any particular configuration) and if it was then you can use your actual experience to decide on the type, thickness and firmness of the topper that would have the best chance of adding the additional softness and pressure relief that you need (see post #2 here) because regardless of the quality of the materials … if a mattress or a mattress/topper combination isn’t a good match for you in terms of PPP and you don’t sleep well on it then no matter what price you paid it would have little value to you.

The topper you are looking at is certainly a good quality material but it’s not organic (only 100% natural according to the description) and only your own sleeping experience can confirm whether it would be a suitable match for you with any specific mattress underneath it because the mattress underneath a topper will have a significant effect on how well the combination works for you.

Phoenix

Thank you for the extremely comprehensive reply, we are putting much consideration into researching our mattress purchase and this site has provided a wealth of information. MY primary dilemma is that I have issues with spending 2-3k on what is essentially a chunk of foam albeit a very essential piece of foam. We thought we could use the mattress somewhat as a less expensive foundation but then actually lay our bodies on the latex topper which would provide both the firmness we require and the natural barrier between us and the inorganic materials within the mattress. Perhaps we will search for an organic, firm latex topper.
Again, thank you.

Hi Bharri45,

I can certainly understand this but there are also some very good choices available for significantly less than 2-3K although your budget would also depend on the types of materials you prefer to have in your mattress.

The most effective approach with a mattress/topper combination would be to buy a mattress that is too firm by itself and then buy a topper with the right thickness and firmness that provides the comfort and pressure relief that you need. The challenge would be to be able to guess the type, thickness, and firmness of the topper that would be a good “match” for both you and the mattress because the firmness of the mattress can affect which topper would work best for you (both in terms of thickness and firmness) and choosing a suitable topper can be almost as difficult as choosing a suitable mattress (see post #2 here).

Post #2 here may also be worth reading which has more information about organic, natural, safe, and green materials so that you aren’t considering an organic topper and the extra costs involved in an organic certification when what you really want is a safe topper (all the materials in the 12 in 1 customizable for example are “safe” and the foam is CertiPur certified).

Phoenix

So… We’ve decided to go with the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex Mattress based on reading the links you’ve provided. The 3 inches of Dunlop Latex over the 2lb. Foam base sounds like a great deal for $799.00 minus an extra 10% this month.

How do we go about redeeming the "free pillow " offer for joining the site?

And sincere thanks for providing this service, I’ll be sure and come back and post a review of the mattress once we receive it.

Hi Bharri45,

All you have to do is call or email them to let them know you are a member of the forum :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress … as you know I think you made a great quality/value choice!

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Hi, I am considering the same mattress and am wondering where you saw the extra 10% off for this month. Thanks!

Hi kat2450,

You can see the details on their facebook page here.

Phoenix

THANKS! I really want the UD Latex mattress with Talalay instead of Dunlop and have emailed DreamFoam to see if it’s possible. If so, I’m going to order!

Hi kat2450,

The Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress (and their Ultimate Dreams Eurotop here) both come with Talalay already … not Dunlop.

Phoenix

I was interested in the wool barrier, so my question to them was, would it be possible to either get the UD Natural with Talalay or the UD with wool for an upcharge. I have read that the wool does a better job of dissipating heat, which is a big concern for my husband and me. Also, just like the idea of a more natural product.

Hi kat2450,

It will be interesting to see what they say. I would think that the chances of replacing the Dunlop with Talalay in the UD natural would probably be more likely if they would do either one at all but of course I don’t know either way.

Phoenix

FYI, according to Chuck, the UD Natural Latex Mattress ONLY comes with Dunlop. You cannot order this mattress with Talalay.

Hi kat2450,

That makes sense to me because that type of customization in effect turns one mattress into another one and would be unlikely in these lower budget ranges.

For those that wanted Talalay in their comfort layers then the Ultimate Dreams Latex would be their most likely choice. The Ultimate Dreams Eurotop would be the most likely choice for those that wanted Talalay and an exchangeable comfort layer and for those that wanted Talalay and wool along with an exchangeable comfort layer and a higher density base foam then the Bamboo Bliss from Brooklyn Bedding (Dreamfoam’s sister company) would probably be the most likely choice. There is more about the differences between the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop and the Bamboo Bliss in post #16 here).

Thanks for letting us know.

Phoenix

Thanks for all of your help, Phoenix. I had many questions for Chuck and we communicated by email and phone. So, like Bharri45, we decided to go with the Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex Mattress. Ordered the level 5 which is a cushion firm. Will post when it arrives. So far, a great experience with DreamFoam.

Hi kat2450,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m also looking forward to your feedback as well when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix