Dreamfoam Gel Mattress versus Latex

I am looking at both the Dreamfoam Gel 13-inch mattress and the 10-inch latex. Assuming comfort levels are the lame, why would I buy one over the other? Amazon has the foam density for the gel mattress listed, but not for the Latex, so that is also a concern. Thanks for your help!

Hi Brototype,

The density of memory foam or polyfoam is the most important factor in its quality/durability but with latex density is a comfort spec not a quality spec and knowing the density is unimportant. The way to compare latex is based on the type and blend of the latex (see this page). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but the 10" Ultimate Dreams latex hybrid uses blended Talalay latex in the comfort layers which is a high quality and durable material.

The choice between latex and memory foam would be based on preference because they are very different materials. There is more about how they compare in post #2 here but the best way to know which one you tend to prefer would be based on your own local testing and personal experience.

Phoenix

Thanks a bunch for your help! I’m at a loss as to where to test either of these types of mattresses. I saw the list for reliable vendors in Albuquerque, but do you know which ones carry these types? Thanks again!

Hi Brototype,

It’s unlikely that you would find a local mattress that is the same design as an online mattress because there are so many possible differences between mattresses and every difference between two different mattresses can have an effect on how they feel and compare in terms of PPP but there are many on the list that use Talalay latex in their mattresses which would give you a general sense of the “feel” of Talalay latex compared to memory foam. Denver mattress uses blended Talalay in their iChoice, Saachi Organics uses 100% natural Talalay, the Savvy Rest at Southwest Green Building Center has the option for 100% natural Talalay (along with Dunlop), and Pure Latex Bliss also uses blended Talalay in their mattresses.

Other than this you would need to call the other retailers to find out the specifics of what they carry on their floor.

Phoenix

So I tried out a Denver Mattress Late Memory Foam mattress today (I’m pretty sure that’s the model, the guy said it wasn’t pure latex) and I liked the firmness. I decided that I want the Dreamfoam Latex mattress, but I have no idea which firmness level to pick. Any thoughts?

Hi Brototype,

The Denver Mattress iChoice uses a “base mattress” that is mostly latex but it has two different options that you can choose for a topper. One is a latex topper and the other is a memory foam topper. If you tested the memory foam topper then it will be completely different from a mattress that has a latex comfort layer and wouldn’t be a useful reference point for choosing a latex mattress so I would make sure you test the latex topper to confirm that you like the “feel” of sleeping on latex. There is more about the differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here.

If you slept on the latex topper then you can use the information here as a reference point when you talk with Dreamfoam to decide on your firmness choice.

It may also be worthwhile testing other latex or latex hybrid mattresses that may be available in your area if they are willing or able to provide you with the information you would need to use them as a reference point as well but when you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the most effective approach to choosing the firmness level that is most likely to be suitable for you would be a more detailed conversation with Dreamfoam who can use the information you provide them to help “talk you through” your choices and who will know more about the different options they have and helping their customers match them with different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences “on average” than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix