Dreamfoam new Arctic Dreams mattress similar to Tuft and Needle?

I will start this by saying the mattress world is so confusing. I talked to tuft and needle and they tell me how their foam is so amazing and can’t be used by anyone, but they won’t tell you anything about it. I then call Dreamfoam bedding and they tell me they use the same foam in their new bed on Amazon called the Arctic Dreams. Can you tell me what you know or think of the Energex foam? Dreamfoam says it is what Tuft uses. Any thoughts on someone being able to use the same types of foams between different companies?

Just checked Amazon. Here’s the mattress, for reference: Amazon.com

Hi sleepyjoe870,

You can read a little more about the materials in the Tuft & Needle mattress in posts #2 and #6 here. While they may be using a variation of the high performance polyfoam that is different from other manufacturers in terms of its specific density, formulation, or firmness … it would be very similar to other high performance polyfoam made by the same or other foam pourers and used by many other mattress manufacturers in terms of quality/density and durability. Energex in general is a high quality/density and durable high performance polyfoam material regardless of its specific firmness, density, or formulation.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or the exchange return options that are available to you).

The Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams mattress is very new and I don’t know the specifics of the materials inside it so if you can find out the information listed in this article about the density of the foam layers inside it then I’d certainly be happy to make some additional comments about it as well.

Phoenix

Asked Chuck what the Arctic Dreams’ foam densities were via their website’s chat functionality. The Energex comfort layer is 3 lbs. and the base is 1.8 lbs.

Hi drm870,

I’ve been very busy the last few days with things that are connected to a recent move so I didn’t have the chance to ask them myself yet. Thanks for taking the time to check … I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

While it may have a different firmness level or “feel” from the Tuft & Needle because of any differences in the properties or firmness levels of the foams … the density specs you listed are very similar to the Tuft & Needle and it would be equivalent to the Tuft and Needle in terms of durability. There are no lower quality materials or weak links in either mattress that would be any cause for concern for anyone that wasn’t in an unusually high weight range.

Phoenix

I just ordered the Dreamfoam version (posting to get my free pillow)

Hi Powerattack,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

I have to admit, despite the fact that it may be slightly softer than I was shooting for, I’m somewhat tempted by this mattress. For the price-to-quality ratio, it seems hard to beat. Chuck seems to think I might do alright on it despite my weight since I’m a side-sleeper, Additionally, Chuck confirmed my suspicion that this is an introductory price (though he said he’s unsure when the adjustment will be made). The big draw for me, despite the PPP question, is that it might be cheap enough at this price to convince my parents to take the plunge on an online mattress (which they’ve been cautious at the prospect of, so far). That said, I don’t want to rush into this. What’s your take, Phoenix?

Hi drm870,

I can’t speak to whether a mattress would be a good “match” for someone else since the only way to know this with any certainty would be based on your own test or your actual sleeping experience but as you know it’s certainly a great quality/value choice.

While the base layer is a little lower density than I would normally suggest for someone in your weight range … it’s also in a very low budget range which may make any tradeoff between the useful life of the mattress and the lower price worth it to you.

They also have a good 45 day trial period policy (if you purchase the mattress through the Dreamfoam site) so if for some reason you don’t sleep well on then the worst case is that it would cost you $99 to return it.

Overall … it’s a great quality/value choice and you would be hard pressed to find better quality/density materials in a mattress in this budget range but you are the only one that can decide whether it’s the “best choice” for you in terms of PPP, quality and durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the return/exchange options you have available after a purchase if the mattress doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Phoenix

Sorry for the delay with my update. I had mentioned that I had the king tuft and needle bed and was buying the arctic dreams for my son. I like a firm mattress so I really like the t&n mattress. With the t&n mattress you are not sinking into the top at all. My wife sleeps on her side, so we had to get the free topper from t&n for her to want to keep it. I don’t think the arctic dreams is soft but it has a different top to it that lets you sink into it just a bit more. When it comes to quality, I think they are one and the same. Both beds seem well built. I have had the t&n bed for 60 days and my arctic dreams bed for 7 days or so. I guess between the two beds for me it came down to the price. I like the idea of the free return from t&n but you have to pay 2-3 times the price to get the free return. Recap I think they are both great beds. I would recommend either one but if you are not that picky of a sleeper save the money. If you are a picky sleeper you should weigh the cost of the free return. It could be worth it to pay more. I hope this helps!!

Hi Powerattack,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and comparisons between your Arctic Dreams and your Tuft & Needle … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I think it should be helpful for other forum members that are considering the same mattresses as well.

Phoenix

Sounds like the Tuft & Needle may have been more up my alley preference-wise. Still, I can’t say the Arctic Dreams isn’t a great value, and I have yet to wake up sore or anything! In other news, my parents get theirs tomorrow, according to tracking! :slight_smile: (You all can read my more detailed comments on this mattress here.)

Hello all,

Just for the benefit of those that were reading or following this topic … I changed the title and included a “?” so it’s a more accurate reflection of the content of the topic.

Phoenix

King-sized for the 'rents arrived today. :slight_smile: Interestingly enough, this box is shorter but wider than the box my queen arrived in. I can only conclude that their more advanced compressor (which compresses the sides of a mattress before flattening it) was used for this one, as the box size is similar to what the #BestMattressEver ships in.

Hi drm870,

I’ll be interested to hear how they like it as well.

Phoenix

I’ve pretty much gotten used to the mattress by now. I do feel it breaking in a little, so I’m probably going to rotate it soon. In any case, my parents haven’t found the time to open theirs yet. With that in mind…how long can a mattress “healthily” be left in vacuum-sealed packaging?

Hi drm870,

It would probably be best to call Dreamfoam and ask them this since they are more familiar with the materials and any testing they have done than I am but in very general terms I think that a few weeks to a month would probably be “safe”.

Phoenix

I have the Arctic dreams mattress on order in full size to use as a solitary post knee surgery daily bed. I am a bigger and taller gal and will be placing this mattress on a metal folding platform frame. I will let y’all know how it feels as a daily sleeper once I set it up and surgery comes.

Hi Mo!,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Time for an update…

After a bit more time, the side of the mattress I’ve been sleeping on is noticeably softer than the other side. While I suspect that this is normal break-in still, given the quality of the materials, it is now probably what you would call “at the edge” (or maybe slightly past the edge) of what’s comfortable for me. Given the low price and the fact that I got it off Amazon (which is the only place they offer it currently), I think I’m still going to keep it, as it’s not all that uncomfortable yet. I am, however, probably going to indeed go for a mattress that’s firmer next time I’m due for a new one. (I’ll also likely be aiming at latex, as after sleeping on an Energex mattress for a month I’ve come to realize I’d probably like the feel of the former more.) In the meantime, I’m going to rotate my mattress for the first time tonight.

As one note of optimism, I can report that I am in the midst of trying to lose weight. Assuming I reach my goal, the difference will be drastic enough (minus over 120 pounds) that I suspect the mattress will work better then. (And again, it’s not too bad now.)

Lastly, my parents are still trying to figure out what foundation to get for their setup, so they haven’t used the mattress yet. The good news is that while they are both technically overweight, neither of them is near as much so (relative to a normal person) as I am. So I think they’ll probably have better luck.

I’ll update again eventually. Until then, over and out. :slight_smile: