Dreamfoam 13 inch Ultimate Dreams memory mattress question

Hello. My wife and I are going to be in the market for a new bed soon. We will be upgrading from our currect queen to a king size. I personally like the feel of memory foam, but my wife, who grew up on a wavy water bed seems to find them too stiff whenever we try them out in a showroom. The only ones she has laid on that she liked were the ultra plush ones from Tempurpedic and the Serta iComfort. She actually thought the iComfort was better feeling/more plush than even the Tempur.

So I think I could convince her to go the memory foam route if it’s really plush. I on the other hand tend to gravitate towards the Tempur Cloud Supreme models…to me they are soft enough, with just a little more stiffness for support. But I could probably be ok with a more plush feel like she likes.

My question is that we are both heavy people…I come in close to 300 and she about 240. I am just curious what the longetivity of beds like this would be for us, and if this mattress really does feel like the more plush memory foam models from Tempur…the only kind she really liked. Thanks.

Hi bgaviator,

The length of time that a mattress will last for any particular person depends on many variables so there really isn’t any way to know how long any particular person will sleep well on a mattress before they cross the thresholds to just “sleeping OK” to “tolerating a mattress” to finally deciding to replace it. There is more about all the variables that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here.

Some of the variables include how close you are to the edge of the softness/firmness range of a mattress that would be suitable for you to sleep on (see post #2 here), the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress, your body type, and how sensitive you are to the effects of foam softening and breakdown. A mattress that lasts one person for only months may last someone else for years even if they have a similar body type.

Having said that … post #3 here and the posts it links to has some guidelines that may be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges. While the mattress you are considering would be a great quality/value choice for most people … I think that it would be a risky choice for you because it is so soft and because the density of the materials may not be the most durable choice for your body type.

Phoenix