Dreamfoam new Arctic Dreams mattress similar to Tuft and Needle?

Hi themario.

I am glad I can be of help! :slight_smile:

I am looking forward to any updates you might have!

Hi. New member here. I’m planning on pulling the trigger on the Arctic Dreams mattress. Where is this promo code you speak of?

Thanks!

Hi JCB,

I am glad to hear that you decided on a good and quality product!

For the TMU discount once you go through with the mattress purchase at checkout Dreamfoambedding has a “Referred by” where you can select The Mattress Underground to receive it.
Let me know if there are any discount snags so that I can address that with them .

Once you receive your mattress and have a chance to sleep upon your mattress for a while I hope you can return and give us some updates.

Phoenix

I ordered Arctic Dreams as well - many thanks for the review. But I didn’t see any referred by at check out. Any idea how to get it? Thank you!

Hi th12isxy.

Congratulations on your Dreamfoam mattress purchase! ! :slight_smile:

As you certainly are aware, you chose something using high quality and durable materials from one of our site members which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality or their products, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Regarding the coupon from Dreamfoam.
I spoke with Mario at BB & Dreamfoam Bedding group and I confirmed that they are in the process of changing the system for coupon implementation at checkout. As the old system of user input was discontinued for a few days (and will be discontinued up to the end of the week) it resulted in your purchase being “caught” in this in-between phase. I appreciate you taking the time and making us aware of it.

To get the discount available for your purchase, please make sure to call Chuck at Dreamfoam and mention the arrangement for customers coming from The Mattress Underground to get the discount. (10% off, pillows & sheet)

I look forward to any updates you might have once you had a chance to sleep upon your new mattress.

Phoenix

Note: For the benefit of those reading this post and interested in taking advantage of the coupon system provided by either Dreamfoam or its sister company Brooklyn Bedding during the coupon implementation phase, keep in mind that the coupon will be reactivated sometimes next week. This will assure that consumers coming from The Mattress Underground receive the highest benefit or equal to any current sales or promotions that Dreamfoam or Brooklyn Bedding have to offer. Meanwhile we would appreciate if you could confirm your purchase with us as well.

After 2 weeks or so with my Arctic Dreams 10" mattress I can safely say that it was a fantastic purchase. The other 2 mattresses have also received rave reviews from the people I bought them for. The pillows I received from the promotion are also extremely fantastic! I like how it contours to my body’s shape, like a memory foam mattress, but without any of the sinkage of traditional memory foam! I can’t attest to the cooling capabilities but I have not woken up drenched in sweat from a night’s sleep so I will give it a thumbs up in that regard for now.

Will post another update in the coming months.

Hi themario,

Thank you for the short-term update on your new Arctic Dreams mattress. I’m happy that you and your friends are sleeping well upon it. :cheer: I’m looking forward to your future updates.

Phoenix

hey, I’m trying to order the Arctic Dreams 10" off their website, but when I try to apply the “tmu10” coupon code for the “10% off + 2 shredded foam pillows & 1 microfiber sheets set”, it tells me “Coupon “tmu10” does not exist!”

is this coupon for TMU posters no longer offered?

update: alright, I messaged a customer service rep named “Lilian” on the website live chat and she did something and got the coupon code working for me. not sure if it works for everyone now, or has to be done manually on a case-by-case basis. if you’re having difficulty getting the code to work at checkout, message their customer service on the live chat and they should be able to get it working for you.

Generally when such issues arise they can be easily resolved with a phone call to the seller, and then they will either take your order directly or apply the code to your online order. The code still appears to be valid according to the forum’s membership list, hope this helps!

Hi AJohnson,

I’m sorry for the confusion with the Dreamfoam discount code. Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are offering special discounts for Mattress Underground members through the end of the year, and the code I was provided for Brooklyn Bedding is different from the code to be used for Dreamfoam. This is a brand new discount, so I’m glad that they were able to take care of this for you. I’m expecting to get the corrected code for Dreamfoam later today and I will update it on the site.

Thank you!

Phoenix

Thank you very much Phoenix. Just wrote him an email. I was on a biz trip so couldn’t contact him earlier. Now looking forward to the mattress !

Hi th12isxy,

Thank you. I have updated things with Dreamfoam and have provided the complete details of their offer here.

Phoenix

My Arctic Dreams 10" arrived.

I’ve only slept on it one night, but g*****n is it a huge improvement over the Tuft & Needle I tried and returned.

my stats are 6’1" / 185lbs (24.4 BMI), back sleeper. no special health problems. no box spring / foundation, I just set it directly on my hardwood floor.

my first thought was that it felt a lot firmer than I was expecting. the amazon reviews made me think it was going to be pretty soft, but I’d say it’s medium firmness. definitely softer than the Tuft & Needle, but not by a whole lot.

the biggest difference is how the comfort layer conforms to my body, especially with filling in and supporting my lower back / lumbar area. this area was my main gripe with the Tuft & Needle, as its “T&N Adaptive Foam” comfort layer failed to fill in my lower back well enough, and I had to stick a towel under my lower back to feel comfortably supported. not so with the Arctic Dreams 10".

I’m not sure whether the 3" of Energex foam or the 0.75" of soft top foam is responsible for this, but it does an excellent job at evenly spreading the pressure out over my whole body and avoiding any pressure points. as soon as I lie down on this mattress I feel like I don’t want to move, and I automatically start getting sleepy (although I may have just been tired last night lol).

a unique property of Energex is that it actually becomes more bouncy as it warms up with your body heat. this is obviously fun if you’re a metal ball bearing, but does it translate into better sleep for humans? I’m not sure if this translates to better support while stationary, or if it could make it easier to change positions or what. I’d be interested to hear Phoenix’s thoughts on this property of Energex foam, and whether he thinks it could effect mattress performance.

I know the feel may soften up further in the next few weeks as it goes through its initial break-in period, and I’ll report back after I’ve given it some time to do so.

If I were a side sleeper, I may have wanted to go with the softer/thicker 12" version instead, so my shoulders would sink in more, but it’s hard to say right now since my mattress isn’t nearly finished breaking in, and may still soften up further.

as for durability concerns, I know that the soft top 0.75" top foam layer is of lower density, and may not have the best long-term durability. similarly, the support core base layer is standard 1.8lb density, but it is convoluted, so that may break down quicker as well. when that happens, I’m planning on cutting it open and harvesting the 3" of Energex to use in a future homemade custom frankenstein mattress. if I start getting any dips or divots months from now I’ll report back.

even after factoring in any long-term durability concerns, this mattress is still an insane deal at $250 for a queen, and knowing you’re supporting a manufacturer who owns their own factory and makes everything in-country is nice.

Hi AJohnson,

I’m happy that you’ve received your new mattress, and also glad that you are enjoying it so far! :cheer:

Energex does have a unique characteristic of softening slightly with body heat (not nearly as much as visco-elastic memory foam), while at the same time increasing resilience a bit (makes it easier to reposition). You can read a bit more about it here. Energex also doesn’t get harder as room temperature becomes cooler, unlike typical memory foam. And it also tends to be more durable. Strut reinforcing technology (SRT) used in Energex polyurethane foam basically creates a stronger cell framework by redistributing the polymer within the foam from the cell windows to the struts and nodes during foam production.

Yes, it should soften up a bit. I’ll look forward to your future updates.

The Arctic Dreams does represent one of the better values in budget-friendly bedding, I would agree.

Phoenix

It seems like I may have been too hasty in praising my new Arctic Dreams 10", as I’ve noticed some unoptimal behavior during my continued use, to the point where I’m probably going to return it.

(for reference, I’m 6’1", 185lbs, 24.4 BMI, back sleeper)

my main issue is with the Energex comfort layer. as it warms up with my body heat, it softens significantly (while also becoming bouncier). it softens to the point where I mostly flatten it, and I bottom out and noticeably come into contact with the hard core layer. the progressive resistance of the Energex when fully warmed up seems to be very little, and the contact with the core is uncomfortable. after a night of sleeping like this, I wake up with some soreness.

I think Energex is best used like memory foam, in that it should be used as a very top layer to provide conformity and hug, but it definitely needs a transitional layer with better progressive resistance (either latex, or one of the new high-density latex-like polyfoams) between it and the core underneath. the Love and Sleep mattress, also manufactured by Brooklyn Bedding, uses 1" of 2lb polyfoam as a transitional layer between the Energex and the core, and I’m assuming that this feels much better.

imo if you’re a lighter individual with a lower BMI, or if you prefer a firmer mattress, or both, the Arctic Dreams could work for you, but I collapse the Energex layer too much and end up feeling the core.

Hi AJohnson,

I’m sorry your 10" Arctic Dreams isn’t working out for you as well as you had hoped. :frowning: But at least you had the foresight to purchase something with a good return/exchange policy.

You are correct that Energex does have some “similar” properties to memory foam, being quite plush and pressure-relieving, but it is more breathable and less temperature sensitive. In your situation, as the mattress “broke-in” and the foam lost some of its “false firmness”, at 2.5" of Energex this doesn’t seem to be enough for your particular needs for comfort layers, and you’re “feeling through” the Energex to the polyfoam core, which even with its convoluted top surface (to ease transitioning) is still uncomfortable for your personally. You may be correct that you might benefit from a bit more/substantial comfort/transition layers atop the support core of any future mattress choice.

I’ll be interested to learn what you eventually decide to do.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=74923]Hi AJohnson,

I’m sorry your 10" Arctic Dreams isn’t working out for you as well as you had hoped. :frowning: But at least you had the foresight to purchase something with a good return/exchange policy.

[…]

I’ll be interested to learn what you eventually decide to do.

Phoenix[/quote]

Yes, my experience with the company and their incredibly helpful customer service reps has been excellent so far. I’m bummed that the mattress didn’t end up working for me, since it’s such a great price. Hopefully I can provide them my feedback and they can consider it for any possible future iterations of the mattress.

On a whim I tried some 2" memory foam topper of unknown density we had lying around on my Arctic Dreams 10" last night, but I think the resulting 5.25" total of low-support comfort layer ended up creating some hammocking, and my back didn’t feel too great when I woke up.

My last choices in this budget range appear to be Zinus and Addable. Although both have a top layer of memory foam followed by a layer of transition polyfoam for comfort layers, Zinus doesn’t provide info on the density or ILD of their transition layer (I emailed them, we’ll see).

Also the memory foam and core are both of higher quality/density materials in the Addable compared to Zinus. Addable also scores more points with me because they have a very long 181 day trial period, it’s made in the USA, and they provide layer densities and ILD’s right in their specs section.

My only concern is that the Addable’s 1.8lb polyfoam transition layer is rated at 20 ILD, which seems a little on the softer side? In comparison, the Arctic Dreams Energex layer that I went right through was rated at 28 ILD according to the sales rep I spoke to. I’m not sure whether they rated that at room temp or heated up to body temp though, and a single ILD number also says nothing about the rate of progressive firmness as the material becomes more compressed.

If the Addable doesn’t work out for me, I’m just going to say to heck with it all and build a mattress by putting some custom combination of latex toppers on top of a 6" foam core.

Hi AJohnson,

I’m happy to hear that Dreamfoam has been helpful to you. And I don’t doubt that adding the extra memory foam on top of your current Arctic Dreams made it too soft for your preference.

Regarding Zinus, I would also read post #6 here about mattresses imported from Asia or China and which may have been compressed for long periods of time in either shipping or storage before being purchased and a forum search on Zinus (you can just click this) will bring up more information and feedback about some of their brands and mattresses, and being sourced in China would make this somewhat of a risky purchase IMO.

The Energex compresses at a different rate than the polyfoam in the Addable, and without getting into too much detail, ILD is not the most reliable indicator of how soft or firm a layer will feel. Compression modulus is even more important because very few people actually sink into a layer exactly 25% and compression modulus is the rate at which a foam gets firmer as you compress it more. And the polyfoam layer will firm up at a different rate than the Energex.

Trying to predict how a mattress will feel and perform using only one of many “specs” or variables that are involved can be somewhat risky or misleading and even the most experienced mattress designers that are familiar with and have a great deal of experience with all the many variables and specs that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress can often be surprised at what a mattress was “supposed” to feel like based on specs and what it “actually” feels like in real life so in practical terms the only reliable way to know how any specific combination of materials and specs will feel like for you would be based on your own actual testing or personal experience. Specs can be a very rough guideline that can help you “find the range” but there are far too many unknowns and variables to use them to find the “best” combination or materials or components that would be suitable for any specific person with any degree of certainty.

Like Dreamfoam, Addable is a site member here, which means I think highly of them, so if you do choose to select their mattress I’m sure they will provide you excellent service along the lines you’ve received from Dreamfoam.

Phoenix

I didn’t even think about this. Having a mattress not expand properly or having its durability compromised by being compressed for too long is one my my biggest foam mattress paranoias, so this rules the Zinus right out. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi AJohnson,

You’re welcome.

Phoenix