Dreamfoam new Arctic Dreams mattress similar to Tuft and Needle?

I’ve pretty much gotten used to the mattress by now. I do feel it breaking in a little, so I’m probably going to rotate it soon. In any case, my parents haven’t found the time to open theirs yet. With that in mind…how long can a mattress “healthily” be left in vacuum-sealed packaging?

Hi drm870,

It would probably be best to call Dreamfoam and ask them this since they are more familiar with the materials and any testing they have done than I am but in very general terms I think that a few weeks to a month would probably be “safe”.

Phoenix

I have the Arctic dreams mattress on order in full size to use as a solitary post knee surgery daily bed. I am a bigger and taller gal and will be placing this mattress on a metal folding platform frame. I will let y’all know how it feels as a daily sleeper once I set it up and surgery comes.

Hi Mo!,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Time for an update…

After a bit more time, the side of the mattress I’ve been sleeping on is noticeably softer than the other side. While I suspect that this is normal break-in still, given the quality of the materials, it is now probably what you would call “at the edge” (or maybe slightly past the edge) of what’s comfortable for me. Given the low price and the fact that I got it off Amazon (which is the only place they offer it currently), I think I’m still going to keep it, as it’s not all that uncomfortable yet. I am, however, probably going to indeed go for a mattress that’s firmer next time I’m due for a new one. (I’ll also likely be aiming at latex, as after sleeping on an Energex mattress for a month I’ve come to realize I’d probably like the feel of the former more.) In the meantime, I’m going to rotate my mattress for the first time tonight.

As one note of optimism, I can report that I am in the midst of trying to lose weight. Assuming I reach my goal, the difference will be drastic enough (minus over 120 pounds) that I suspect the mattress will work better then. (And again, it’s not too bad now.)

Lastly, my parents are still trying to figure out what foundation to get for their setup, so they haven’t used the mattress yet. The good news is that while they are both technically overweight, neither of them is near as much so (relative to a normal person) as I am. So I think they’ll probably have better luck.

I’ll update again eventually. Until then, over and out. :slight_smile:

Hi drm870,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Once you have gone through the initial break in and adjustment period then any further softening will be much more slow and gradual over a more extended period of time and it’s good to see that you are rotating your mattress as well to even things out.

Losing that much weight would also make a difference in how firm a mattress feels as well (foam mattresses will feel softer for those that are in higher weight ranges than the same mattress will feel for those that are lighter).

There is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here and some of the information and comments in this topic (which would apply to any foam mattress) may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Hi, I just ordered the Arctic Dreams by Dream Foam to replace my futon. Really excited and so glad to have stumbled upon your website. Thank you

Hi Sleep71,

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I just ordered the Arctic Dreams mattress for our guest bedroom after doing some research on this site. Thanks for all the info.

Hi izzy001,

You also made a great quality/value choice and I hope you also have the chance to share your comments and feedback when you’ve received it.

Phoenix

:wink: My Arctic Dreams mattress is suppose to arrive on Wednesday night! I’ll check back in and let you know how I like it after I get some proper sleep on it.

Hi MikeyP,

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

After tons of research both here and elsewhere on the internet, I decided to make the Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams 10" Cooling Gel Mattress my first memory foam mattress purchase. I’ll be receiving mine next Tuesday, and the details that eventually swayed me were: Made in the USA + CertiPUR-US certification, fast response Energex gel foam, and of course, the price. Really looking forward to starting the new year with my new bed! Will check in again later once I’ve had time to test it out.

Hi taylor.d,

You certainly made a great quality value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Just for reference … the Energex is a high performance polyfoam which is a high quality/density and durable material but the Arctic Dreams doesn’t contain any memory foam.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on your new mattress for a bit.

Phoenix

My wife and I were in the market for a value king sized mattress to upgrade from a full. We ended up going with the Arctic Dreams.

Similar to above, I spent hours sorting through mattress reviews and websites. I ended up all over the web, including SLTD, and eventually ended up here. Thankfully, your mattress forum informed me about the objective quality of mattresses beyond the often listed specs (ie the density of foams, certifications, etc).

I wanted to buy online as I dread going into stores, so I inevitably came across many brands like Zinus, Costco/Target/Walmart brands, T&N, and more. We have a tight budget, so wanted to stay around $500 if possible. I was surprised when I found an American made mattress at this price point ($349.00 regular price as of today).

I don’t expect it to be on par with a $2,000 mattress, but for $314.10 (using their 10% promo), I have a feeling this will be hard to beat. I used their online chat for close to an hour, and Chuck answered plenty of my questions, and he echoed that this is their best option at this price point until you jump up the the latex ones (which start at twice the price). He said it should last 7-12 years, which is good enough for me at this price.

I’ll post a follow-up after receiving and testing it out over our 45 day trial period!

Hi delgjm49,

Welcome and I’m glad you found us … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice and the quality and durability of the materials in the Arctic Dreams mattress is very unusual to find in a mattress in this budget range (or even significantly higher).

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’m in the market for a new mattress and I’m looking at both the Tuft & Needle and Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams mattresses. I was originally set to go with the Tuft & Needle after sleeping on one for a weekend at my cousin’s house recently, but after some thorough research which led me to this site and this thread in particular, I’ve now added the Arctic Dreams as a possibility. I like the cost savings difference between the two mattresses and would be interested to hear from Powerattack again (post #10) since he owns both mattresses. I’m just curious how the Arctic Dreams is holding up now after 6 months? I’m also open to hearing from other Arctic Dreams owners as well.

Thanks Phoenix for this informative site. It’s quite impressive to say the least. Especially for the uninformed like myself. Your attention to detail is quite astounding. Kudos!

Hi gem-n-Eye,

Hopefully powerattack or any of the other members that own the mattress will see your post and share their comments but I would keep in mind that even a very low quality mattress will generally hold up for more than 6 months so this type of very short term feedback won’t really tell you much if anything about the durability of a mattress.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

Phoenix

Just wanted to chime in to say I ordered the Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams mattress from Amazon. I’m not sure if the free pillow promo applies if we order it from Amazon instead of directly from Dreamfoam, but either way, I’m looking forward to my new mattress. Hoping for the best! :slight_smile:

Thanks again Phoenix for this website. Lots of good information here.

Posting again to confirm that I chatted with Chuck via dreamfoambedding.com chat function and he told me that I do qualify for the free pillow promo. Thanks, Chuck!