Dreamfoam Latex vs Gel Foam, I Need a Mattress!

Hello All,

Good information on this site and I would like some additional input.

I was almost going to buy a mattress from The Brick at 50% off today, but after doing some quick research it seems Sealy and Serta mattresses should be avoided at all costs. I do not want to spend hard earned money on something that will have horrible sagging after only a couple months.

So after doing some additional research and reading on this site I found a few companies that look promising.

I ruled out Saatva after their inferior product quality and skeptical product reviews.

I am now getting closer to purchasing from Dreamfoam/Brooklyn Bedding. This is because it appears they have good quality products and they are within my budget (less than $1000 and Queen Size)

I am torn between the:
Latex:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Comfort/dp/B0051AQXZK/ref=sr_1_2?m=APCUWEOU23BHI&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1374253526&sr=1-2

and Gel Memory foam model:
https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Mattress-Ultimate-Dreams-13-Inch/dp/B0092UMVEW/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1373476974&sr=1-3&keywords=memory+foam

Can someone give me the most glaring comparisons between the two, and if I should even consider these? My main concern (aside from comfort) is durability.

*Side note: I have no problems buying something from the States. I live in Canada but very very close to the border and can pick up the product myself once shipped to a nearby US address. I am also aware of my own taxes I will have to pay (13%) and have factored that into my budget.

Thank you!

Hi EHLOU,

The choice between latex and memory foam would be based strictly on personal preference. You can see a comparison here but all comparisons between different materials have very subjective elements to them and I would strongly urge you to test both in person to make sure you are familiar with both materials and how they generally compare. Even though there is a wide range of different types and firmness levels of both memory foam and latex … they are very different from each other and each person can have very different preferences.

In strict durability terms … latex would be a more durable foam than memory foam but durability is also relative to each person and a mattress that lasts forever but isn’t suitable for someone in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) would have little value for that person. Post #4 here has more about the many factors involved in the durability or longevity of a mattress.

In terms of overall “material value” … you will generally find that all the mattresses made by the same manufacturer are in the same value range based on the cost of the materials (with higher priced mattresses often having a slightly higher margin) but of course value has many different components that are also relative to each person’s criteria and what I call their “personal value equation”.

Phoenix