Dreamfoam new Arctic Dreams mattress similar to Tuft and Needle?

Hi agriffis,

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

I’ll look forward to your comments after you’ve received your new mattress and have had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

And I’m glad you found the forum useful.

Phoenix

Any update on this? A 1.5 lb density layer of CONVOLUTED polyfoam sounds like a serious weak link. 1.5 lb would be bad enough, but convoluted as well? Yikes.

Let us know how it works out

Hi jw777,

I’ve been able to speak with the people at Dreamfoam and I have some clarification for the difference in reporting on the density of their base layer of polyfoam in the Arctic Dreams.

While the Arctic Dreams is an entry-priced mattress, it uses some very high quality materials. When the design first came out, Dreamfoam was receiving polyfoam cores in the 1.75 lb. range, which is classified in the 1.8 lb. “bucket”. Polyfoam densities aren’t exact numbers, and many manufacturers will put anything from 1.55 lb. to 1.8 lb. in the 1.8 lb. “bucket”. Recently, Dreamfoam has been receiving their polyfoam cores for the Arctic Dreams in the 1.55 – 1.75 lb. range. So, they’re being conservative and classifying this as 1.5 lb. polyfoam, even though they certainly could continue to classify it as 1.8 lb. It’s more along the lines of “under-promising and over-delivering”. The slight amount of convolute is still there, which does provide for a bit of extra airflow and in a mattress of this type isn’t a concern for design durability.

Overall, the Arctic Dreams is a great quality/value choice and you’d be hard pressed to find better quality/density materials in a mattress in this budget range. It’s unusual to find materials of this quality/durability in this price range (or even higher).

Phoenix

Thank you for checking on that.

It seems to me that despite their excuses, the majority of the mattress is made with polyfoam with density that is definitely less than 1.8 pounds per cubic foot, which Phoenix has previously stated many times as a lower limit, below which it is likely a weak link.

Of course, as you say, the price is also low relative to many other mattresses. It seems that this is a case where you get what you pay for, or rather, you do not get what you do not pay for – high-quality foam with good durability and longevity. But at about half the price of a mattress with higher quality foam, it only has to last half as long as a more expensive mattress in order for people to get their money’s worth. So it may be worth considering, despite the weak link, as long as people realize that the foam quality is a step below that of some more expensive mattresses.

By the way, I normally do not correct spelling on other people’s posts, but in this case, it is probably worthwhile to make the correction for future keyword searches. The mattress is “Arctic Dreams”, with two c’s.

Hi jw777,

Thank you for pointing out my spelling errors. :ohmy: It is of course the Arctic Dreams. For some reason my fingers don’t work well with that word.

Your characterization of the re-classification of this base polyfoam as an “excuse” is inaccurate, and a bit confusing to me. It is fact in the industry that manufacturers will classify anything above 1.55 lb. polyfoam as high-density (moving up to the 1.8 lb. designation), but to the credit of Dreamfoam they are being more conservative and accurate in their designation. There isn’t enough of this responsible representation of component information within our industry, and it’s something that I applaud as a welcome breath of fresh air.

Regarding density, it is true I recommend 1.8 lb. or higher in density, unless you are in a lower budget range (see this post), where a 1.5 lb. would be acceptable, and this particular core represents a very high value in a lower-budget range product.

This is very true, and it is exactly what this mattress is designed to be – an inexpensive mattress using foams of a higher quality than what you’d normally find in its price range.

Again, your “tone” seems somewhat bent on disparaging this mattress, which isn’t represented as anything but what it is – a budget-prices mattress that uses good quality materials for the price point. And “getting what you pay for” is only accomplished when you’re an educated consumer and find out the information listed here. I personally don’t like to use that phrase, as it implies that anything less expensive is low-quality, while anything more expensive high-quality. Of course, any casual reader on this forum who’s done just an hour of research will know that this certainly doesn’t apply to the mattress industry (and of course many other industries as well).

Price by itself is not a representation of product quality, and the Arctic Dreams has better quality foam than many other more expensive mattresses, as been mentioned many times in this thread and in others. Knowing the componentry used within a mattress (which is not in question with this product) is the only way to assess if it is appropriate for someone as it relates to their particular needs and personal value equation. There is no debate, even from comments that forum members have left with their conversations with Dreamfoam and my own personal conversations with them, about the focus of this product as a good value, budget-priced mattress.

Thanks again for catching my spelling errors and allowing me to help clarify the specifications of this mattress and expound further on budget-priced mattresses.

Phoenix

You are confused? I’d say you are the one who is creating the confusion. Why do your guidelines specify 1.8 if they really mean 1.55? This isn’t rocket science, it is basic arithmetic.

"Once you know the type and thickness of all the layers and components in a mattress then you can identify whether the mattress has any lower quality materials or weak links that can compromise the durability and the useful life of the mattress by comparing them to the following guidelines.

Polyurethane foam (often called polyfoam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that the density of any polyfoam is at least 1.8 lb per cubic foot or higher."

Last I checked, 1.55 to 1.75 is indeed less than 1.8. So this mattress has “lower quality materials or weak links that can compromise the durability”. Except now you claim that 1.8 really means 1.55. So this mattress is okay after all. Hmmmm. Sounds like excuses to me.

Where does the inflation in densities stop? I think that many of the big ‘S’ brands that are routinely criticized here have 1.5 pound per cubic foot density polyfoam. Does 1.5 also count as 1.8? How about 1.3? Maybe 1.2? That’s almost as good as 1.8.

jw777.

Your posts are becoming increasingly less meaningful and are misrepresentative of what has been stated on this forum. It is becoming clear that you have a personal agenda (as is evidenced by your first post which was a negative attack on a particular product) as opposed to most members who come here seeking information.

Yoiur attempt to hijack this thread for your own personal gratification becomes increasingly evident, and just to give you the benefit of the doubt I’ll make a few more comments to again correct your erroneous strawman arguments and then I will end of this part of our discussion. Beyond this, I will caution you that if you continue to misrepresent what I have stated or continue to be argumentative, I will take your posts and transfer them to a separate thread where they can languish and receive the appropriate lack of attention that they deserve, and revoke your posting privileges. I’ve had to do this with very few people in the past, as what you are doing is forum trolling and taking my energies away from those who truly visit this site for accurate information.

It seems to me that you are either not reading things in context or that you selectively pick and choose things that make your point. (And possibly hidden agenda.) In the same Mattress Durability Guidelines post from where you pasted the above quote you will also find the context for including lower densities in the base layers of a mattress.

"In lower BMI ranges then using slightly lower quality/density and less durable materials can be a little less risky because you won’t sink into the mattress as much and lower density foam materials won’t be subject to the same degree of compression that cause them to soften and break down as quickly as they would for higher weight ranges. While I would generally use the same guidelines as for a BMI that is less than 30, if you are restricted to lower budget ranges where higher quality materials may not be available (say under $400 or so) and if there is a lower quality/density layer that is deeper in the mattress and has an inch or two of higher quality and more durable materials above it then a slightly lower minimum guideline of 3 lb. per cubic foot density for memory foam or 1.5 lb. per cubic foot density for polyfoam may be worth considering as a reasonable “cost/durability compromise”. See the Mattress Durability Guidelines

Having a 1.55 lb foam in the base layer especially for someone with a lighter body type (lower BMI) would not affect substantially the durability of a mattress and therefore does not consist a weak link in the mattress.

Here you are again showing your lack of knowledge about foam classifications and conveniently ignoring the information presented very clearly in my last post regarding how foam companies and manufacturers label the density of their products. While 1.55 lb. and above can be technically classified as 1.8 lb., I nor no one else has the ability to check with each company and ask for their foam averages for the classification they use. Dreamfoam being conservative in their rating is to be applauded, and is in fact quite accurate.

The new change in the specs of Arctic Dream is reflected on the site accurately and while I certainly do not advocate for one mattress or another, I do point to value wherever I see it whether for a member or nonmember of this site. Budget limitations and range and price vs quality and “commodity” value of materials are certainly part or the personal value equation of purchasing a mattress. Most people understand what a “reasonable expectation” looks like relative to different budgets.

The biggest “tradeoffs” for lower budgets “should be” the range of good quality and durable materials that are available, the amount of higher quality and more costly materials in the mattress, and the durability and useful life of the materials in your mattress and how long it will maintain its comfort and support before you need to replace it … not the “marketing story” that goes with the mattress. While the reality is that higher quality and higher performance materials, more specialized materials, and more durable materials will all come with a higher cost … See the Personal value equation:

Making nonsensical arguments with yourself doesn’t contribute to your credibility nor does it contribute at all to the advancement of information on the forum, and is again indicative of your desire to advance your own agenda and/or “vendetta”. This forum is not your playground.

Your comments continue to go around in circles and cover old ground and purposely misrepresent what I’ve stated and industry standards. Your trolling will not be allowed in the future and this is your first and final warning. Continuing to correct your posts and misrepresentations takes my time away from helping those who visit this forum with the express intent to learn. There certainly are other forums where you are welcome to post and they will welcome your misleading statements. I’ve given you enough rope and you are at the end. Either respect the intent of the forum and obey its rules … or you will no longer be able to use it.

Phoenix

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the information in this thread. Based on what I’ve seen, this is one of my better bets in my budget range. Our last mattress has been utter crap. We’ve gone through two of them in less than two years. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer. It doesn’t have to last a real long time, we’re hoping to upgrade to a king bed in the not distant future. We just want a bed that’s not going to murder our backs as badly until then. I will try to remember to come back and post my thoughts on it once I’ve received it and had a few nights to sleep on it.

Hi avatar28,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry your other mattresses haven’t worked out well for you, but the Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams certainly is a great value in the lower budget ranges.

I look forward to your comments about your new mattress once you’ve received it and have had a chance to sleep on it longer than a few nights.

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer:

Phoenix

Hello , I’m ordering two Arctic Dream mattresses tomorrow morning for myself and my roommate. I am getting the 10" as I am 5’9" 150lbs and my roommate is getting a 12" because he is 6’4" 300lbs. If you have any reason my or his choice is a bad idea due to size please let me know! If you see this in time lol I am also curious if the free pillow promo is happening or any other ones I should know about?

We are both getting queen sized if it makes a difference.

I had spoken to Chuck over at Dreamfoam about a king 12" Arctic Dreams mattress for a heavier couple (both individuals ~300lb) and he responded as following:
“You can’t beat the price point it sits at, but we typically don’t recommend the Arctic Dreams bed for anyone over 240lb. I think you will have concerns with the softness rating and support.”

Whether or not that advice might be different for one heavy individual on a queen vs two on a king I couldn’t say, but I figured I’d pass along the information I was given.

Hi Dabsforsleep,

I just saw your post and I think that Spelaeus did a great job replying with the information he was provided by Chuck at Dreamfoam. For someone who is 300 pounds, the materials used in the Arctic Dreams wouldn’t generally be recommended. The Arctic Dreams is a great value for what it offers at the price, but they’ll be the first to honestly assist you with advice about what may or may not be most appropriate for your specific needs.

Hi Spelaeus,

Thanks for your comments about your conversation with Chuck at Dreamfoam!

Phoenix

Thanks for all the replys everyone! My roommate decided for the price Arctic dreams is a must try but if he doesn’t like the it in 6months time or so he will just try something else. I personally think this bed is going to be amazing for my fiancé and I. We ordered two queen size mattresses and couldn’t be more excited to get them in! Also posting for the pillows. I will update my replys in a couple months when we have had some break in time on the mattresses.

Hi Dabsforsleep,

Congratulations on your new mattress!:slight_smile: You certainly found an excellent value for the price point.

I’ll look forward to your comments in a few months.

Phoenix

Thanks for this informative post, I was about to order a Tuft & Needle mattress before seeing this thread. But after seeing as Dreamfoam is also recommended as being high quality mattress, I decided to give the Arctic Dreams a go. Will report back once I try it out.

Hi lamyourpal,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer: As you know, you certainly made a good value choice in the lower-price point category. I look forward to your comments after you’ve had a chance to try out your mattress for a while.

Phoenix

Your website is very useful and informative, if I could I would buy a latex mattress, but as the subject states, I am on a very tight budget. I also find that I am in desperate need of a new mattress. I am currently on a 6 year old Sealy bought at Sears on sale, it is your run of the mill spring pillow top. I sleep alone and have been on the same spot for 6 years, needless to say, there is a horrible indent and I can hear the springs moving. I had bought a memory foam mattress off the internet, no particular brand that I can remember and had to give it away after about a month or so, couldn’t stand the feeling that I was sinking ever deeper into foam. I have been using a latex pillow from Brooklyn Bedding for the past 3 years and on another latex one for 7 years before that one, I know I prefer the feeling and comfort of latex. That being said, I know latex is expensive, but I was wondering if there is a happy medium?
I have painful joints after my chemo treatments and spinal stenosis as well. I need to spend my money wisely, and have to purchase something soon, so I am asking for your informative opinion. After much time spent reading posts and your articles, what appears to be a good compromise for me is the Dream Foam Bedding Arctic Dream mattress. I just need to make sure it is a good value that will last a few years. I am 5’7 and 185 lbs, so I was wondering if the 8" one would be better suited for my build and for the not sinking in issue. Maybe you know of something else that can help, buying blindly off the internet can be unnerving.
Thank you

Hello Phoenix and assorted Arctic Dream owners! I just received my Medium-Soft King, and I’m already impressed! I made a small mistake in unboxing, though…Dreamfoam recommends letting the mattress rest for six to seven hours before sleeping on it, and I need to be in bed in two.

Is there any risk of me damaging the mattress by sleeping on it so soon, or are those recommendations just for comfort purposes?