Dreamfoam/Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Help

Hey guys.

I am purchasing a mattress from ultimate dreams/Brooklyn bedding and having trouble deciding which one to get. My options are:

1. Ultimate dreams Latex
  2. Ultimate dreams Natural Latex
  3. Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress

This is my first mattress purchase. Every other mattress I have used was handed down in my family. Of all the mattresses I have used, my favorite was a Mattress Factory Foam bed. Obviously, I am uninterested in coil spring mattresses.

Anyways, I have read great things about Brooklyn Bedding and each of the three mattresses above. I know a lot of it has to do with personal preference, but i’m looking for input…likes and dislikes about each respective bed. I was historically against memory foam since I am a really hot sleeper, but that issue seems to be resolved with this gel memory foam mattress. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have the Dreamfoam 13" gel memory foam mattress. This is a soft feeling bed, though supportive. I am < 175lbs, side sleeper. I would try out the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and see if you like it. The latex beds are a different feel altogether in that they are more “springy”. Also, I sleep hot too, and the Dreamfoam replaced another memory foam bed which slept hot.

You need to figure out what type you would like as this is a non-returnable product. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I’ll go try one out tonight!

Hi bwomp,

All your options are good ones and there are no “better or worse” choices here so while I can’t tell you what to buy because it’s a matter of personal preference that can only be decided by each person themselves, I may be able to tell you how to choose between them and decide which one best fits your value equation.

The first thing I would do is decide on your preference between two very different materials. Memory foam is a slow response material and latex is a fast response material with a very different feel. The most accurate way to tell the difference between them is to test both in a local store to see which one you prefer and there is also some information about the pros and cons of memory foam here and the pros and cons of latex here.

If you decide you like memory foam better … then your choice is easy because only one of the choices on your final list is memory foam.

If you decide you like latex better … then you have a choice between Dunlop latex with wool in the quilting (the Natural Latex option) and Talalay latex (with just the polyfoam in the quilting). These again would be a matter of personal preference between the two types of latex and the best way to choose between them is by testing both at a local store to see which you prefer. Outside of this you would need to decide based on the differences between them and which one you believe you would prefer. Your choice would depend on whether you prefer the feel of Talalay or Dunlop better (or whch one you think you would if you haven’t tried both of them) and/or how you feel about having wool in the quilting (it’s used for the fire barrier and also adds humidity control and temperature regulation to the mattress but Dunlop will have a slightly firmer feel than Talalay in the same ILD).

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

PS: I thought I had clicked “submit” after I wrote this earlier and hadn’t so I’ll add this to SleepTight’s comment’s which essentially says the same thing … in less words :slight_smile:

Phoenix,

I tried out a few Tempurpedic beds last night to get a feel for them, but have yet to try latex beds. Can you recommend any stores/mattresses I should visit/try? I live in 44022.

Thanks.

Hi bwomp,

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Cleveland area are in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix,

I’m curious if you know any local shops in southern Salt Lake City that would have similar options to the memory foam and latex options available from Dreamfoam to make a comparison. I’m relatively familiar with memory foam mattresses but at all with latex.

Thanks

Hi kedster,

R&S Mattress in Salt Lake City have mattresses that are made by Brooklyn Bedding (they are owned by Brooklyn Bedding). They would be somewhat similar but not the same as their Amazon mattresses. Some of the other Salt Lake city options listed in post #2 here would also have both types of mattresses available but you would need to call them to find out the specifics because I don’t know the details of what they all carry.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix,

Thanks very much for the help. I’ll check them out.