DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress question

My husband and I are really interested in purchasing this bed on Amazon. Our first time trying out the ‘feel’ of a latex bed was when we went to a local retailer (Bob’s) looking for a more affordable mattress. We really loved the way that latex mattress felt, so I started to do research. Thanks to this site, I really feel comfortable about making this purchase.

Question: They are currently using 1.5lb of high density base foam instead of the 2.35lb they were using when some of the other forums on this bed were started, circa 2012. Please let me know if this will make a substantial difference on the durability of this mattress. Also, has anyone tried the firmness level of 3 or 4 and if so, is it too firm? My husband prefers firm, and I prefer a little more plush, although I have been experiencing some lower back pain, and I understand firm is better for this issue. However, I am a little concerned that it will be too firm to be comfortable.

Hi SAmone236,

I would be very cautious about using mattress reviews as a way to assess the quality or value of a mattress purchase (see post #13 here) and I believe they can be one of the worst ways to evaluate or choose a mattress. Almost all of them are written by people who have very little knowledge about mattresses, mattress materials, or what combination of materials would be appropriate for different budget ranges or different body types, sleeping positions, and someone else’s personal preferences. In the case of the particular review you are probably referring to it is particularly misleading (and the subject of frequent questions) and you can see my brief comments about the change in the first part of post #4 here, my much more detailed comments in post #14 here, and Dreamfoam’s comments about the change in post #4 here.

For most people in average weight ranges it would make little if any difference (the comfort layers are usually the weak link of a mattress not the support layers) but for those in a higher weight range that may sink into the base layers more deeply I would consider using a higher density base foam (such as some of the mattresses from their sister company Brooklyn Bedding).

Each person can have a very different perception of the same mattress depending on their body type, sleeping style, perceptions, sensitivity to the firmness of different layers (comfort or support layers), and personal preferences, so a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer is usually the most effective way to make a firmness choice (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). If you are still uncertain or uncomfortable with a specific choice after that then it may also be worthwhile considering one of their mattresses that has exchangeable layers so that you can change the firmness of your comfort layers after a purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the education. I just spoke with Chuck at Dreamfoam and he indicated that they have just added a new memory foam mattress to the line that should compare to the Tempur Rhapsody. It is called the Aria. It is available on Amazon currently but not yet on the Dreamfoam website. I am going to give this a try. Also it is unclear how to indicate that you are a member when you order from Dreamfoam. The Dreamfoam site takes you to amazon when you click buy. latex models have a ask chuck tab where you can enter info but memory foam mattresses do not. I am sure other forum members have run into this issue.
Thanks Again,
Jim G.

Hi jimgiblin,

Thanks for the heads up about their new mattress … I appreciate it!

Do you happen to know the densities of the foam layers?

Congratulations on your new mattress … and I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it since you are the first I know of that has ordered it :slight_smile:

All you need to do is let them know you are a member here either through email, calling them, (before, during, or immediately after an order) or adding a comment to the order itself.

As long as the mattress is fulfilled by Dreamfoam (nor Amazon) then you would receive the pillow bonus.

Phoenix